Panny 12-35 - worth it?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?
Panny 12-35 - worth it?
Jul 3, 2012

A rhetorical question, because I'm keeping mine. It arrived yesterday and I only had a chance to put it on the E-M5 today. Its very sharp for a zoom. Fully extended (fnah) at 35mm it has fine quality bokeh, but (unsurprisingly) the bokeh gets a bit harsh at wider angles. My first impression is that I like it a lot. It isn't worth the £1000 I paid for it but I recall paying about £900 for a similar sony zeiss lens and thats about the price I would be prepared to pay for this. As it is I will keep it.

It does look a bit crazy on the silver E-M5 though - it's a bit, well, purple. Never mind, I suspect that since I generally look a mess everywhere I go, I wouldn't be the kind of person who worries about silver lenses on a black body (hence I can put up with a purple lens on a silver body). Not being critical about those that do worry about these things, I'm just glad that they have time to focus on things other than whether they've got out of the house with their belt, keys, wallet and phone. Sometimes I'm lucky and I take my E-M5... I digress.

Anyway, a quick photo of the E-M5 with the purple meanie mounted...

Anyway, I will post some photos from the E-M5 panny 12-35 combo on this thread when I get the chance. I will strive to ensure there is a theme and that I don't accidentally take a photo of someone's ID...

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
D4ne
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny 12-35 - worth it?
In reply to sgoldswo, Jul 3, 2012

I think it looks quite nice on the silver em5...but I'm not really seeing the purple you mentioned.

D4ne's gear list:D4ne's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Like?
In reply to D4ne, Jul 3, 2012

The joy of the X-Pro1 in low light - you'll get detail but don't expect the WB to be correct (to be fair the M9 is much worse). It isn't awful, but it looks a bit... busy. I suspect it would look "extremely good" on a black body.

Damn this beer is good.

D4ne wrote:

I think it looks quite nice on the silver em5...but I'm not really seeing the purple you mentioned.

D4ne
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?

Meh...I still think it looks fine...who says lenses have to be black or silver?

How's the weight of it on the em5?

D4ne's gear list:D4ne's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
A little bigger than I thought

I really would like to replace my 14-42 with faster glass and this would be perfect. Not to mention a likely step up on image quality.

That range is nearly perfect for the short landscape and I'm going to a telephoto for the rest.

It's a little bigger in size and price than is optimal for me but it still may call my name.
--
Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
sgoldswo
Like?
In reply to D4ne, Jul 3, 2012

Good, solid. Weighty without being over heavy.

D4ne wrote:

Meh...I still think it looks fine...who says lenses have to be black or silver?

How's the weight of it on the em5?

Buchan-Grant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
love mine too!!

Tedolph is just a jealous cheapskate.

I got mine today and although the rain has kept me from using it for proper pics, it seems excellent, sharp and contrasty. Smaller and lighter than I expected too.

12mm going on ebay soon!! 1 stop at the wide end with a camera which uses such an effective IBIS system, really doesn't make that much difference for low light work, considering the huge leap in flexibility and speed it offers.

-- hide signature --
 Buchan-Grant's gear list:Buchan-Grant's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +5 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

CAn you take a photo with the lens hood, and when the lens is fully extended. Thanks.

sgoldswo wrote:

A rhetorical question, because I'm keeping mine. It arrived yesterday and I only had a chance to put it on the E-M5 today. Its very sharp for a zoom. Fully extended (fnah) at 35mm it has fine quality bokeh, but (unsurprisingly) the bokeh gets a bit harsh at wider angles. My first impression is that I like it a lot. It isn't worth the £1000 I paid for it but I recall paying about £900 for a similar sony zeiss lens and thats about the price I would be prepared to pay for this. As it is I will keep it.

It does look a bit crazy on the silver E-M5 though - it's a bit, well, purple. Never mind, I suspect that since I generally look a mess everywhere I go, I wouldn't be the kind of person who worries about silver lenses on a black body (hence I can put up with a purple lens on a silver body). Not being critical about those that do worry about these things, I'm just glad that they have time to focus on things other than whether they've got out of the house with their belt, keys, wallet and phone. Sometimes I'm lucky and I take my E-M5... I digress.

Anyway, I will post some photos from the E-M5 panny 12-35 combo on this thread when I get the chance. I will strive to ensure there is a theme and that I don't accidentally take a photo of someone's ID...

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
sgoldswo
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Jul 3, 2012

Here you go, it's massive. Well, not really.

Jogger wrote:

CAn you take a photo with the lens hood, and when the lens is fully extended. Thanks.

sgoldswo wrote:

g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Jul 4, 2012

I can't say that the lens will exactly match a black body either.

It is not quite black and sometimes that is actually worse. Like the Oly 12, it is slightly champagne and the fact that it is close, but not quite right makes it worse on a silver body than a black lens - aesthetically speaking.

It is obviously up to the individual about how much that bothers them.

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
12-60 would be better forme...

Doesn't need to be fixed aperture. Jus sharp and f2.8 to 3.5 or 4.

1300 is just a lot of cash for an f2.8 lens. It does look awesome but I actually agree with tedolf here. The primes are smaller and faster.

Zooming on a small micro body is awkward in some ways.

All that said ill happy to have one if panny wants me to try it out. Translation: too rich for me but would be a nice lens.

warrj
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?

For me, yes it's worth it (although i only paid 700 pounds). it means that I can sell my Canon 40D + 17-55 f2.8. I primarily use it for taking pictures of the kids as they grow up. The time it takes to change a prime is too long when a child's expression changes moment by moment.

At the end of the day objects have no intrinsic value - this lens either meets a meaningful need for you at a price which you are prepared to pay or not. For me , it does.

Julian.

warrj's gear list:warrj's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?

I think it is ok if it is price below USD 800; since it is only a m43 f/2.8 lens

so my guess is the amount of glass required to make it would be similar to a FF f/5.6 lens

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-60 would be better forme...
In reply to stimmer, Jul 4, 2012

The primes lack IS on a Panny body.

The primes lack weathersealing.

One of them at least is pretty poor (17 mm). Tedolph added it to help him make his point on price. Because 710+330+400 gives you 1440 dollar for the 12-20-45 mm combo.

The primes need to be changed and cost time no matter what you say, that is more of a hassle than zooming on a micro body (which is no hassle at all to me btw)

The primes have the worst IQ I know in anything but 12 and 45 mm (as there is no possibility of 14,15,20 etc mm).
The primes all together are expensive everstill and not much cheaper

Personally I am looking forward to this setup:

12-35, 35-100, 100-300. That would suffice for almost everything, I already have the Tokina Bokina for macro work. And not ten primes hanging around as good as they may be.

Finally: some of you guys take Tedolph too serous, he is constantly pulling your leg.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Davey1
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to warrj, Jul 4, 2012

Yes it's worth it, not at list price but that will change.

It's a great lens, sharp, fast and flexible.

Using my intelligence I've identified it has many advantages to a set of primes: 15mm, 21mm, 23.7mm, 32.82mm to name a few.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,776
Like?

It's not as useful as it could be, because it not as bright as it should be. At F/2.8 it's not bright enough for indoor shooting, neither DOF is shallow enough for good subject isolation. The other coming Panasonic 35-100/2.8 is more interesting, it's equivalent to FF 70-200/5.6, which isn't very bright either but at least can provide shallow DOF on the long end.

igorek7
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?

The Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 is currently the best zoom MFT lens. It's not cheap, but the good quality lens like this is a good long-term investment, while the camera body is not.

igorek7's gear list:igorek7's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 2,776
Like?
In reply to igorek7, Jul 4, 2012

igorek7 wrote:

The Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 is currently the best zoom MFT lens. It's not cheap, but the good quality lens like this is a good long-term investment, while the camera body is not.

I wouldn't be thinking in terms of investment, because it's a depreciating asset. Also I wouldn't plan anything about m4/3 long-term. Nobody knows where the wind will blow even few months from now. At this time one cannot predict which system is going to stay or go away and what future developement can make one lens system more desirable than the other.

Jorginho
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Jul 4, 2012

f2.8 = f2.8 when it comes to brightness. It is as bright as any other f2.8. DOF is another story. I agree the 35-100 seems more compelling. Would have loved it if they could make the 12-35 mm f2.0. But it would be big and heavy I guess..o....and expensive.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Jorginho
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Jul 4, 2012

forpetessake wrote:

igorek7 wrote:

I wouldn't be thinking in terms of investment, because it's a depreciating asset.

A lens?

Also I wouldn't plan anything about m4/3 long-term. Nobody knows where the > wind will blow even few months from now. At this time one cannot predict > which system is going to stay or go away and what future developement can > make one lens system more desirable than the other.

if you buy a lens at this price it is almost inevitable you DO plan longterm. And if you do so, it is best to invest in a system that has the best perspective. Which system that is, no one knows for sure. The best predictor of the future is the past.

We see m43s continues to develop, has the best lens choice by far. The most diverse and number of camera bodies. From that perspective it seems to be the most solid choice when it comes to the future.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads