Olympus 40-150mm

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
foxley12
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Olympus 40-150mm
Jul 3, 2012

What do you guys think of this lens please?

I have a Pany G2 with a kit lens (14-42), and thought this could be a good addition.
I guess I'd need an adapter though?

I've read that a lot of you rate the Oly lens' so be good to read your opinions. thanks.

foxley12's gear list:foxley12's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
There have been so many threads.......
In reply to foxley12, Jul 4, 2012

foxley12 wrote:

I have a Pany G2 with a kit lens (14-42), and thought this could be a good addition.

I've read that a lot of you rate the Oly lens' so be good to read your opinions. thanks.

about this lens....

Please, please, please do a seach and please, please, please follow the posting rules that request that you do a search before you start a new thread.

Tedolph,

Sherrif, Tedolph County

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 40-150mm

foxley12 wrote:

Great lens, no adapter necessary (make sure you get the M43 version!....M.Zuiko 40-150mm).

The one drawback to it with Panasonic bodies is that it does NOT have OIS, so you WILL need a tripod or monopod in low light at the long end. In bright daylight, no problem at all.

If you can get it on sale for around $150 it is a no-brainer lens......very good value.

-J

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,545
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jul 4, 2012

Yes, a very good lens for the money but no IBIS in a Panny body, so mind the shutter speeds. Also note, no power zoom for video and the zoom action is rather abrupt, so best to shoot shorter scenes and zoom between.

Cheers,

Rick

MAubrey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
Re: There have been so many threads.......
In reply to tedolf, Jul 4, 2012

He keeps saying that...
--
--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +7 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
In reply to MAubrey, Jul 4, 2012

MAubrey wrote:

He keeps saying that...
--

and nobody ever listens.

Hmmmmm.............maybe?

Nah!

-- hide signature --

Mike

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
pvdk
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Can't beat the IQ for the price. Recommended.

I've looked around to buy me a affordable tele zoom lens to. I had the change to play with the pany 40-175 and 45-200 and the oly 40-150.

As I own a Oly E-M5 I have IBIS and do not need IS lenses. First my idea was to go for the pany 40-175 having a power zoom (good for video) and barrel does not extend when zooming.

But after comparing the IQ, the oly, to me, is best. Go for the 'R' version, that is the latest and has fastest AF which is darn good on this lens and body. Focal range is nice and ideal for most travel etc...

I can recommend this lens. I'm pleased with the results so far. It's a real deal considering the price.
--
Cheers, Phil.

pvdk's gear list:pvdk's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
harvo
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?

This is at the French Open this year. 150mm 1/250 @ 5.6 hand held.
I think its pretty sharp.
Harvo

harvo's gear list:harvo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +3 more
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jul 4, 2012

I'd echo your concerns regarding lack of OIS. I think I'd go for one of the Panasonic lenses with OIS on a Panasonic camera. In my opinion, some kind of image stabilization is pretty important for anyone using a lens like this handheld. On an Olympus body with IS I think the 40-150 offers terrific value, and it's remarkably small (get's long when zoomed in) and light.

jtan163
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?

tedolf wrote:

foxley12 wrote:

about this lens....

Please, please, please do a seach and please, please, please follow the posting rules that request that you do a search before you start a new thread.

I think Tedolph's opinion of the lens in question is that it is well discussed.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?

I can't stand these...go search posts. Go police your Tedolph county, and let this guy ask his question.

tedolf wrote:

foxley12 wrote:

about this lens....

Tedolph,

Sherrif, Tedolph County

Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
Re: Can't beat the IQ for the price. Recommended.
In reply to pvdk, Jul 4, 2012

That is a great picture. Thanks for posting.

pvdk wrote:

I've looked around to buy me a affordable tele zoom lens to. I had the change to play with the pany 40-175 and 45-200 and the oly 40-150.

As I own a Oly E-M5 I have IBIS and do not need IS lenses. First my idea was to go for the pany 40-175 having a power zoom (good for video) and barrel does not extend when zooming.

But after comparing the IQ, the oly, to me, is best. Go for the 'R' version, that is the latest and has fastest AF which is darn good on this lens and body. Focal range is nice and ideal for most travel etc...

I can recommend this lens. I'm pleased with the results so far. It's a real deal considering the price.
--
Cheers, Phil.

benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Re: Can't beat the IQ for the price. Recommended.
In reply to Photo-Wiz, Jul 4, 2012

Photo-Wiz wrote:
That is a great picture. Thanks for posting.

pvdk wrote:

--
Cheers, Phil.

OLy 40 - 150 is a bargain ; got a factory demo from Cameta camera;
great lens.
( FYI Picture below is slightly cropped, mostly for framing )

jazzbass62
Senior MemberPosts: 1,728Gear list
Like?
+1 it's a must have lens
In reply to pvdk, Jul 4, 2012

Though you may miss the OIS. Frankly I don't rely heavily on IBIS with the 40-150mm - I'd rather set it up with a tripod if the situation warrants, or use it hand-held when it's feasible to get a fast enough shutter speed.

This example is hand-held in adequate lighting, no tripod.

-- hide signature --

Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
c_henry
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

tedolf wrote:

foxley12 wrote:

about this lens....

The rules states:

"New posters - Before you ask a question please check to see if someone else has asked it before, ask our search engine first."

So, as long as he did a search before he posted no rules were broken Sheriff.

Tedolph,

Sherrif, Tedolph County

Colin

c_henry
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?

foxley12 wrote:

I have the 40-150 m43 version and it performs a lot better than I thought it would. It's cheap too.

Colin

foxley12
Like?
In reply to c_henry, Jul 4, 2012

thank you kind sirs for your informative reply's, yes that includes you Tedolf as you asked me very kindly

I did do a quick search, but couldn't see anything that included a Pany with the lens in question, but I'm honest enough to admit I often don't read all of them properly,

I'll make sure I do in future, as I don't want to be locked up for infringement of the rules lol.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
foxley12
Like?

By the way........I am impressed by the resulting pictures posted here. perhaps I should dig deep into my pocked and go for it.

Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,064
Like?

I've got some very nice Nikkor glass, and I was amazed at how good this lens is. I bought a Cameta refurb for $159 - very quick and quiet focus for video and makes a nice two lens kit with the kit lens. I got my EPL1 as a PS replacement and it is now my travel kit with this zoom. Not that I don't use my DSLR's for stuff where I'd only take a PS, the kit and this lens gives you a very good kit. Vensus shot handheld (one hand) through a solar filter and Mt. Hood.

-- hide signature --
kodachromeguy
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 40-150mm - amazingly good!

I just bought one of the Cameta Camera "refurbished" units for $159, and I am amazed how good it is. It is light and contrasty. I have not yet tested it enough, but initial impressions are great. At about $160 if you are in USA, how can you go wrong?
--
The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads