New graphics card for 2009 Mac Pro?

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions
Tim S
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
New graphics card for 2009 Mac Pro?
Jul 5, 2012

Has anyone upgraded their 2009 mac pro graphics card? Just wonder if its worth it for general PS work, D800 200mb tiff's.

To be honest it's not slow, I guess the only slow bit is after using a nik plugin to do its stuff.

Tim

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
W Pontius
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
Re: New graphics card for 2009 Mac Pro?
In reply to Tim S, Jul 5, 2012

I have 8 GB of ram in my MacPro (late 2009) and have no problems with speed in CSs5 with the complete NIK suite. I have been happy with the system.
--
W.Pontius

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yidahoo
Regular MemberPosts: 344
Like?
In reply to W Pontius, Jul 5, 2012

If you are running snow leopard or above, you can put a generic Radeon 6870 in the 09 Mac Pro, I have done so. It will run almost perfectly without the need for the Rom to be flashed and will cost 1/3 of the price Apple charges for graphic card updates. The only thing you will not have is the Apple logo on boot. My original card was the GT120, this is now the secondary card driving another monitor. In terms of speed, I do a lot of FCPX HD video work as well as Aperture and the difference was night and day for FCPX and a definite improvement in Aperture.

This is a great site for information on how to put a non apple graphics card in a Mac Pro http://netkas.org/

JAson

http://theodessafiles.co.uk/portfolio

Tim S
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
In reply to Yidahoo, Jul 5, 2012

Nice one Jason, that's a useful answer.

Tim

ashley karyl
Regular MemberPosts: 416
Like?
In reply to Tim S, Jul 7, 2012

I had a 2009 8 Core Mac Pro with the standard video card but recently switched to the newer 2010 equivalent with the faster video card.

Overall the computers feel remarkably similar in terms of performance and for PS work I doubt you'll notice a huge difference most of the time, though your version of PS may influence that. I am not seeing the speed boosts often talked about in CS6 and overall it may even be a little slower than CS5.1.

For video I ran a test with a very graphics intensive animation and it was clear that the ATI Radeon HD 5770 on the new machine is considerably smoother in that context when pushed to the limit but whether it's worth paying out for that is debatable if your main focus is on still images. I have a friend who paid quite bit for the even faster version and said he was disappointed by the real world difference.

Personally I'm wondering about the merits of fitting an SSD and how much difference it would make inside PS and some other apps. I don't have the D800 but having worked on a few original Raw files it's clear that they require a lot horse power.

Tim S wrote:

Has anyone upgraded their 2009 mac pro graphics card? Just wonder if its worth it for general PS work, D800 200mb tiff's.

To be honest it's not slow, I guess the only slow bit is after using a nik plugin to do its stuff.

Tim

Tom Ferguson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,181
Like?
In reply to ashley karyl, Jul 7, 2012

My MacvPro is a 1.1 (so a bit older that the OP's) and I recently had to replace the original video card. I too went with the ATI 5770. Because I also added more memory at the same time as the new card, I can't really say how much the 5770 helped with speed. What I can say is that the 5770 is amazingly quiet

I kept running temperature monitor to make sure everything was OK! So nice and quiet!
--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads