Went to a local Street Fair - No Photography

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions
archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
Re: Went to a local Street Fair - No Photography
In reply to David Iliff, Jul 6, 2012

David Iliff wrote:

But that's not the point. Artists have many choices about how to market their work. They CHOOSE to display it in a public art show, and when they do that, have no choice but to accept that it's in public and they have no right to control what people do in public. I am somewhat sympathetic to the artists, of course, but I'm more sympathetic of the rights of photographers.

It is simply not fair to expect others to do what you want them to do, just because you've paid for a stall in a show. If it's such a problem, they should hold their stalls in public. In any case, if someone wanted to copy a product or a design, they don't have to take a photo. They have a brain, they can remember what it looks like.

Hey, maybe the idiot on the booth should put up a sign saying "NO STEPHEN WILTSHIRE'S"

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/

The guy is amazing - all done from memory!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
In reply to T3, Jul 6, 2012

Like many on this thread, I have tried to look at the "problem" from both sides. The rights of the individual under law, is [fairly] obvious in most cases. This is one of those grey areas, where common sense & courtesy should prevail, unfortunately no one had actually broken any "law" except the law of common sense. Where I live people who have had problems with others parking out side their property, have had notices printed saying; "POLITE NOTICE; NO PARKING" theintention is that the word POLITE is mistaken for POLICE. The point being that someone putting up a sign, does not give them the right to enforce it if no law is being broken. Surely, the fact he put the sign up in the first place meant he was expecting this to happen, so he should have been prepared to deal with it in a calmer & more civilised manner. lee uk

jeffcpix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
In reply to I Cant Believe Its Not Butter, Jul 6, 2012

Three situations:

Walking through the Red Light district of Amsterdam, it is
advisable to comply with the window signs saying No Photos lest

one be confronted with an objection from the occupant or her large and threatening 'friend'.

Walking along St. Mark's square in Venice and encountering
objections from shop owners who hold that their window displays
are proprietary and are to be seen only by retinas and not sensors,
it may be advisable to comply lest the shop owner ask his cousin
Guido the cop to ruin your holiday.

Walking through the English Garden in Munich and being stopped by an undercover
policeman who is enforcing what he believes is a German law which
prohibits taking photos of private citizens in public spaces, it is advisable
not to protest lest he accidentally spills a stein of beer on your Zeiss lens.

We who record what we see using decent quality cameras are at a severe disadvantage; how many 'cell phone' photographers do as they wish without notice or
objection?

Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678Gear list
Like?
In reply to Craig Gillette, Jul 6, 2012

Craig Gillette wrote:

That's kind of like photographers placing watermarks across their images or enforcing their copyright when images are copied. Other artists also have the right to control the way their products are copied. Instead of supporting another artist, you just made photographers look hypocritical.

Well that would be true if the OP was taking close up images of the actual product (or the product that the stall holder makes is actually stalls). As the OP made clear in his post he was photographing the street and the stalls in it. That isn't copyright infringement - you aren't "copying" an item (in the legal sense) when you take a photo that happens to include that item as part of a scene.

-- hide signature --

Dan
-

I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 7D 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them

I am learning photo graphee - see the results at http://www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to T3, Jul 6, 2012

T3 wrote:

SandyF wrote:

You apparently aren't aware of this, but in the arts & crafts world, there have been problems for years of people copying not only "product" but also the display setup.... the booth. Easiest way to record good ideas to copy... go around and take photos of other people's work (and display booths).
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

LOL, oh, the cutthroat, competitive, dog-eat-dog world of arts & crafts!

Sorry, but that just comes with the territory. Paranoia over everyone who has a camera doesn't solve the "problem."

I have a friend who owns a scrapbooking supply company. I helped her out a few months ago at an arts & crafts industry convention (not open to the public). EVERYONE walks around with cameras, taking photos of products, ideas, or displays they see or like at the various booths! NO ONE freaks out about it.

Trade show selling supplies may be a different situation than booths selling original art work. I made and sold items in craft shows for some 10 years and I've been chairman of a few fairly large shows too. If someone came up to a booth with original art work and snapped away, I can see how the artist/craftsman could be upset, or in advance, post 'no photography.'

On the other hand, photography is welcome and expected when you're demonstrating. I've demonstrated in colonial costume (at George Washington's Mt. Vernon) and photos are probably around the world LOL.

That's a different situation than someone taking closeups of someone else's original jewelry or items at an indoor craft show, in my opinion. If I saw a booth saying "no photography" just from politeness I wouldn't take photos of that booth. Simple courtesy.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,147Gear list
Like?
In reply to Larry Berman, Jul 6, 2012

NObody put their "home" out on main st. for all to gawk at...and take pix if they like.

Artists know the score before they venture out into the street. Like movie stars...they want u to look and pay...but not to look and walk away. Guess what ? it's free space.

Larry Berman wrote:

Here's the thing. Sandy had it right. I've been doing art shows for over 30 years and copying has always been a problem. Now that the down sliding economy is effecting the art shows, artists are a lot more sensitive to things that may effect their bottom line.

As for the blanket right to point your camera at what ever you choose, there seems to be a lack of common sense in this discussion. The artists pay a lot of money for their 10x10 space. For the amount of time the event is happening, it's their property and they expect the same courtesy as if you came into their home.
--
Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,147Gear list
Like?
In reply to jeffcpix, Jul 6, 2012

That's my point with use of smaller cams...the Sony RX100 will be huge in effect, small in notice-ability. My friend uses a 70-200 2.8 white lens...thinks he gets respect due to the pro look. duh. I think I get shots by being quick, small, and at a distance if possible.

Had a street vendor yell at me in Cartagena...my S100 is slow enough as is...and then someone walks into the frame...anther 3 seconds wasted. Fast, move on...get the shot. Facebook it. lol...

jeffcpix wrote:

Three situations:

Walking through the Red Light district of Amsterdam, it is
advisable to comply with the window signs saying No Photos lest

one be confronted with an objection from the occupant or her large and threatening 'friend'.

Walking along St. Mark's square in Venice and encountering
objections from shop owners who hold that their window displays
are proprietary and are to be seen only by retinas and not sensors,
it may be advisable to comply lest the shop owner ask his cousin
Guido the cop to ruin your holiday.

Walking through the English Garden in Munich and being stopped by an undercover
policeman who is enforcing what he believes is a German law which
prohibits taking photos of private citizens in public spaces, it is advisable
not to protest lest he accidentally spills a stein of beer on your Zeiss lens.

We who record what we see using decent quality cameras are at a severe disadvantage; how many 'cell phone' photographers do as they wish without notice or
objection?

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads