Best NR software for the A77

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Best NR software for the A77
Jul 3, 2012

I am looking for something easy to use and effective for NR on the A77 raw files.

I have seen some good results from Lightroom 4, but I would like some opinions from some A77 users.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to bwigg, Jul 3, 2012

Well, I don't know if I'm qualified to answer. I have an A77 and I use Lightroom 4. (Have used Lightroom since the beta of version 1.) But I don't actually DO a lot of noise reduction on my A77 photos.

I can say three things.

First, Lightroom's noise reduction feature is very well regarded by the cognoscenti — but you'll want to take some time to learn how to use it properly. Same goes for the sharpening tools.

Second, when I do use it, I use it sparingly and I think I get great results.

Third, for me at least, it's not a simple matter of "what's the best". I own Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Aperture, ACDSee Pro, all of the Nik modules, and I'm forgetting a number of others. I end up doing 95% of my work in Lightroom. Lens correction is bst in DxO Optics Pro but I find everything else about the program rather difficult. Nik Silver Efex Pro is "the best" for black and white conversion, but I can do terrific conversions in Lightroom and it's just a whole lot easier. (I use Nik when I'm not happy with the result Lightroom gives me, which isn't often. I really should use the Nik software more — it's awfully good.)

When you have lots of photos to process, you don't want to spend all afternoon on a single photo. I do that mainly now for the small handful of photos that I'm especially happy with and that I'm going to print. For everything else, staying in Lightroom is the most efficient choice and gives me results that are much better than merely "good enough."

Will

 William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Noisey1
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to bwigg, Jul 3, 2012

bwigg wrote:

I am looking for something easy to use and effective for NR on the A77 raw files.

I have seen some good results from Lightroom 4, but I would like some opinions from some A77 users.

I've read many many threads about a77 noise, all you have to do is downsample to reduce noise. cut it by half, and you still have a massive 12mp file with virtually no noise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lucas_
Senior MemberPosts: 2,963Gear list
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to bwigg, Jul 3, 2012

....

I use Silkypix Pro5 to process RAW files and do most NR in there. I usually post process for more detailed color balance and sharpening in Photoshop PS5 when needed, and sometimes do a fine noise clean up with a plug-in for PS called Ximagic Denoiser. It has several adjusting options, is simple/fast and after you get the hang of it, cleans remaining noise with minimum picture details degradation.

... Lucas

-- hide signature --

Always having fun with photography ...

http://www.lucaspix.smugmug.com/

 Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Minolta DiMAGE A1 Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,321Gear list
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to bwigg, Jul 3, 2012

Topaz DeNoise, simple to use if you stick to the presets. Works as a plugin for , Adobe Photoshop CS3-CS6 (32-bit and 64-bit), Adobe Photoshop Elements 6-10.

Lightroom 2-4 via Topaz Fusion Express, Irfanview, PaintShop Pro, Photo Impact, Serif Photo Plus and Topaz photoFXlab.

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/
--
Sarge

A77, A700 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma, 70-200 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Fisheye photos at http://sony-snapper.com/Fish-Eye/index.html
Toys - Asus Transformer Android 4.0.3 tablet

  • Colorspace UDMA 500 gb

Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

 Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to Edward Sargent, Jul 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips!

I downloaded Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise trials and will try them out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thubleau7
Contributing MemberPosts: 516
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to bwigg, Jul 4, 2012

Try Neat Image its 64 bit now, and I use it for good results plus you can make some adjustments to where the noise reduction is applied and what type of noise is reduced and by how much.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to thubleau7, Jul 4, 2012

thubleau7 wrote:

Try Neat Image its 64 bit now, and I use it for good results plus you can make some adjustments to where the noise reduction is applied and what type of noise is reduced and by how much.

Agree totally! Neat Image has a bit of a learning curve, but is an excellent tool. In most cases, it can create a noise profile for each image in a matter of a second or two. I no longer bother creating and storing profiles for every body and ISO that I use.

I have not seen any recent reviews for Neat Image, but at one time it was rated very highly.

I use it as a Photoshop plug-in, but it is available as a stand alone product as well. I think they also have a free trial download.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lbick
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Best NR software for the A77
In reply to digititus, Jul 4, 2012

+1 on Neat Image.
--
lbick
Sony alpha-77
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lbick

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Luisa Paixao
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Topaz denoise
In reply to Noisey1, Jul 4, 2012

The trial it's free to download.

It's simply the best

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ER_ Wizard
Forum ProPosts: 10,663Gear list
Like?
Hi BW.
In reply to bwigg, Jul 4, 2012

I have Noise Ninja, Topaz & Nik Define, Nik wins hands down (well for me). Second is topaz & last Noise Ninja. Occasionally I use LR.

Regards.
Ernest.
--

May the Focus be with you
FD71, FD91, 707, 717, 828, R1, P8, H9, A700, A350, A77.
18-200mm, 18-250mm,100mm, 200-500mm, 75-300mm, 11-18mm, 135mm.

 ER_ Wizard's gear list:ER_ Wizard's gear list
Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bwigg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: Hi BW.
In reply to ER_ Wizard, Jul 4, 2012

I tried Topaz DeNoise and it is pretty simple to use and the results are pretty good so far.

I did some RAW+JPEG shots with in-camera noise reduction set to low and compared the results to the jpegs after using DeNoise and the results are much better than OOC jpegs.

I will try some of other recommendations and see how they work out.

Thanks!!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,791
Like?
Re: Hi BW.
In reply to bwigg, Jul 4, 2012

bwigg wrote:

I tried Topaz DeNoise and it is pretty simple to use and the results are pretty good so far.

I did some RAW+JPEG shots with in-camera noise reduction set to low and compared the results to the jpegs after using DeNoise and the results are much better than OOC jpegs.

I will try some of other recommendations and see how they work out.

If shooting JPEGs you may want to try Topaz DeJpeg for removing the JPEG artifacts. I find it quite useful with my Sony HX200v as Sony uses too strong JPEG compression there. The artifacts are most of the noise from that camera. Make sure and apply that tool before doing any other PP to a JPEG from the camera for best effect.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580Gear list
Like?
Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to bwigg, Jul 5, 2012

I agree with those who have recommended Topaz Denoise. It definitely will do the best job and allows the most complete control.

However the price you pay is time. Topaz will only process one image at a time. You can save the settings and apply them to other images - but only one at a time. So if you are processing only a few images it's great.

ISO 5,000 with Lightroom:

With Topaz Denoise:

If you need to process dozens or hundreds of images the far better solution is DxO Optics Pro.

ISO 5,000 with DxO Optics Pro:

ISO 6,400 with DxO Optics Pro:

-- hide signature --

Gary

 garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to garykohs, Jul 5, 2012

I use Jpegs. I shoot the way all old timers did. I put the camera away when there is not enough light.

You get noise when you go beyond the limits of normal photography.

If you like this good for you. I don't want artificial stuff like 'gee I have to take a picture of that guy's house for him and the light is wrong so I'll take 20 pictures of the place and photoshop them'.

I figure out when the light is best on the place and go then.

That means driving across town at 7 a.m. to get the right light then so be it. I often need only one shot then, with the warm light of dawn spread across the house, I need to figure out where the best angle is and what settings to use and then snap.

I bet the CIA takes lots of pics in the dark. When it gets dark I do other stuff like music.

 OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to OntarioJohn, Jul 5, 2012

OntarioJohn wrote:

I figure out when the light is best on the place and go then.

That means driving across town at 7 a.m. to get the right light then so be it.

Do you really think life is that simple? You've obviously never done any travel photography, or if you have you've left a lot of photos behind with your philosophy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to OntarioJohn, Jul 5, 2012

What in the world does this have to do with my post? If nothing, then why are you replying to my post?

OntarioJohn wrote:

I use Jpegs. I shoot the way all old timers did. I put the camera away when there is not enough light.

You get noise when you go beyond the limits of normal photography.

If you like this good for you. I don't want artificial stuff like 'gee I have to take a picture of that guy's house for him and the light is wrong so I'll take 20 pictures of the place and photoshop them'.

I figure out when the light is best on the place and go then.

That means driving across town at 7 a.m. to get the right light then so be it. I often need only one shot then, with the warm light of dawn spread across the house, I need to figure out where the best angle is and what settings to use and then snap.

I bet the CIA takes lots of pics in the dark. When it gets dark I do other stuff like music.

-- hide signature --

Gary

 garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Old Pirate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to garykohs, Jul 5, 2012

Earlier versions of LR did leave some things lacking, but LR 4 pretty much equals everyone else now, PLUS you can adminster noise reduction in only certain parts of the image if you choose to which in some cases is a better deal. Clean up a face, but leave the noise and more detail in other places or in other cases denoise the dark areas and leave the little bit of noise in the lighter areas.

You can do it with the selection brush.

And of course, LR is much more than just a noise reduction program.

 Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a77 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,580Gear list
Like?
Re: Topaz Denoise or DxO Optics Pro
In reply to Old Pirate, Jul 5, 2012

I agree that LR 4 is very good. It's all I use for most shoots. However it isn't in the same league as Topaz Denoise or DxO for taming the noise of extremely high ISO A77 shots. It's just not close.

Old Pirate wrote:

Earlier versions of LR did leave some things lacking, but LR 4 pretty much equals everyone else now, PLUS you can adminster noise reduction in only certain parts of the image if you choose to which in some cases is a better deal. Clean up a face, but leave the noise and more detail in other places or in other cases denoise the dark areas and leave the little bit of noise in the lighter areas.

You can do it with the selection brush.

And of course, LR is much more than just a noise reduction program.

-- hide signature --

Gary

 garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,585
Like?
Re: Topaz denoise
In reply to Luisa Paixao, Jul 5, 2012

Luisa Paixao wrote:

The trial it's free to download.

It's simply the best

LR4 and Topaz DeNoise for me.

George Evans
http://www.wirralpix.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads