Is it safe to by an S100?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
Faiz Khan
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Show us your non-"meh," unedited s95 photos
In reply to gail, Oct 20, 2012

Hi I am Faiz Khan From New delhi, INDIA

i am new in photography and want to purchase new camera .

which camera i should buy from these 2 of them

1 Cannon SX50 HS

2 Nikon P 510

please reply as soon as possible

please mark a copy to : faizkhankhan@gmail.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Show us your non-"meh," unedited s95 photos
In reply to Faiz Khan, Oct 21, 2012

Faiz, you posted your message in the middle of an existing subject. You'll get better response if you post it as a new subject, not in the middle of another subject.

Faiz Khan wrote:

Hi I am Faiz Khan From New delhi, INDIA

i am new in photography and want to purchase new camera .

which camera i should buy from these 2 of them

1 Cannon SX50 HS

2 Nikon P 510

please reply as soon as possible

please mark a copy to : faizkhankhan@gmail.com

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
24IS
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Re: imho, yes
In reply to brianj, Oct 22, 2012

brianj wrote:

Polyglot92 wrote:

gail wrote:

my next small, compact camera will be one with a larger sensor like the Sony RX100. I'm not looking to buy now but am carefully watching how this category develops.
--

Same here.
--

I have also decided to wait untill Sept to see what else is release, but of course it will have the full price tag until some time passes whereas the S100 is already at a good price, but I'm not in a rush.

Brian

I guess it comes down to what you consider to be a good price.  I have seen the S100 priced considerably below $300~ in the shops, and at that price, I don't see how you could go wrong with it.

I purchased the S100 because it met the basic criteria of having a 24mm equivalent lens with IS, but also offered the benefit of a F2.0 open aperture.  Thanks. I'll take it.

In contrast to the Elph 300HS, which is really without comparison, the S100 has stodgy sound, and Digic 5 artifacts that cause some sound problems for video.  But for normal audio situations, particularly in outdoor settings, these camera noises get buried fast, so why worry?

Optically, the IS for video is every bit as stellar as I could want.  I'm not thrilled with some of the new Digic 5 features, such as too much white level response in some situations.  But for low light?  Very capable.  And here I'm talking about the camera as a video instrument.

As a photographic tool it seems more than good enough to be pressed into service as an occasional copy stand document copier and the fast lens....  24mm in low light at F2. Use a small middle frame size for the object, and you can get completely accurate results within the best optical portion of the lens.

The in-house Canon sensor works well, and low light tracking is excellent.  The camera is sharp and fast, and for as much as I complain about the residue of Digic 5 on video, it is a very advanced processor, possibly the best around in any camera system... anywhere.  You really see full Digic 5 capabilities with this camera.  The only other fully implemented Digic 5 camera in a compact camera may only be found in the G series.  Certainly none of the Elph cameras that have Digic 5 are as capable as the S100.  The 500 series of Elph cameras seem to surpass the S100 with Digic 5 in other areas, however, but none offer the full feature breakout of the S100.

My lens makes a chinking sound when I move it through the zoom range.  I wondered about this, but have decided to live with it, since the chinking noise happens around 50mm.

On the subject of the Lens Error message?  I certainly get them from time-to-time.  Not with the S100, but with the Elph cameras that I use to do most of my video work.  Lots of mishandling, so I always assumed the lens error was some sloppy handling on my part.  Jammed lens barrels, you name it.  Those plastic barrels seem to really take a beating and keep on functioning.

John Usa
Regular MemberPosts: 201Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it safe to by an S100?
In reply to boeckelr, Oct 23, 2012

boeckelr wrote:

Hi -

I am looking for a camera for my Mom's birthday. She wants something small enough to fit in her purse...and I want her to have a decent camera. It will be replacing a 4 or 5 year old compact Panasonic (cant remember the model offhand) that never took good images.

I had it narrowed down to the S100, the Olympus XZ-1, or the Nikon P310.

The Olympus, although small by my standards, isnt compact enough for what my Mom wants (my dad has a Panasonic LX3 and she wanted something more compact). The S100 and the Nikon P310 are a good size for her.

BTW RAW is not an important feature for her. She will be shooting jpegs.

I am leery of the lens issue with the S100....I have read reviews from owners who are on their 4th or 5th S100. I absolutely want to avoid this. I did read the announcement from Canon and know that they are acknowledging the issue and I know that they have narrowed it down to specific serial numbers.

Does anyone have any advice? Are these lens issues endemic to Canon point and shoots? Somehow I remember maybe 10 years ago when I bought a Canon Powershot that some of those models had lens issues also.

All things being equal I would prefer the S100...it has a slightly larger sensor...although I am not sure how much of a difference it will make in day to day use. I almost pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday, but the lens issue made me reconsider.

I know this is a Canon forum...but does anyone have any experience with the Nikon P310? Has anyone here compared the P310 with the S100?

Any help/advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes it is now safe to buy a new S100, as I just did last week, and my camera's first 2 digits in the serial number is 45. The affected cameras with the lens issue are from 29 thru 41. I think it will be quite rare to buy a camera with the affected serial numbers. I do like this camera a lot. First thing I noticed is that when I held it in my hands it felt quite solid and  robust unlike many other cheaper plastic cameras. It has many practical and useful features, and I am enjoying using it everytime I use it and take wonderful pictures. Regarding the price, I paid $290 with free shipping, so I believe it is a much better value than its new replacement the S110 which sells for about $450.

John Usa's gear list:John Usa's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
legallyshot
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Not sure this is true
In reply to keeponkeepingon, Jul 7, 2013

I purchased an S100 for my daughter to take on an overseas trip in 2011, just after the S100 was released. All good so far. Then this year she takes it overseas again and the lens gets stuck in Spain en route to Morocco. Nothing will make the camera recover from the jammed lens and nowhere to get quick repairs done.
Had I known about this fault I would have had it serviced. I own 4 high end Canon cameras and a dozen L lenses. I generally keep track of what's going on in the camera world, but had no idea that this fault was at large. I'll be quizzing Canon Australia tomorrow on the action taken to notify purchasers of the fault or potential fault. Quite frankly I think its pretty shabby, and its hardly sufficient for Canon to say when it breaks we'll fix it, if it has a potential fault the unit was sufficiently expensive when new to be recalled.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads