Should I be able to change the af-box size?

Started Jun 29, 2012 | Discussions
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Should I be able to change the af-box size?
Jun 29, 2012

Menu, is a navigation hell with those buttons?

Loving the camera when I take stills and video though, but the menu!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,034Gear list
Like?
One way to change it
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

Activate magnified live view, then change the magnification. That changes the AF box size.

The EM5 menus remind me of that Fark line: and then it gets weird...

 TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
Simple; here's how
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

Enable touch focus, tap screen, then slide the ruler on the right to change the size of the AF box.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: Simple; here's how thanks
In reply to ncsakany, Jun 29, 2012

OK, cool.

The evf is sharp on this thing! who needs af anyway? lol.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I be able to change the af-box size?
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

On the E-PL2 it works like this:
Magnified view button -> Info -> Up/Down

Probably you'll find many answers to OMD operational questions here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

and here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41411509

 assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Storm1969
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple; here's how thanks
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

Really, my mf lenses are much easier to focus on the OMD than on the E3. My OM 50/1.4 is awesome with it!
--
OMD EM-5, E-3, E-300, 17/2.8, 12-50, 11-22, 14-54, 14-45, 40-150 (old),50-
200swd, Sigma 24/1.8, FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-36, Various
and Sundry M F lens in M42, OM, Minolta mounts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Fn1 as Magnify button
In reply to ncsakany, Jun 29, 2012

I've got Fn1 setup as magnify, and it works nicely in combination with the touch screen. Once you've tapped and set the magnification higher, you can then use the Fn1 button as magnify to go right to the magnified AF spot for autofocus. A 2nd tap of Fn1 takes you to the magnified view.

What i like is that is stay on the selected and sized point for multiple shots. A tap of OK (which I have setup for SCP) takes you back to your regular AF mode. Almost works like a memorized focus point, except that you can move it around for next time.

Anyone know a quick way to center the magnified point once you've moved it?

 bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Husaberg Grok
Regular MemberPosts: 393
Like?
Re: Simple; here's how
In reply to ncsakany, Jun 29, 2012

This works best for me too....

ncsakany wrote:

Enable touch focus, tap screen, then slide the ruler on the right to change the size of the AF box.

-- hide signature --

Must....Think.....of something......Clever........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
Re: What about reviewing images and movies in the evf?
In reply to Husaberg Grok, Jun 29, 2012

Is it possible?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CrisPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 429Gear list
Like?
Re: What about reviewing images and movies in the evf?
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

Reviewing in EVF is possible:

1. You have to disable "automatic eye detection" for the EVF.
2. You switch to EVF manually.
3. Now you can review images in EVF.

Don't understand why OLY made it this complicated. Hope OLY makes it easier to use in future firmware ...

 CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?
your only changing the size of the magnified view?...
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 29, 2012

i've read the responses here and from other posts regarding adjusting EM-5 AF target. they all are the same (i could be wrong) and i do not think (i could be wrong) have anything to do with AF target area size.

all simply instruct the user on how to set the current default size of the "magnified view". in other words, how big or small the magnified view is going to be (between 5X-14X) on the monitor when that particular (magnified view) function is enabled/activated.
please correct me if i'm wrong as i'd like to know otherwise.
--
Thanks,
Paul

 Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,899Gear list
Like?
Wrong Paul...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Jun 30, 2012

What you are saying is only true if you are in the review mode. In the shooting modes, adjusting the focus target size does effect the area and available positions of auto focus targets.

At least that's true of my E-PL2, and I am fairly certain it is true of the E-M5 also.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

 daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,132Gear list
Like?
Re: What about reviewing images and movies in the evf?
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 30, 2012

In the way you had it with GH2 as instant review - impossible.
All the talk is about how you can review you shot after pressing "REVIEW" button
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
coaltrain
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Re: Should I be able to change the af-box size?
In reply to Adventsam, Jun 30, 2012

Adventsam wrote:

Menu, is a navigation hell with those buttons?

Loving the camera when I take stills and video though, but the menu!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm still trying to figure out how you got all these answers to your post without knowing what camera you are using.......

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,770Gear list
Like?
i'm glad to be wrong in this case...
In reply to daddyo, Jun 30, 2012

i wonder if anyone has done any formal/informal tests of the AF accuracy when dialing down the size of the 'green box'.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

 Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?
Re: What about reviewing images and movies in the evf?
In reply to CrisPhoto, Jun 30, 2012

CrisPhoto wrote:

Reviewing in EVF is possible:

1. You have to disable "automatic eye detection" for the EVF.
2. You switch to EVF manually.
3. Now you can review images in EVF.

Don't understand why OLY made it this complicated. Hope OLY makes it easier to use in future firmware ...

Is this the only way? surely that is ridiculous! one of the biggest criticisms/downsides of the G3 is that you have to manually press a button to switch between LCD and EVF, and it seems that you have do exactly the same on the EM5 .... even though it HAS got an eye proximity sensor ?!?!?

There must be an other way to get it to work seamlessly like the panasonic cameras.... surely ???

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
It probably is just coincidence ...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Jun 30, 2012

but the small focus field worked fine so far in all pics i used it since mid of April
I never really tested it though, why should i as long as it works as it should.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,899Gear list
Like?
Paul...
In reply to Paul Auclair, Jun 30, 2012

I've done some 'quick and dirty' tests using the smallest (X14) magnification focus box -- moving it about to different places on the EVF to focus on subjects in different focal planes -- and it seems to be very accurate.

Of course, when you limit the target area to that extent, you are also limiting the area of contrast for the AF system to get info from. However, I have used it to shoot images of bird in a tree with leaves and branches all about, and it performs very well.

God Bless,
Greg
http://www.imagismphotos.com
http://www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/daddyo

 daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?
Evidently there is no limit to the DPR's system's "verbosity capacity".
In reply to coaltrain, Jul 1, 2012

coaltrain wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Menu, is a navigation hell with those buttons?

Loving the camera when I take stills and video though, but the menu!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm still trying to figure out how you got all these answers to your post without knowing what camera you are using.......

Interesting. On my display-monitor, any way, it seems that (when quoting) there is no limit (save for the horizontal pixel-resolution) to the number of characters that can be posted in a single line.

Sam, the Maicovicon Mothership has transmitted a special message for you regarding consistency:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?
Re: Evidently there is no limit to the DPR's system's "verbosity capacity".
In reply to Detail Man, Jul 1, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

coaltrain wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Menu, is a navigation hell with those buttons?

Loving the camera when I take stills and video though, but the menu!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm still trying to figure out how you got all these answers to your post without knowing what camera you are using.......

Interesting. On my display-monitor, any way, it seems that (when quoting) there is no limit (save for the horizontal pixel-resolution) to the number of characters that can be posted in a single line.

Sam, the Maicovicon Mothership has transmitted a special message for you regarding consistency:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Aha ! The text is continued in the original message (as well) - but it does not show up unless it appears in a non-black (quoted) text-color. So many new possibilities for verbosity, indeed, verily !!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads