7D firing twice when shutter pressed half way, anyone else?

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions
aldownunder
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: How would you know ???
In reply to Le Kilt, Jul 5, 2012

Thanks ARShutterbug, I am using single shooting mode and not continuous as some have suggested. Maybe I didn't have my finger completely covering the shutter button but a bit off to one side and that caused the shutter to fire twice.

Remembering back to each occasion I don't think I was completely set up to take the shot.

Since the second time this happened I have been careful on my finger placement but the last time was in moonlight and we all know that is supposed to make one act crazy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aldownunder
Like?
to birdbrain Phil
In reply to aldownunder, Jul 5, 2012

What an excellent shot birdbrain, what 700mm lens were you using for it?
Thanks,
Alan.

Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
Re: Because you're in the wrong message
In reply to ARShutterbug, Jul 5, 2012

ARShutterbug wrote:

Please pay attention to the part of the thread you're replying to. I'm talking to TTMartin, not the OP.

Sorry if I've ruffled feathers, I have read all the thread and was replying to your post.

Perhaps you didn't grasp that the point I'm making is that the OP is quoting "one shot" which is irrelevant, so I presume (maybe wrongly) that he is mistaking the AF mode with the drive mode, and thinks "one shot" is telling him he is in single-shooting mode when he is in fact in high-speed drive mode. So yes, he would be in a "wrong" drive mode in that case, which would be the most likely explanation.

Using a continuous drive mode does indeed not mean that the camera must be made to take multiple frames during each press of the shutter button, but for a single shot you have to press the shutter release for less than 1/8', easily reached if you think you're in single-shooting.
Not sure, but the exif data may reveal the AF mode and drive mode...

If that was intentional, the drive mode would be irrelevant as I explained. Please actually read the whole message that you repeated before criticizing it, in addition to my original reply to the OP. Using a continuous drive mode does not mean that the camera must be made to take multiple frames during each press of the shutter button. So, there's either something wrong with the camera or the user, as I explained in a previous message.

Le Kilt
Like?

aldownunder wrote:

Thanks ARShutterbug, I am using single shooting mode and not continuous as some have suggested. Maybe I didn't have my finger completely covering the shutter button but a bit off to one side and that caused the shutter to fire twice.

My suggestion. Sorry if you really were in single-shooting mode, the high-speed continuous shooting mode is a classic for taking two shots and seemed the most likely explanation (if unsure one can check the exif data in DPP, it's all there).

Remembering back to each occasion I don't think I was completely set up to take the shot.

Since the second time this happened I have been careful on my finger placement but the last time was in moonlight and we all know that is supposed to make one act crazy

TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,728Gear list
Like?

Ok, how about you have Custom Function I 4 Exposure Bracketing auto cancel set to 1 OFF.

Then at sometime you set your camera for exposure bracketing.

Your camera is now set to a multi shot mode until you manually cancel the exposure bracketing.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Le Kilt
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Jul 5, 2012

TTMartin wrote:

Ok, how about you have Custom Function I 4 Exposure Bracketing auto cancel set to 1 OFF.

Then at sometime you set your camera for exposure bracketing.

Your camera is now set to a multi shot mode until you manually cancel the exposure bracketing.

The bracketing doesn't change the drive mode, in single shot mode you still need to take three distinct shots when bracketing.

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249Gear list
Like?
Re: to birdbrain Phil

aldownunder wrote:

Thanks,
Alan.

Thanks.

Canon 500 f4 plus 1.4 x II.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,728Gear list
Like?
In reply to Le Kilt, Jul 5, 2012

Le Kilt wrote:

The bracketing doesn't change the drive mode, in single shot mode you still need to take three distinct shots when bracketing.

Guess, I should refrain from posting at 2:45 in the morning. D'oh

In trying to duplicate the OPs issue with my 7D about the only thing I can say is with my 7D is that you don't really need to press to have the shutter button half depress, you simply touch it and it half depresses, any sort of actually pressing, borders on taking a picture.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,638
Like?
Re: 7D firing twice when shutter pressed half way, anyone else?

The 7D shutter is not like the XXD bodies, it's taken from the 1D series and it has a different feel. When I upgraded from a 40D it took me a while to get used to it, but it was worth the effort - I definitely prefer it now.

One characteristic is that you can fire the shutter a second time by backing off the pressure just a little - not all the way back to half press - then squeezing again. It's possible to do this inadvertently, and I think this is quite likely to be what you've done. I've done it a few times - the trick is to learn to ignore it so it doesn't make you miss the next shot!

aldownunder wrote:

In the past 2 months I have had an issue with my 7D which is almost 2 years old and only shot 1948 times. The shutter when pressed half way to check the exposure details, fires 2 shots. This has happened only 3 times, the first 2 were in ISO 100 1/50 sec in Av mode and the third set at ISO 6400 trying to get a shot of the full moon last night.
The camera is set for RAW (of course) and ONE SHOT.

Maybe the new firmware upgrade in August will fix the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Thanks for any input

yehudakgtbnet
Contributing MemberPosts: 918
Like?

Here's an Israeli full moon.
Yehuda

aldownunder wrote:

Thanks,
Alan.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Jul 5, 2012

Very wise, Steve. I completely agree with you.

My 7D is pretty new still -- got it at Christmas. But I have inadvertantly gotten a double like that also. It happens if I gently squeeze the shutter like I do when target shooting. So there is very little finger movement and a slow approach to the shutter release. The pressure difference between firing and not firing becomes so little that even the tiny jump of the camera as the mirror flips up and the shutter is released is enough to initiate another shot.

That has happened twice now in 6 months and both times, I was trying to hold extra still and very gently squeeze off the shot. I'm convinced my 7D is not defective. It is just very responsive, and you need to be aware of that.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

The 7D shutter is not like the XXD bodies, it's taken from the 1D series and it has a different feel. When I upgraded from a 40D it took me a while to get used to it, but it was worth the effort - I definitely prefer it now.

One characteristic is that you can fire the shutter a second time by backing off the pressure just a little - not all the way back to half press - then squeezing again. It's possible to do this inadvertently, and I think this is quite likely to be what you've done. I've done it a few times - the trick is to learn to ignore it so it doesn't make you miss the next shot!

aldownunder wrote:

In the past 2 months I have had an issue with my 7D which is almost 2 years old and only shot 1948 times. The shutter when pressed half way to check the exposure details, fires 2 shots. This has happened only 3 times, the first 2 were in ISO 100 1/50 sec in Av mode and the third set at ISO 6400 trying to get a shot of the full moon last night.
The camera is set for RAW (of course) and ONE SHOT.

Maybe the new firmware upgrade in August will fix the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience.
Thanks for any input

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Steve Balcombe
Like?
Typo

Steve Balcombe wrote:

The 7D shutter is not like the XXD bodies, it's taken from the 1D series

I meant to say shutter release, of course.

Steve Balcombe
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Jul 5, 2012

Dale Buhanan wrote:

It happens if I gently squeeze the shutter like I do when target shooting. So there is very little finger movement and a slow approach to the shutter release.

That's right - perversely, the more careful you are the more likely it is to happen.

realtor
Regular MemberPosts: 236
Like?

I've been using the 7D over 2 years and I've experienced the problem you describe since practically day 1. At first I blamed myself. I double / triple checked every setting, but every so often the 7D fires two shots while in single shot mode, no bracketing etc. Oddly, I cannot replicate this anomaly on demand, and I can go months without it happening. It's probably caused by a very sensitive shutter button. The double fire doesn't really bother me at all. Could be a useful feature if we could turn it on and off.

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to yehudakgtbnet, Jul 5, 2012

Nice.
--
Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?

Yes! Well said, Steve.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

It happens if I gently squeeze the shutter like I do when target shooting. So there is very little finger movement and a slow approach to the shutter release.

That's right - perversely, the more careful you are the more likely it is to happen.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
aldownunder
Like?
In reply to realtor, Jul 6, 2012

Thanks very much to all that responded, I am sort of glad that I am not alone.
Al.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads