SONY can do it!!

Started Jun 28, 2012 | Discussions
emmanuelg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,483
Like?
SONY can do it!!
Jun 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

Do you think Sony will release another firmware for the A77?
Canon did for it's EOS 7D.

Emmanuel

Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: SONY can do it!!
In reply to emmanuelg, Jun 28, 2012

Why would this merit comment? Are the developers in the same room? It's like, fine. Back away from your camera.

One has NOTHING to do with the other...

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sye46
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?

if cannon can add this feature to the 7D... I hope Sony can do the same...

“powerful memory management algorithms that allow the camera’s buffer to accommodate up to 25 raw files or 130 JPEGs."

if the A77 can increase the buffer via firmware update... add the ability to full manual controls at 12 FPS.... it will be awesome

emmanuelg
Like?
In reply to sye46, Jun 28, 2012

Sye46,

That's right. I think Sony will since the 7D is the A77's counterpart.
I can't wait for Sony to have a firmware upgrade.

Emmanuel

sye46 wrote:

“powerful memory management algorithms that allow the camera’s buffer to accommodate up to 25 raw files or 130 JPEGs."

if the A77 can increase the buffer via firmware update... add the ability to full manual controls at 12 FPS.... it will be awesome

mick232
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?

Unfortunately, that's something we rarely see from Sony, and some even take it for granted that firmware updates must never contain new features.

mick232's gear list:mick232's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +17 more
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,283
Like?
In reply to mick232, Jun 28, 2012

I don't believe the 77 can have its buffer increased. 2 reasons...already shooting compressed raw, and the 7d has 2 processors ( a la a900) to work with.

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,196
Like?
A77 FW update: Can? Yes. Should? Yes . Will? Likely not

I like that Canon has issued a FW update for a fairly old camera. IMO it show commitment to the customers which is important if you want to build a loyal following.

There is certainly room for improvement in the A77 and Sony could improve some things via a firmware update. They've done it in the past with the A700 so there is some hope but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archer66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,257
Like?
Re: A77 FW update: Can? Yes. Should? Yes . Will? Likely not
In reply to fjbyrne, Jun 28, 2012

fjbyrne wrote:

I like that Canon has issued a FW update for a fairly old camera. IMO it show commitment to the customers which is important if you want to build a loyal following.

I think 7D isnt selling well anymore so Canon had to do something.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 FW update: Can? Yes. Should? Yes . Will? Likely not
In reply to Archer66, Jun 28, 2012

Every time I went out for birding I saw majority shooters with long lenses carry Canon (few Nikon, nothing Sony) and almost half of them using 7D.

Canon had promotional price of $1250 for 7D and $1999 for 5DII during last Christmas. I bought one of the last fresh stock from my regular camera store. Since then 7D's price went up again, even used 7D on Craigslist selling for $1200-1300 these days.

Archer66 wrote:

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?

I think Sony released whole bunch of new cameras lately (A65/77/57/37), and they are preparing new A88/99 these days, on top of that they have growing NEX business to take care of. I would imagine they will do something eventually but not right now. Also, some of the omission in feature is more marketing rather than technical reason.

Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
SonyAlphaLab - Jay
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

I hope so!!
--
Jay from SonyAlphaLab.com

SonyAlphaLab - Jay's gear list:SonyAlphaLab - Jay's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,925Gear list
Like?
Canon 7D stands the test of time

Sony is electronics company and in theory Sony should provide more but... They're not a photo company.

What is truly amazing (to me) is how the 3 year old 7D still performs. Forget about the AF, the lenses, the FPS (which can fill the latest CF cards with JPEGs at 8FPS). Look at the images. Open up the DPR image comparison tool... The A77 looks decidedly inferior at high ISOs.

emmanuelg wrote:

Hi everyone,

Emmanuel

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
HobbiesAreFun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 7D stands the test of time
In reply to liquid stereo, Jun 28, 2012

I wouldn't use the DPR comparison tool for determining anything. But that's just me. Go out and shoot with them.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

HobbiesAreFun's gear list:HobbiesAreFun's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +5 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,925Gear list
Like?
Tried both...
In reply to HobbiesAreFun, Jun 28, 2012

Been there done that.
7D.

HobbiesAreFun wrote:

I wouldn't use the DPR comparison tool for determining anything. But that's just me. Go out and shoot with them.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (17 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +5 more
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,905Gear list
Like?
In reply to sye46, Jun 28, 2012

sye46 wrote:

What's interesting is that those numbers are not much different than what DPReview was able to achieve during their review a few years back using a fast memory card.

Canon's official specs at the time were 126 frames in JPEG, 15 frames in RAW. But DPReview was able to achieve over 320 frames in JPEG, 25 frames in RAW. So that would mean only a 1 RAW file improvement but a deficiency of almost 200 JPEGs if you compare Canon's new spec to DPReview's numbers.

So the question comes down to:

• Was Canon being conservative in their numbers in the past and today's firmware improvement isn't really so great (just more of an accurate depiction of what it could do the whole time)?

or

• Would we see an even greater improvement today with the same memory card that DPReview used in their review than they did a few years back?

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +21 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?

liquid stereo wrote:

Sony is electronics company and in theory Sony should provide more but... They're not a photo company.

What is truly amazing (to me) is how the 3 year old 7D still performs. Forget about the AF, the lenses, the FPS (which can fill the latest CF cards with JPEGs at 8FPS). Look at the images. Open up the DPR image comparison tool... The A77 looks decidedly inferior at high ISOs.

Non normalized comparisons are fun if you have to kill time but serve little purpose for real world shooting.

And not everyone is happy about pattern noise including banding at base ISO .

emmanuelg
Like?

But Sony bought the Minolta Photo Imaging Division. I used to work for Minolta Corp for 9 yrs. I would like to have the A77 because it has a very impressive features and performance except for noise at higher ISOs. see about four(4) A77 at B&H used.

Emmanuel

liquid stereo wrote:

emmanuelg wrote:

Hi everyone,

Emmanuel

fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,196
Like?
Doesn't change anything
In reply to Archer66, Jun 28, 2012

Archer66 wrote:

fjbyrne wrote:

I don't think that changes anything. The A700 never sold near the 7D so who cares? Canon could simply cut the price of the 7D which would end up in more sales. Instead they release a significant FW update which makes the camera better for both potential buyers and existing buyers. I know my opinion of Sony went up when they released the A700 FW update.

Amateur Sony Shooter
Like?
In reply to TrojMacReady, Jun 28, 2012

If you ever used 7D (especially for tracking fast moving subject, like BIF) you will understand why after 3 years 7D is has no competition. The combination of feature-rich AF system, solid built and handling, 100% OVF and fast enough 8fp rate, deep buffer (now with 25 RAW size), there is a reason why 7D is wildly regarded as king of all APSC. Sure its sensor is bit old, dynamic range is not Canon's strength (re colour noise and banding) but it more than make up for it with accurate exposure, white balance. To my eyes, at final image size, 7D is decidedly cleaner than A77. I am using ISO 1600 or higher on regular basis, that's big part of the reason why I didn't choose A77 at first place.

TrojMacReady wrote:

liquid stereo wrote:

Non normalized comparisons are fun if you have to kill time but serve little purpose for real world shooting.

And not everyone is happy about pattern noise including banding at base ISO .

Peter McNeill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,550
Like?

Well there was the SARS rumor of firmware 2.0 sometime back for the A77/65 ... which now looks more like the mythical rumor of 2.0.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads