Best Buys comment on my returned D800

Started Jul 2, 2012 | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,192Gear list
Like?
Best Buys comment on my returned D800
Jul 2, 2012

Thought I would share what a manager said to me when I returned my D800 to my local Best Buy because of focus issues and lock-ups.

The store manager happened to be at the customer service area when I took mine back last week. He said, oh no, not another bad one. He then proceeded to tell me that he had 4 other returns within the last couple of weeks with AF issues. Said he'd never seen so many defective same model of camera returned in such a short period of time.

Anyways, hopefully Nikon is working on a fix.

I'm still enjoying my new D700.

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nippondenso
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
The problem is easily solved!!
In reply to NeilJones, Jul 2, 2012

With a 15% restocking fee. I bet there will be less returns because buyers would educate themselves on how to use the camera. It would also put a halt to the professional tester that buys a camera with the intention of returning it after they get their rocks off during the return period. I will also bet the AF system will magically be 100% accurate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TigrouMeow
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Re: The problem is easily solved!!
In reply to Nippondenso, Jul 2, 2012

Nippondenso wrote:

With a 15% restocking fee. I bet there will be less returns because buyers would educate themselves on how to use the camera. It would also put a halt to the professional tester that buys a camera with the intention of returning it after they get their rocks off during the return period. I will also bet the AF system will magically be 100% accurate.

You live in Japan? Tokyo? You want to try my D800? I have the left AF issue, but I'll be please to see I'm wrong

DSLRPhoto2000
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
In reply to TigrouMeow, Jul 2, 2012

Sick of all the ass hats first it was I want my D800 and Morie issues now af issue. It's the end users.

em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?

Nippondenso wrote:

You can't legally charge a restocking fee on a defective product anywhere in the USA. Your post is deliberately stupid and trollish as always.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

goosel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?
was expecting that on reading your title.

I do have the sinking impression that at least 50% are effected.

goosel's gear list:goosel's gear list
Nikon D800
em_dee_aitch
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,675
Like?
Re: was expecting that on reading your title.
In reply to goosel, Jul 2, 2012

goosel wrote:

I do have the sinking impression that at least 50% are effected.

I also have a feeling that is true, but a key phrase is "to varying degrees."

There is a degree that I can live with and a degree that I can't. The former is the degree that I can only see using quasi-scientific measurements. The latter is that which I can easily see in actual applied shots and/or simple ad hoc tests, which unfortunately is what I have been seeing.

-- hide signature --

David Hill
http://www.sanfranciscoweddingphotographer.com
San Francisco & San Jose, CA | Austin, TX
Wedding Photographer and Apparent Gearhead

Nippondenso
Like?
In reply to em_dee_aitch, Jul 2, 2012

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Nippondenso wrote:

You can't legally charge a restocking fee on a defective product anywhere in the USA. Your post is deliberately stupid and trollish as always.

So, you solved the mystery. It would seem that if a US consumer claims an item is defective they can get around the restocking fee. Those damn Mericans are clever little devils.

Myallegro31
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
In reply to DSLRPhoto2000, Jul 2, 2012

It makes my day to see such an eloquently written post like this one.

DSLRPhoto2000 wrote:

Sick of all the ass hats first it was I want my D800 and Morie issues now af issue. It's the end users.

-- hide signature --
 Myallegro31's gear list:Myallegro31's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
SkyDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

It appears that you are the last one still denying the issue.

You remind me of Hiroo Onoda, the Japanese soldier stubbornly defending his lone island in the Philippines for 30 years after the end of the war because he didn't get the news. Reality will hit you later or sooner, as it hit Onoda.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/a-japanese-soldier-who-continued-fighting-wwii-29-years-after-the-japanese-surrendered-because-he-didnt-know/

Nippondenso wrote:

Nippondenso
Like?
In reply to SkyDreamer, Jul 2, 2012

SkyDreamer wrote:

It appears that you are the last one still denying the issue.

You remind me of Hiroo Onoda, the Japanese soldier stubbornly defending his lone island in the Philippines for 30 years after the end of the war because he didn't get the news. Reality will hit you later or sooner, as it hit Onoda.

But, is the war really over? Seems the Japanese are slowly bringing the rest of the world to their knees with supposed AF issues. Got to love Japanese honor.

ThePaleRider
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?

Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

So, you solved the mystery. It would seem that if a US consumer claims an item is defective they can get around the restocking fee. Those damn Mericans are clever little devils.

studio460
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, Jul 2, 2012

Best Buy doesn't charge a restocking fee, regardless of the reason for the return.

studio460's gear list:studio460's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C300 +6 more
TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to ThePaleRider, Jul 2, 2012

Sure, a valid point about something completely moot, since there is no restocking fee.

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

Look at the bright side... Whitney Houston is 4 months sober !

Nippondenso
Like?
In reply to TFergus, Jul 2, 2012

What part of "The problem is easily solved with a 15% restocking fee" do you not understand? I never said they had one, they probably do but don't enforce it. If they were to charge a restocking fee this madness and stupidity would vanish overnight.

TFergus wrote:

Sure, a valid point about something completely moot, since there is no restocking fee.

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

ThePaleRider
Like?

It's a lost cause.

Nippondenso wrote:

What part of "The problem is easily solved with a 15% restocking fee" do you not understand? I never said they had one, they probably do but don't enforce it. If they were to charge a restocking fee this madness and stupidity would vanish overnight.

TFergus wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

TFergus
Like?

The post I responded to was about getting around a restocking fee (see below).... not about inducing them.

Your sarcasm and amazing, unequalled brilliance would apply, had I even responded to the comment you are now adding.

If you want to debate how useless a restocking fee is for defective merch... that's another thread.

Nippondenso wrote:

TFergus wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,192Gear list
Like?

Nippondenso wrote:

You can't have a restocking fee for a defective product! There are laws about selling thing that don't work you know!

TFergus wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

ThePaleRider
Like?

I think that the point is that if there is the threat of a restocking/maintenance/wasted time fee for all cameras other than those officially proven and accepted to be defective , then the baying crowd of owners of "defective" cameras, all clamouring for justice, might diminish down to only those poor sods who have a genuine problem, thus reducing the problem overnight.

I believe that it was a tongue in cheek comment, and while it is probably unconstitutional in the US to oppress one's right to have a defective camera and be freely vocal about it, it's actually not a bad idea.

I think that Nikon should compensate everyone who sends a genuinely faulty camera in for service and charge everyone who jumps on the bandwagon and sends in a camera which is well within spec.

TFergus
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

Nippondenso wrote:

You can't have a restocking fee for a defective product! There are laws about selling thing that don't work you know!

(I notice the same guy arguing some stupid claims in an eBay thread... you won't convince him, he is just here to argue).

TFergus wrote:

ThePaleRider wrote:
Kind of has a point...

Nippondenso wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads