RX100 10MP mode = reducing 20MP in PP?

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions
DanK♂ FP6900
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?
RX100 10MP mode = reducing 20MP in PP?
Jul 4, 2012

So I noticed in the manual RX100 has 10MP mode which might be better for me as I don't intend to print huge prints. So, my question is whether 10MP mode would preserve the detail/quality the same way as reducing the image size in Photoshop from 20MP?

http://www.sony.com.hk/svcfiles/faq/DI/User_Guide_Eng/DSC-RX100/contents/04/02/01/01.html

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,286Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 10MP mode = reducing 20MP in PP?
In reply to DanK♂ FP6900, Jul 4, 2012

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

So I noticed in the manual RX100 has 10MP mode which might be better for me as I don't intend to print huge prints. So, my question is whether 10MP mode would preserve the detail/quality the same way as reducing the image size in Photoshop from 20MP?

You should wait then and get the new 12mp Samsung that was just announce.

http://www.sony.com.hk/svcfiles/faq/DI/User_Guide_Eng/DSC-RX100/contents/04/02/01/01.html

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830
Like?
In reply to NeilJones, Jul 4, 2012

This is a great question. I too have the same query and would love an informed answer.

Thanks.
MTMT

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,288Gear list
Like?
In reply to NeilJones, Jul 5, 2012

Why ?

NeilJones wrote:

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

You should wait then and get the new 12mp Samsung that was just announce.

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
Dank --- Re: RX100 10MP mode = reducing 20MP in PP?
In reply to DanK♂ FP6900, Jul 5, 2012

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

... So, my question is whether 10MP mode would preserve the detail/quality the same way as reducing the image size in Photoshop from 20MP?

Who could know this answer at this stage and without serious analysis? Why not shoot 20MP and reduce in PS. In the future, you may want the full 20MP.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
wazzzup
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?

DanK♂ FP6900 wrote:

I have a Sony HX20V and did some test about this.

Result: It doesn't matter if i resize the pcitures in Photoshop or directly in camera. They look almost the same.

i also tried some special picture-resize software. they are a little bit better than the in camera resize and photoshop but just a very little bit.

so if u only need 10MP you can set the resolutions to 10MP and you are fine.

(i do the same with my HX20V).

on the other side: the pcitures from the RX100 lock very good even at 100% with 20MP. So if you use the full 20MP you can crop the image later and still have a high resolution.

Long story short:
With the RX100 i would use the full 20MP

aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,066Gear list
Like?
Agree Bert / JPGs
In reply to BertIverson, Jul 5, 2012

Starting on Bert comment

Who could know this answer at this stage and without serious analysis? Why not shoot 20MP and reduce in PS. In the future, you may want the full 20MP.

• Other aspect is the file size

You surely don't need you need RAW so use smaller sized JPG, they can compress file size to incredible smaller files, try compressing them by 70-80 factor, you'd get some artifacts but won't loose image size

(In the future, you may want the full 20MP).

• The viewing size

If you plan to watch them on a TV set or a computer screen and supposing they will enhance by doubling their dpi at anytime, then you wouldn't need more that 4000px x 3000px, 12Mp image.

(but in the future, you may want the full 20MP).

• Camera shot size

Downsizing camera image size just crops from the whole sensor image size, it's better to resize a bigger image than just cropping it.

(but in the future, you may want the full 20MP anyway).

•• So, what would I do if wanting smaller files without loosing much resolution and without realizing that I paid for camera capabilities I won't need ever or simply replacing it by a, more than enough, 12Mp Cybershot?

Just compressing the 20Mp image files by using JPG compression without cropping.

That's what I'd do.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,066Gear list
Like?
HX7V or HX9V would be better for you.

My conclusion is that

You shouldn't have purchased RX100V but a much more flexible DSC-HX9V with 16x Optical Zoom or DSC-HX7V.

Any of them would have been a much better camera for your needs (my thought).
--
aaanouel

Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.

Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads