Went to a local Street Fair - No Photography

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions
happysnapper62
Contributing MemberPosts: 950
Like?
Re: another opinion
In reply to SteveJL, Jul 5, 2012

I still have a laminated ID "necklace" from a nightclass photography course I took earlier in the year. If anyone asks I tell them I am taking a photography course at the local 'tech & this is an assignment. Ihave the badge around my neck, & so far nobody has objected. Some even wish me luck with my assignment. lee uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
a1shot
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
Re: Went to a local Street Fair - No Photography
In reply to I Cant Believe Its Not Butter, Jul 5, 2012

You should have respected the guys request, a long time ago I learned if someone says No or requests No Photography don't be a jerk and take a pic.

The guy may well have had his reasons::::Who knows. But for now you are the jerk..

-- hide signature --

Ima' nice kinda guy!

Itsa Dry Heat
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
In reply to a1shot, Jul 5, 2012

a1shot wrote:

You should have respected the guys request, a long time ago I learned if someone says No or requests No Photography don't be a jerk and take a pic.

The guy may well have had his reasons::::Who knows. But for now you are the jerk..

Suppose the guy put up a sign saying no tank tops allowed within 20 feet? Would the guy who wore a tank top be a jerk also?

The guy has no right to post a sign with HIS silly rules. He really shouldn't be in a public place selling his product.

-- hide signature --

Ima' nice kinda guy!

T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,477
Like?
you stole his soul

Apparently, there are some people who still believe that if you take their picture, you are stealing their soul.

Some people are just a bit too uptight. I'm sure this guy is pretty uptight about other things in life, too. He also probably suffers from road rage and high blood pressure.

I Cant Believe Its Not Butter wrote:

I went to a local street fair this morning and was taking some pictures of some of the booths. One booth had a 'No Photography' sign at the bottom of the booth, but I took a picture anyway. I was not just taking a picture of his booth, but of others also.

Most people were nice about it. This one guy came over and yelled at me saying that I must delete the picture that I took. I then asked him to quote the law that I violated because I was on a public street.

He then cussed me out and told me to get lost. I just laughed and went on my merry way.

Why do these idiots think that they can control our rights to photography?

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088
Like?
In reply to Itsa Dry Heat, Jul 5, 2012

I think its hilarious when this happens. MOST people dont like having their picture taken, thats just a fact. Add in the fact that someone, anyone, might walk by, snap a pic of them and keep going and do who-knows-what with it, and youll really get some annoyed at taking their pic.

If you have the balls to take someones picture even when you know they dont want it taken, have the balls to be a man and dont b*tch on an internet forum. Seriously.

To the people who say, "no tank tops, cell phones, tattoos, etc.", thats not even close to the same as someone who you dont know taking your pic. Its a REALLY lame cop-out at trying to justify doing what MIGHT be legal, but DEFINITELY isnt kosher with a lot of people.

Quote the law all you want, I know people who have gotten their teeth knocked out for doing this. Guess what: No law suit in the world is worth getting your teeth knocked out.

Youre lucky all he did was scream at you. But youre right, you were definitely in the "right" and really showed him. You should try to find him and give him a link to this thread, I bet that'll really show him who's boss.
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,744Gear list
Like?

You apparently aren't aware of this, but in the arts & crafts world, there have been problems for years of people copying not only "product" but also the display setup.... the booth. Easiest way to record good ideas to copy... go around and take photos of other people's work (and display booths).
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
I Cant Believe Its Not Butter
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
In reply to DuaneV, Jul 5, 2012

DuaneV wrote:

I think its hilarious when this happens. MOST people dont like having their picture taken, thats just a fact. Add in the fact that someone, anyone, might walk by, snap a pic of them and keep going and do who-knows-what with it, and youll really get some annoyed at taking their pic.

I didn't take his picture. I took a photo of his booth from maybe 20 feet away.

If you have the balls to take someones picture even when you know they dont want it taken, have the balls to be a man and dont b*tch on an internet forum. Seriously.

I didn't take a picture of him. I just don't go around snapping pictures of random people.

To the people who say, "no tank tops, cell phones, tattoos, etc.", thats not even close to the same as someone who you dont know taking your pic. Its a REALLY lame cop-out at trying to justify doing what MIGHT be legal, but DEFINITELY isnt kosher with a lot of people.

Quote the law all you want, I know people who have gotten their teeth knocked out for doing this. Guess what: No law suit in the world is worth getting your teeth knocked out.

That certainly is true, but as I stated before I didn't see him.

Youre lucky all he did was scream at you. But youre right, you were definitely in the "right" and really showed him. You should try to find him and give him a link to this thread, I bet that'll really show him who's boss.

Not really interested because he was very rude. Now if he had asked in a nice tone of voice why I took a picture of his booth, I would have been nice back.

Like?
In reply to SandyF, Jul 5, 2012

SandyF wrote:

You apparently aren't aware of this, but in the arts & crafts world, there have been problems for years of people copying not only "product" but also the display setup.... the booth. Easiest way to record good ideas to copy... go around and take photos of other people's work (and display booths).
Best regards, Sandy

Sure, I am aware of it but that wasn't my intention. I was taking pictures of quite a few things, the church across the street, other booths, dogs, etc.. One thing that these artists must be aware of is that by being in public, you take that chance. What about a web-site that has products, t-shirts, etc.. on them? It's the same thing.

I will be more careful and I will try to avoid booths that have 'No Photography' signs on them so I don't get punched in the face!

a1shot
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?

I wonder if, and certainly hope your photographic skills are better than your people skills! - 101 reasons for the guy to say No Photography & only one reply - OK..

I wonder if your the guy that is always standing in front of the Professional Wedding Photographer?
--
Ima' nice kinda guy!

Like?
In reply to a1shot, Jul 6, 2012

a1shot wrote:

I wonder if, and certainly hope your photographic skills are better than your people skills! - 101 reasons for the guy to say No Photography & only one reply - OK..

What's wrong with my people skills? He wasn't even in the picture. I snapped the picture, then walked away. He came after me. The guy thinks he can make the rules as he goes along.

I wonder if your the guy that is always standing in front of the Professional Wedding Photographer?

Nope. Next question.

-- hide signature --

Ima' nice kinda guy!

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,439Gear list
Like?
OP...you were right.
In reply to I Cant Believe Its Not Butter, Jul 6, 2012

And I do the same thing. It's legal. If they don't want it, don't be on the street. Or hide the front ...so u have to go inside to see.

In public space...always photographer's right to photograph. Ppl need to be told that.

And also, it's legal to photograph young children and girls too. Find the law that prohibits it. I've gone to the law library. There is no such law. It's a myth. The only thing you can't do is to use the image..ie of an underage person..in a way to bring him/her into a morally questionable place...like contributing to the delinquency of a minor. And I never work that angle. Just decent images. You may get hassle, but that's the law. More info can be found in a site called model mayhem.
best wishes.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS 70D
foot
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646Gear list
Like?

a1shot wrote:

The guy may well have had his reason

yeah he could be a wanted criminal

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro
foot
Like?
In reply to SandyF, Jul 6, 2012

SandyF wrote:

Best regards, Sandy

yes! 1+

i was taking photos inside a fulltime christmass store. this was a long time ago,
way before youtube and ebay

the clerics (owners?) came over and asked me what i was doing, was i a professional, did i work for a magazine, what were the photos to be used for

they were very nice about it

i explained i was on vacation visiting my girlfriend (who was there) and
only in town for a short time and the photos were just for my personal
use. i did stop taking photos

my girlfriend and i ended up buying lots of nice christmass stuff for presents

Sigma DP2 Quattro
foot
Like?
In reply to I Cant Believe Its Not Butter, Jul 6, 2012

I Cant Believe Its Not Butter wrote:

a1shot wrote:

What's wrong with my people skills? He wasn't even in the picture. I snapped the picture, then walked away. He came after me. The guy thinks he can make the rules as he goes along.

Nope. Next question.

1+

ppl shouldn't be so 'understanding' of these situations.

1) he was in public and should have known a sign wouldn't work
2) if he didn't want them photographed, he could have setup a
'private' viewing booth with the photos not visible in public
3) creating sceens like this the ranting and raving guy will eventually
wind up on youtube, and go viral

of course that might be what he wanted anyway-
Sort of a DIY candid camera moment

Sigma DP2 Quattro
archiebald
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496
Like?
In reply to foot, Jul 6, 2012

foot wrote:

SandyF wrote:

Best regards, Sandy

yes! 1+

i was taking photos inside a fulltime christmass store. this was a long time ago,
way before youtube and ebay

the clerics (owners?) came over and asked me what i was doing, was i a professional, did i work for a magazine, what were the photos to be used for

they were very nice about it

i explained i was on vacation visiting my girlfriend (who was there) and
only in town for a short time and the photos were just for my personal
use. i did stop taking photos

my girlfriend and i ended up buying lots of nice christmass stuff for presents

Entirely different case because you were on private property. The OP in this thread wasn't.

Larry Berman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,607Gear list
Like?
In reply to foot, Jul 6, 2012

Here's the thing. Sandy had it right. I've been doing art shows for over 30 years and copying has always been a problem. Now that the down sliding economy is effecting the art shows, artists are a lot more sensitive to things that may effect their bottom line.

As for the blanket right to point your camera at what ever you choose, there seems to be a lack of common sense in this discussion. The artists pay a lot of money for their 10x10 space. For the amount of time the event is happening, it's their property and they expect the same courtesy as if you came into their home.
--
Larry Berman
http://BermanGraphics.com

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to SandyF, Jul 6, 2012

SandyF wrote:

Best regards, Sandy

LOL, oh, the cutthroat, competitive, dog-eat-dog world of arts & crafts!

Sorry, but that just comes with the territory. Paranoia over everyone who has a camera doesn't solve the "problem."

I have a friend who owns a scrapbooking supply company. I helped her out a few months ago at an arts & crafts industry convention (not open to the public). EVERYONE walks around with cameras, taking photos of products, ideas, or displays they see or like at the various booths! NO ONE freaks out about it.

T3
T3
Like?

a1shot wrote:

I think the "people skills" that are in question are the ones exhibited by the guy who thinks he can put up a sign in a public booth at a public art fair that says "No Photography". Sorry, but when you're in a public place, you're in a public place. Frankly, I think it was downright rude of him to even post that sign!

David Iliff
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to Larry Berman, Jul 6, 2012

Larry Berman wrote:

Here's the thing. Sandy had it right. I've been doing art shows for over 30 years and copying has always been a problem. Now that the down sliding economy is effecting the art shows, artists are a lot more sensitive to things that may effect their bottom line.

As for the blanket right to point your camera at what ever you choose, there seems to be a lack of common sense in this discussion. The artists pay a lot of money for their 10x10 space. For the amount of time the event is happening, it's their property and they expect the same courtesy as if you came into their home.

But that's not the point. Artists have many choices about how to market their work. They CHOOSE to display it in a public art show, and when they do that, have no choice but to accept that it's in public and they have no right to control what people do in public. I am somewhat sympathetic to the artists, of course, but I'm more sympathetic of the rights of photographers.

It is simply not fair to expect others to do what you want them to do, just because you've paid for a stall in a show. If it's such a problem, they should hold their stalls in public. In any case, if someone wanted to copy a product or a design, they don't have to take a photo. They have a brain, they can remember what it looks like.

T3
T3
Like?
In reply to Larry Berman, Jul 6, 2012

Larry Berman wrote:

If copying has "always" been a problem, then photography isn't the issue, is it? It's the mere fact that an object is seen in public that allows the copying. So a blanket ban on photography is going to be of no use, if copying has "always" been a problem.

What about the "common sense" idea that if you're showing your stuff out in public, someone in the public might take a photo of it? If you don't want your stuff to be seen in public, then don't put it out for people to see!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads