The NEW NEX-7N:

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
The NEW NEX-7N:
Jul 2, 2012

Knowing Sony and the camera industry in general, we all know that by this fall, Sony will come out with the Sony NEX-7N, for no other purpose then to make the NEX-7 obsolete. This is the way they all increase sales. So, what would the NEX-7N have over the old obsolete NEX-7 to make you sell it on ebay for the very latest must have toy in town, the NEX-7N? Remember, they will want to 'one-up' on the Olympus OM-D, which is the very latest 'must have toy'.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
nothing
In reply to JPG, Jul 2, 2012

there is nothing they could do to get me to sell my NEX-7. I love it and it does everything I could want it to do. Fact is if I hadn't been given the NEX-7 I would still be happily snapping away with my NEX-5

JPG wrote:

Knowing Sony and the camera industry in general, we all know that by this fall, Sony will come out with the Sony NEX-7N, for no other purpose then to make the NEX-7 obsolete. This is the way they all increase sales. So, what would the NEX-7N have over the old obsolete NEX-7 to make you sell it on ebay for the very latest must have toy in town, the NEX-7N? Remember, they will want to 'one-up' on the Olympus OM-D, which is the very latest 'must have toy'.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?
Re: The NEW NEX-7N:

Is this some sort of anti Sony rant? I mean, why wouldn't they come out with a new camera because they've developed the technology further? They did that with the 5 and 5N (I've got a 5 and don't have the touch screen, the fast high speed shoot rate, the 16MP sensor, an EVF capable hotshoe, etc...). Not sure why you're so unhappy with a business and competitive model that drives innovation and rapid updates. Personally, I think it's great even if I haven't upgraded. Take the hint, you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to and you're happy with the kit you have. Nobody's holding a gun to your head demanding an upgrade. If the consumer somehow feels less of a person because they don't have the latest thing then I'm afraid the problem isn't Sony's

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,104Gear list
Like?
Go out and shoot more pictures with my NEX-7.

The only next NEX I want is the "poor man's Nikon", the FF NEX-36 (with the Sony 36mp D800e sensor)

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Old Pirate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380Gear list
Like?
Re: Go out and shoot more pictures with my NEX-7.
In reply to Steven-T, Jul 2, 2012

The Olympus was "one upped" by the NEX 7 before it was even introduced and when Sony finally roles out the initial firmware update you may wonder how they can give you a new camera with a simple software update.

Those of us who saw what happened to the A700 after a certain firmware update know full well that the camera in your hand can take a quantum leap when room is left in the processor for change and change comes in new firmware.

The NEX 7 was built with lots of room to grow and it is not a matter of "if", but rather what day this month that it will!

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Firemist
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?

I use a 5N and not a 7 for three reasons

• no micro lenses on the 7's sensor so my manual rangefinder lenses don't work as well as on the 5N

• I'm left eyed, and I find the EVF on the 5N is much more user friendly for me

• since I only use manual settings, and don't delve into menu settings a lot, there is really nothing significant the 7 offers for me over the 5N. I can print on 17x22" from the 5N without issues.

Having said that, IF a 7N (or, better, a 9) offered

• the ability to use my rangefinder WA lenses w/o smearing (essential)

• a V/F I could actually use (important)

• ability to store and recall custom user settings (nice to have)

I might consider adding a new body, but I would not sell the 5N, instead I would likely get a couple of AF travel lenses: 18200 and the Sigma 30 and use the 5N dedicated to those.

But I realize I'm in a definite minority

Arkon
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?

LOL.. How old are you? The last digital camera I purchased was 7 years ago and now it is replaced by the NEX7 and the 24 mm f1.8 Zeiss.

princessmiwi
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?

At this stage, buying new bodies doesn't make much sense, the money is much more well spent on better glass.

I have a C3, which is my "learning tool" and I love it. I'd rather buy a Sony 135mm STF than a NEX 7, even though the NEX 7 has some things that make it way more professional than my C3.

El Profe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
Re: The NEW NEX-7N

Just make it smaller smaller...

But I don't think that's not going to happen since the new F3 is bigger than the old 5n and almost as big as the NEX-7.

BruinBlue
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Not likely anything. I've now got more gear than talent
In reply to JPG, Jul 3, 2012

Though truthfully, the NEX-5 I had was probably more than enough.

It wouldn't make sense for me to upgrade to a newer camera in 2013. I'd wait for a bigger leap in tech.

If Sony advances image processing tech fast enough, the next camera I buy might do 4K video I'd buy that and scoop up any other improvements in AF, IQ, responsiveness as well.

BruinBlue's gear list:BruinBlue's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more
Jabez02
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
Re: Not likely anything. I've now got more gear than talent
In reply to BruinBlue, Jul 3, 2012

Not planning to buy any new cameras anytime soon.Like others I am looking more at new lenses.

However when they bring out the next 7 it could be made a little larger and they need to look at the shape to see if they can move to the more traditional one control wheel at front and one at back. The two control wheels so close together is not ideal.

Given the price and market positioning of the 7 the other alternative would be a accessory battery and control grip.

Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,166Gear list
Like?
I don't have a 7, just got an F3...

Just got my first Nex camera today, an F3. Bought it specifically for couple shots for a Vegas hitch trip this month.

However, I would like to move up to a high end Nex next year.

The 7 seems really impressive from what I've seen and read. The only things I'd like to see on a 7N would be:

-- hide signature --

fully articulating LCD, like the Canon 60D/G1-X
-- no more overheating issues with video

That's about it for me. And of course, we need more e-mount lenses.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Deng Yao
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Go out and shoot more pictures with my NEX-7.
In reply to Steven-T, Jul 3, 2012

bad post, delete

gustabod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,443Gear list
Like?
In reply to Firemist, Jul 3, 2012

I wouldn't say minority, I have exactly the same reasons for using a 5N, even though ergonomically a 7 would suit my hands/shooting modality better. I will get one (whatever incarnation) when I can use my wider lenses, and relegate the 5N to travel duty.
--
gustavo

http://www.pbase.com/gustabod

gustabod's gear list:gustabod's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800E Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't have a 7, just got an F3...
In reply to Tapper123, Jul 3, 2012

I too would rather Sony concentrated their efforts on more, better lenses than new bodies, but we know that isn't going to happen.

Yes, a fully articulating touch screen for the 7N would be top of my list. I'd like to be able to set up maybe 7 or 8 presets, then select one of them from a list on the touch screen in two taps maximum.

I like the tributton control, so that should stay IMHO.

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Annex
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't have a 7, just got an F3...
In reply to BubbaHotepUK, Jul 3, 2012

Id buy the nex7F/N/whatever (over my 5n) if it handles RF glass better than the current 7.

Thats the only reason I bought a 5N (upgrade from a 3) over the 7.

Id've loved to buy the 7 for the integrates VF and the controls but for me the poor(er) performance with WA RF glass was a major issue.

Heres hoping! If they solve those minority problems Id buy in an instant.

Annex's gear list:Annex's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
eths
Contributing MemberPosts: 768Gear list
Like?

Move the stupid [expletive deleted] video button to somewhere less dangerous!

eths's gear list:eths's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +18 more
normsmith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,372
Like?
Re: nothing
In reply to edwardaneal, Jul 3, 2012

there is nothing they could do to get me to sell my NEX-7. I love it and it does everything I could want it to do

Agree - I finally hope I have reached a point that I can stop all this changing bodies everty two minutes nonsense. I didn't pay £1100 for Nex 7 so that I could trade it at the earliest opportunity.

I have a new admiration for those who have been getting several years out of their digital kit.
--
my blog http://pinkfootstudio.blogspot.com
never more than 3 posts per page so you will not be overloaded with images.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to normsmith, Jul 3, 2012

So it is ... and rumors about NEX 7N are rumors, told by old women.

Instead telling silly rumors they should go out and make good photos ... but they cannot ... only talking stupid rumors.

James63
Forum MemberPosts: 87
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, Jul 3, 2012

Phase detection auto focus on the sensor is the only thing that would make me sell my NEX-7 and upgrade.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads