Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
Sam Hoyt Photography
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
Jul 3, 2012

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy some new glass. Landscape, nature, and macro are really my passion. Right now i have the kit lens (nikon 18-55mm). Im looking for a sharper lens. From all the reviews and forums I've read it seems like the Tokina is the better lens. But i thought i would ask all of you what your thoughts are! Thanks for the help!

Sam Hoyt Photography's gear list:Sam Hoyt Photography's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,148Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
In reply to Sam Hoyt Photography, Jul 3, 2012

IMHO, the Tokina is quite a bit sharper than the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Heck the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 is sharper than the 3.5.

Don't think you can do any better than the AT-X 116 Pro for a crop sensor - it's good and fast. You don't say what you're shooting - there's a new version for the Nikon that's been delayed, and another for Canon supposedly out this month - I would assume that'll be pushed out too. If there's one complaint I'd have on this lens, it's the CA, which is quite pronounced. I've seen that it has more than one plug in for Lightroom available from Adobe Lens Profile though.

The Sigma 8-16 could possibly be even sharper (see photozone review) but besides limited range and variable aperture, it won't accept filters. Could be a deal killer if you like polarizers or ND filters.

If you haven't seen this - Bryan has a very comprehensive roundup of all the UWA lenses for crop sensors. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tokina-11-16mm-f-2.8-AT-X-Pro-DX-Lens-Review.aspx

Check all the other reviews too, the side by side pictures (scroll down) are very helpful.

Shot with Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sam Hoyt Photography
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, Jul 3, 2012

Wow! Great information thanks so much! I'm shooting with a Nikon d3100 by the way.

Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
victorian squid
Like?

I guess one thing I should mention and forgot - the Tokina 11-16 is an extremely limited range. It's almost as bad as a prime.

The 10-20 range is a lot more useable, almost good enough for a walk-around. It can be a real pain to swap back just to get that last little bit of a gap up to 20.

YMMV.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +34 more
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,960Gear list
Like?

The current 11-16 will not af on your D3100, but a new one is soon to be released that will have a focusing motor. The Sigma has HSM so it will af on your camera.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
victorian squid
Like?
You're right!
In reply to Brev00, Jul 3, 2012

I forget that the little Nikons need the motor!

Anyway, the new Tokina 11-16 was supposed to be out in March for Nikon, and who knows when it'll finally get released. The AT-X 124 Pro DX II will work, but 12-24 is wide, but not real wide.

So I guess that limits the lenses the OP can use for now.

Sam Hoyt Photography
Like?
Re: You're right!
In reply to victorian squid, Jul 4, 2012

Oh, well bummer! Im going on a trip to the BWCA the last week of July. So I am planning on getting on before then. Okay, well now that i am limited in my choices.. Which sigma lens is my next choice? Will i still get the clarity I'm looking for?

Thanks!

victorian squid
Like?
Sorry - ok, plan B?
In reply to Sam Hoyt Photography, Jul 4, 2012

You can't go wrong with either of the 10-20 Sigmas. Yes, you'll get the clarity you're looking for. The build is very good - they're extremely sturdy and compact lenses. If you can lay hands on one by all means do, but I could wholeheartedly suggest the lens if you bought over the internet. You won't be disappointed. Compared to your 18-55 you'll be impressed.

As I mentioned, the two times I had played with the 3.5 I found it to be less sharp than my copy. But, most review sites dispute that showing higher MTF scores and sample images. So it's entirely possible that I had borrowed bad copies, or mine is golden.
http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=267

http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=197

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-10-20mm-f-3.5-EX-DC-HSM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/467-sigma_1020_35_nikon

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/308-sigma-af-10-20mm-f4-56-dc-ex-hsm-lab-test-report--review

I think that based on your budget either of these would work quite well. Personally, if I could find a sharp 3.5 I'd prefer that since I shoot indoors a lot . Also, the last time I tried a copy was at least 3 years ago. Sigma has made some big changes in the last couple of years as far as build quality and consistency.

As far as matching ultimate sharpness (not the defining factor of a lens) the Sigma 8-16 is probably the best. However, it's got a very limited range, and no ability to use filters. I don't think I can recommend it for you.

Oh yeah, and just so you feel better - the Tokina has terrible problems working against light and is quite prone to flaring.

You could also consider that Tokina 12-24 f4, you'd lose on the short end but gain on the long - it would still be suitable for outdoors. It's very sharp too, but again suffers from CA. Downside is it's much bigger and heavier than the Sigmas. http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=252

If you are planning on going on vacation - be sure you have enough time considered to get the lens - and if it's a duff copy return it for another. These things happen. I just got a dog Tamron, and returned it. First time for me out of half a dozen lenses in the past few years. And practice! UWA's are a whole new world and take some getting used to.

Also, consider a polarizing filter or an ND filter - and check and see what you can do with them!

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?
Re: You're right!
In reply to Sam Hoyt Photography, Jul 5, 2012

Here are a few unprocessed hand held Tokina 12x24 if interested.

Sam Hoyt Photography wrote:

Oh, well bummer! Im going on a trip to the BWCA the last week of July. So I am planning on getting on before then. Okay, well now that i am limited in my choices.. Which sigma lens is my next choice? Will i still get the clarity I'm looking for?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Sam Hoyt Photography
Like?
Re: Sorry - ok, plan B?
In reply to victorian squid, Jul 5, 2012

You are just chalked with information! I love it! I think I'm going to go with the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, but i am going to look at the 12-24mm a little. I plan on getting it from National Camera Exchange, so i doubt i will get a 'dud' lens from them. I already have a polarizing filter, but i am looking into getting some ND Grad filters! Im super excited to get the lens and filters! I can wait to play around with them and hopefully come out with some great pictures!!

Thanks again for everyones help! By far the most helpful post I've done yet!

Sam

victorian squid
Like?
In reply to Sam Hoyt Photography, Jul 5, 2012

Good - you really can't go wrong with either of those choices, especially outdoors.

Here's one more thing to save up for - and no, I don't have one but it's high on the list!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/b-y_polarizer.shtml
http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/gold-n-blue-polarizer.html

sensovision
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, Apr 22, 2013

Hi Sam, I'm facing similar choise, wonder what you've chose in the end? And what you like or don't like about your choice?

-- hide signature --

Denis
Nikon D90, Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D, Nikon 18-55mm VR, Tamron 90mm f/2.8

skidMark
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to sensovision, Apr 23, 2013
Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 will auto focus on a D3100 as will the Tokina DXII 12-24mm lens.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads