Fuji EF-X20 Poor Flash Contact with X10 Hotshoe

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions
Nuzulu
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Fuji EF-X20 Poor Flash Contact with X10 Hotshoe
Jul 2, 2012

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else is having the following problem with the EF-X20 on the X10 body. Received mine the other day, and often in TTL mode when attached to the X10 hotshoe, the flash misfires when taking a shot and outputs at full power.

It seems to be that this is caused by a loose contact with the hotshoe, if I lightly apply some pressure to the top of the flash it never misfires. Looking at the shoe on the EF-X20, there is a small pointy silver spring type clip on either side, but my version doesn't seem to have a lot of "spring" to it, so I was wondering if this is causing it to wobble in the shoe.

Can anyone else confirm if they have a similar problem, or whether their "springy clip" is more robust?

Thanks.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vipo cu
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Fuji EF-X20 Poor Flash Contact with X10 Hotshoe
In reply to Nuzulu, Jul 10, 2012

Had the same problem with a x-pro1!
I only got the flash firing without overexposing after cleaning all contacts.

Returned to seller to test with a diferent x-pro1 and 3 other ef-x20, but every combination had the same effect: Not a solid contact between ef-x20 and x-pro1.

Every once in a while (after switching flash and/or camera to on/off) a photo was overexposed, due to loose contact.

Only got reliable contacts with an older ef-20, which uses a rotary knob to fix the flash within the flash shoe.

My seller has returned all ef-x20 flashes to Fuji and called the suport, but no one at Fuji seems to know/confirm the problems.

VERY strange behaviour for a flash custom build to fit with the new x-pro1!

BTW: Firmware is 1.1, camera was reset multiple times ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ci-lee
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to vipo cu, Dec 28, 2012

I know this is an old thread but I just got an EF-X20 for Christmas and noticed the exact same problem on my X-Pro1 and X10.  Funny thing tho is the flash works perfectly fine when I use my Canon off-shoe cord w/full TTL functionality.  Has anyone else gotten any response from Fujifilm about this issue?  I suppose a work-around would be to get a generic Canon hotshoe adaptor/extender which would bring the flash up off the camera body but that seems like such a shame, aesthetically that is...

-- hide signature --

ci-lee

Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
In reply to ci-lee, Dec 28, 2012

ci-lee wrote:

I know this is an old thread but I just got an EF-X20 for Christmas and noticed the exact same problem on my X-Pro1 and X10. Funny thing tho is the flash works perfectly fine when I use my Canon off-shoe cord w/full TTL functionality. Has anyone else gotten any response from Fujifilm about this issue? I suppose a work-around would be to get a generic Canon hotshoe adaptor/extender which would bring the flash up off the camera body but that seems like such a shame, aesthetically that is...

There were many similar posts reporting problems getting the flash to work with older models such as the S100fs and (IIRC) the S9600. The source of the problem seemed to be some coating on parts of the camera's hot shoe, and when it was scraped off with a blade, the flashes were then able to work properly. It's hard to believe that Fuji would still be producing hot shoes that don't make good contact, but it would be worth checking to see if you're having a similar problem with the X-cam hot shoes.

You may not like the aesthetics of using a hot shoe extender, but raising the flash would probably insure that your pictures of people and pets wouldn't be marred by red-eye/green-eye.

ci-lee
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Dec 28, 2012

@Billx08

thanks for that info...I knew about the benefit of the adaptor but may also try scraping the hotshoe contacts.

-- hide signature --

ci-lee

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Nuzulu, Dec 29, 2012

I have both the EF20 and EF42 flashes.  The 42 is heavy enough I have no issues.  I've never had a flash 'miss' with the X10, but I can tell you mine will creep around just a bit in the hotshoe IF I don't get that wheel tightened all the way down.  So now when I mount the 20, I angle it straight up.  Then I have room to reach down and snug that wheel up tight, no problems.

All the Best,
JW

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads