Anyone using a hood for their M.Zuiko 45mm 1.8?

Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions
agray88
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
Anyone using a hood for their M.Zuiko 45mm 1.8?
Jun 29, 2012

If so, which one and where to get it? This is the only one I've seen and was wondering if this works well with the 45mm.

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-Silver-Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL/dp/B0061GS1OO/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

agray88's gear list:agray88's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Anyone using a hood for their M.Zuiko 45mm 1.8?
In reply to agray88, Jun 29, 2012

yes, I have the same hood. Works well no problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,505Gear list
Like?

check ebay - there shall be a number of the same hoods

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?

I am using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00679483I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

works great, light, and will reverse and stay on the lens and still fit in the pouch I use for it (the pouch from the Panny 20mm, which is almost always mounted on my PEN). and unlike the Panny 20mm, I think you pretty much need the hood on the 45 to manage the optimal IQ.

it is a tad more expensive than the one you flagged, but I preferred the bayonet mount to the filter screw mount.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Dreeke
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?

Yes, a simple collapsible rubber hood.

Just type "lenshood 37mm" or something alike as a search on ebay and you will find plenty.

Dreeke's gear list:Dreeke's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Ron Joiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 845Gear list
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Jun 29, 2012

I am using the Olympus hood which requires taking the decorative ring off. It works very well and I am pleased with the results though the hood was on the expensive side.

Ron

-- hide signature --

E-30, E-510 (with 51r), E-330, ZD 11-22, ZD14-54, ZD40-150 Mk II, FL-36, ZD50 f2, Sigma 135-400, Manfrotto tripod and head

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
http://joiner.shutterchance.com/

Ron Joiner's gear list:Ron Joiner's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
Thomas Kachadurian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,780Gear list
Like?

agray88 wrote:

If so, which one and where to get it? This is the only one I've seen and was wondering if this works well with the 45mm.

http://www.amazon.com/EzFoto-Silver-Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL/dp/B0061GS1OO/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_b

I found a nice deep rubber one on eBay. I think it was 9$

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

yotes
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Jun 30, 2012

Does the hood make a big difference. I don't have a hood for my 45mm.

yotes's gear list:yotes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +7 more
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,747Gear list
Like?
Re: I use this JJC version of LH-40b
In reply to agray88, Jun 30, 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Replacement-LH-40B-Olympus-Zuiko/dp/B00679483I

It was under $15 shipped when I got it. It works just like the real LH-40b in that it is a bayonet mount. You have to remove the 45mm's decorative ring to reveal the bayonet mount.

The silver finish matches the lens perfectly, and the inside has a matte black finish to keep light from bouncing into the lens.

Mine fits well, but some say it's a bit wobbly, so might be sample variation

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
sean000
Like?
In reply to yotes, Jun 30, 2012

yotes wrote:

Does the hood make a big difference. I don't have a hood for my 45mm.

It depends on the light. If you have light striking the lens at the wrong angle it can reduce contrast and produce flares. A lens hood shields the lens from stray light. So it helps under some lighting conditions, but isn't necessary under other conditions.

A secondary benefit is some added protection for the front element against dust, rain, and knocks.

Sean

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?

agray88 wrote:

I have a black tubular one like that from e-bay. No vignetting, light, compact, stays on all the time. Better IMHO than a wider belled one as it takes less space in the bag.

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,486Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean000, Jun 30, 2012

sean000 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Replacement-LH-40B-Olympus-Zuiko/dp/B00679483I

It was under $15 shipped when I got it. It works just like the real LH-40b in that it is a bayonet mount. You have to remove the 45mm's decorative ring to reveal the bayonet mount.

The silver finish matches the lens perfectly, and the inside has a matte black finish to keep light from bouncing into the lens.

Mine fits well, but some say it's a bit wobbly, so might be sample variation

Sean

Sean -

I've never really understood this....from what you say above then..is the whole of the extreme front of the 45mm lens - from the colored band to the very front - fully detachable...and that is then where you add this JJC Hood ?

So in effect you save a bit on overall length after adding the Hood..but taking off part of the front end of the lens.. and presumably it must mean that the extreme front lens element is quite well recessed behind the colored front band ??.. if it is so recessed..does a Hood then really do much on this lens ??

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2's gear list:ericN2's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Vasyl Tsvirkunov
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
In reply to Ron Joiner, Jun 30, 2012

JJC version is pretty much identical. I tried it but it was not sitting as tight as I expected (most likely, varies from unit to unit with third-party knockoffs). In the end I went with the Leica-style one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330669784162 . This particular one is even the right color.

The front takes 52mm lens cap and the lens with the hood fits a small pouch from http://www.microlenspouch.com/ perfectly. I cannot really use filters with this combination but why would I want to use filters on this lens?

sean000
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Jun 30, 2012

ericN2 wrote:

Sean -

I've never really understood this....from what you say above then..is the whole of the extreme front of the 45mm lens - from the colored band to the very front - fully detachable...and that is then where you add this JJC Hood ?

So in effect you save a bit on overall length after adding the Hood..but taking off part of the front end of the lens.. and presumably it must mean that the extreme front lens element is quite well recessed behind the colored front band ??.. if it is so recessed..does a Hood then really do much on this lens ??

The user manual illustrates it better than I can explain it:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/M.ZUIKO_Digital_45mm_f1.8_Instructions_JP_EN_FR_ES_KR_CT_CS.pdf

The decorative ring is only a few mm thick and wraps around the front element. If you use the LH-40b (Oly brand or JJC) or any other bayonet mount hood, you take the decorative ring off permanently. The hood increases the length by a few cm when it is mounted, but you can reverse it for storage.

Sean

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,019Gear list
Like?
I went for the Leica style one

in black.

Disadvantage- it's not reversable like the bayonet mount ones, and the OEM lens cap doesn't fit
advantage - it can share 52mm filters w my 12-50 and 9-18

Of course if I want a reversable hood, I still have this one

salvaged from an old lens I took apart
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Jun 30, 2012

removing the decorative ring does NOT reduce the overall length of the lens and does NOT alter the recess in any way.

my experience with the lens is that a hood is helpful in certain lighting situations, enough so that after going without it for a while, I got one. conversely, I have yet to run into a problem with the Panny 20 hoodless.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
nalax
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Careful using it in combination with a filter

It might get stuck. My threaded hood kept get loose so I'd tighten it a little more which also tightened the filter into the lens

I have a B+W filter which threaded in and out with no problem but I have a generic filter which is jammed in there now. Now I'm going with a JJC bayonet hood. A plastic filter mount is not the greatest idea.

nalax's gear list:nalax's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
ericN2
Like?
In reply to sean000, Jun 30, 2012

sean000 wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

Sean -

The user manual illustrates it better than I can explain it:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/M.ZUIKO_Digital_45mm_f1.8_Instructions_JP_EN_FR_ES_KR_CT_CS.pdf

The decorative ring is only a few mm thick and wraps around the front element. If you use the LH-40b (Oly brand or JJC) or any other bayonet mount hood, you take the decorative ring off permanently. The hood increases the length by a few cm when it is mounted, but you can reverse it for storage.

Sean

Sean-

Thank you for that. The illustrations do now explain this so much better than I had imagined before - I see now that the decorative ring is in fact just an external collar of sorts and with that unscrewed and removed it allows another item such as a Hood to screw or bayonet on in its place..

As Confucious (or somebody) said many long years ago.. "a picture is worth a thousand words"...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ericN2
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, Jun 30, 2012

RaymondR wrote:

removing the decorative ring does NOT reduce the overall length of the lens and does NOT alter the recess in any way.

my experience with the lens is that a hood is helpful in certain lighting situations, enough so that after going without it for a while, I got one. conversely, I have yet to run into a problem with the Panny 20 hoodless.

Raymond -

Sean has explained the Decoirative "collar" very well here below.. but I just wanted to say that I've used the 20mm now for what must be almost 2 years..and without a Hood of any kind. I've seen it several times said that mostly, these Pancakes just not really benefit hardly at all from a Hood..but by coincidence..just this very week I've had chance to buy and done so - a 46mm Contax Silver Metal Hood together with a Contax metal lenscap to suit..and although I think this probably is as much decorative and personal-satisfaction than anything. I like the very small neat addition..which I've done on both 20mm and 14mm now.

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads