Lens setup for F1 circuits(silverstone) cheaply

Started Jul 1, 2012 | Discussions
michael chalkley
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Lens setup for F1 circuits(silverstone) cheaply
Jul 1, 2012

Hi
I'm looking for a good set up for Motorsport. I love my f1 and superbike races.

Haven't got lots of money but I'm prepared to have a lens on 0% interest free from my local Jessops.
I've just purchased a new d5100 from amazon.

I'm wondering if nikons 300mm with 1.4 converter would do me ok? Does the quality drop?

I'm glad I bought nikon but there seems to be less lens choice unless I try sigma or tamron.
--
Regards Michael.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,023Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens setup for F1 circuits(silverstone) cheaply
In reply to michael chalkley, Jul 1, 2012

It has been said that 300/4 and TC14eII is the best way for amateurs to 400mm.

I can't personally comment because I'm struggling with the same issues myself: 300+TC, Bigma or wait for an updated 80-400.

Its just, all the darn Nikon amateur teles are so old and desperate for an update.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, Jul 1, 2012

yes sure,

ive herd not so good things about the current 80-400 pitty really because the focal range would be perfect for me, if only it was a good lens.

do you notice any less IQ with tc14eII ?

without me looking it up is that 2x converter? if so i would prefer to try 1x first.

cheers

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,023Gear list
Like?

You may consider this:

http://mansurovs.com/best-nikon-lenses-for-wildlife-photography

I re-read this often. He lays out the various telephoto options and likes the 300/4 and TC.
--
Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"
http://www.flickr.com/InTheMist

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
jewson37
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, Jul 1, 2012

If you are shooting from the public side at Silverstone you will need at least 400mm and then expect to do some cropping to get anything half decent . . The worst circuit in the UK for taking pictures at . . !
--

If it ai'nt broke don't fix it..!

trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?

Can't give you any advice on the lens I'm afraid, all I can say is that if your D5100 you 'just bought' is unused then return it first thing. You'll get a cracking deal from Jessops if you buy the camera and lens together, believe me
--
Matt

michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Jul 1, 2012

i payed £507 from amazon with "triple points on my nectar card"

why can you beat that??

trespassing wrote:

Can't give you any advice on the lens I'm afraid, all I can say is that if your D5100 you 'just bought' is unused then return it first thing. You'll get a cracking deal from Jessops if you buy the camera and lens together, believe me
--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

SRFast
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Jul 1, 2012

The D5100 has no on-board AF motor so you can only use AF-S lenes if you want AF. That means the Nikkor 80-400mm VR will not work with your D5100. I think the Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VRII works well for motorsports. If you want to use a TC, the Kenko 1.4 Pro DG TC works well with the 70-300 VRII.

Hope this helps...JL
------
40+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliu.net

SRFast's gear list:SRFast's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D2H Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
trespassing
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?

michael chalkley wrote:

why can you beat that??

trespassing wrote:

--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

More than likely they'll be able to, if it's with the 18-55 lens. I'm going to be honest, I have no clue on what Necter points are worth (although triple sounds like quite a lot to me :)) but the camera is £507 at Jessops, and when purchasing with a £1000 lens they'll discount one item to get you to buy both together. Trust me, I know about all of this, go in and ask, there's no harm whatsoever in asking what they'll do.

Best way to get them to do so, head in to a smallish store, early next week, just past mid day. There is no harm in asking what they could do, explain to someone fairly senior (not the manager) in a quiet period your situation with Amazon, but how you'd like to buy from the D5100 and £1000 lens together from them, and I'm sure they'll do their best. As I say though, I have no idea what Nectar Points are worth, so this may all be completely unhelpful! If so, best of luck and I'll be interested to see how you get on! PM me if you want more help.
--
Matt

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,481Gear list
Like?

I have both 80-400vr and 300F4 with 1.4 Nikon TC.

I believe the 300+TC has slightly better IQ than the 80-400. It also achieves that at a wider aperture, which results in either higher shutter speed or lower ISO.

I've done direct comparisons of the 80-400 and 300F4 (with and without TC). Test shots are here if you want to judge for yourself:
http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/index.html

The bottom line on the 80-400 (at 400mm) is: Stop it down to at least F8 if you want any sharpness, and it gets a little better at F9. I always shoot mine at F9-F11. Get the shutter speed as high as you can, unless you are trying for specific blurring (wheel spokes).

While I've not shot an F1 race in years (Phoenix Gran Prix), I've taken the 300F4 with 1.4 TC to Road Atlanta to shoot bike races. You can see the results here:
http://www.cjcphoto.net/roadatlanta/index.html

Most of the pics are cropped a fair amount, except the ones where the bike is obviously filling (or overfilling) the frame. The problem I had with the first corner I was shooting was the fence. I was on a hill, but didn't like the fence between me and the subject when I was down reasonably close to the track. I moved up and away so I could shoot over it. Some areas of the track were closer for that, so I got a lot more pixels on the subject. Eventually I found some areas where I could stand on top of concrete barriers close to the fence and shoot over it.

If you do get close enough to fill the frame at 420mm, you have to work hard to pan and keep the subject in the frame.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
Digetydog
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?

Can you rent anything in the UK?

Why spend a large amount of money on a lens if you aren't sure it can do what you need?

cosmicnode
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digetydog, Jul 1, 2012

I agree with a previous poster, you need at least 400mm for Silverstone. If your budget can stretch to a Sigma 50-500 you will have one lens that will cover your needs. the problem is that you are generally quite a distance from the track and to shoot without catch fencing in the way you need to move to the back of the grandstands or to the top of the embankment's. A zoom gives you the freedom to shoot more than one angle from the same viewing point within seconds, or to frame one or multiple cars at the same spot. Action happens so quickly you will miss action whilst changing lenses or adding a converter. The two photos below were taken from the same position, one at 450 and the other at 280mm, they could have been pictures of the same car by panning and with a flick of the wrist changing focal length.

With these focal lengths it is best to shoot on a monopod, I use one with a ballhead set loose to allow a fluid panning action.

-- hide signature --

Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,023Gear list
Like?
In reply to michael chalkley, Jul 2, 2012

I would find a prime lens a bit limiting. You won't have any choice over framing.

The 300mm f4 is slow to focus. Slower with a t.c. added. Do you need that much reach anyway?

What is wrong with Sigma or Tamron?
--
http://www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
cosmicnode
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Jul 2, 2012

slimandy wrote:

I would find a prime lens a bit limiting. You won't have any choice over framing.

The 300mm f4 is slow to focus. Slower with a t.c. added. Do you need that much reach anyway?

--

You do need that much reach, this was taken at a FIA test at Silverstone note it's a 300mm with 1.4X converter heavily cropped and through the catch fencing which you can see as a blur in certain areas. this was taken before the redevelopment of the circuit

-- hide signature --

Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Jul 2, 2012

fantastic shots mate!!
i would have some of them on my wall if it was Valentino Rossi!

great.

thanks

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I have both 80-400vr and 300F4 with 1.4 Nikon TC.

I believe the 300+TC has slightly better IQ than the 80-400. It also achieves that at a wider aperture, which results in either higher shutter speed or lower ISO.

I've done direct comparisons of the 80-400 and 300F4 (with and without TC). Test shots are here if you want to judge for yourself:
http://www.cjcphoto.net/lenstests/index.html

The bottom line on the 80-400 (at 400mm) is: Stop it down to at least F8 if you want any sharpness, and it gets a little better at F9. I always shoot mine at F9-F11. Get the shutter speed as high as you can, unless you are trying for specific blurring (wheel spokes).

While I've not shot an F1 race in years (Phoenix Gran Prix), I've taken the 300F4 with 1.4 TC to Road Atlanta to shoot bike races. You can see the results here:

Most of the pics are cropped a fair amount, except the ones where the bike is obviously filling (or overfilling) the frame. The problem I had with the first corner I was shooting was the fence. I was on a hill, but didn't like the fence between me and the subject when I was down reasonably close to the track. I moved up and away so I could shoot over it. Some areas of the track were closer for that, so I got a lot more pixels on the subject. Eventually I found some areas where I could stand on top of concrete barriers close to the fence and shoot over it.

If you do get close enough to fill the frame at 420mm, you have to work hard to pan and keep the subject in the frame.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to trespassing, Jul 2, 2012

thank for advice
nectar points are a uk points saving option not worth much.

i have not got the money to buy both. i will probably have a 300mm f/4 with converter on 0% interest free from jessops. just looked at previous posts examples and i am impressed! think my problem may have been solved to get to 400mm

cheers

trespassing wrote:

michael chalkley wrote:

why can you beat that??

trespassing wrote:

--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

More than likely they'll be able to, if it's with the 18-55 lens. I'm going to be honest, I have no clue on what Necter points are worth (although triple sounds like quite a lot to me :)) but the camera is £507 at Jessops, and when purchasing with a £1000 lens they'll discount one item to get you to buy both together. Trust me, I know about all of this, go in and ask, there's no harm whatsoever in asking what they'll do.

Best way to get them to do so, head in to a smallish store, early next week, just past mid day. There is no harm in asking what they could do, explain to someone fairly senior (not the manager) in a quiet period your situation with Amazon, but how you'd like to buy from the D5100 and £1000 lens together from them, and I'm sure they'll do their best. As I say though, I have no idea what Nectar Points are worth, so this may all be completely unhelpful! If so, best of luck and I'll be interested to see how you get on! PM me if you want more help.
--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to michael chalkley, Jul 2, 2012

michael chalkley wrote:
thank for advice
nectar points are a uk points saving option not worth much.

i have not got the money to buy both. i will probably have a 300mm f/4 with converter on 0% interest free from jessops. just looked at previous posts examples and i am impressed! think my problem may have been solved to get to 400mm

cheers

trespassing wrote:

michael chalkley wrote:

why can you beat that??

trespassing wrote:

--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

--
Matt

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

michael chalkley
Like?
In reply to SRFast, Jul 2, 2012

thanks mate, ive just seen these examples with 300mm f/4 and converter.
awesome if you ask me! http://www.cjcphoto.net/roadatlanta/index.html

SRFast wrote:

The D5100 has no on-board AF motor so you can only use AF-S lenes if you want AF. That means the Nikkor 80-400mm VR will not work with your D5100. I think the Nikkor 70-300 AF-S VRII works well for motorsports. If you want to use a TC, the Kenko 1.4 Pro DG TC works well with the 70-300 VRII.

Hope this helps...JL
------
40+ Years of Nikon Ownership
http://www.jliu.net

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

michael chalkley
Like?

can you give me some lenses to enquire about ?

cheers
--
Regards Michael.

michael chalkley
Like?

ive been told the opposite on AF on th 300mm lens, they say its fast!

what do people think of 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM ??

slimandy wrote:

--

-- hide signature --

Regards Michael.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads