8 overdue camera improvements

Started Jun 27, 2012 | Discussions
justyntime
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
8 overdue camera improvements
Jun 27, 2012

Canon and others:

Am I asking for too much? The following proposals are all ultra-low-tech yet noone (at least from Canon) seems to adress this simple stuff:

1.)
5-digit file numbers.
Why is there no opportunity to apply at least 5-digit frame count numbers?

This way every shot taken with a specific camera would bear a unique number allowing for perfect chronological archiving along the lifetime of a camera including numbers of actuations!

2.)
Standalone/assignable bracketing button

Why doesn't Canon provide a separate or programmable bracketing ON/OFF button, instead of let us fiddling around in menus two times for just one QUICK bracketing shot??

Maybe they did it by extended customizing of the newer models but on my 5D Mk II: no way! One of the most important options has not been available since decades (maybe the 1D series could?)

3.)
Second tripod mount.

When will there ever be a second ¼ in. tripod mount, maybe an inch away from the first? Finally a way to attach gear like flash-brackets and quick-release plates in a SECURE and hasselfree way!
If you need it it's there, and if you don't: just ignore it!

Third party gear would adopt the new standard very fast and even come out with new possibilities…

4.)
MLU and self timer combined.

Why is there no custom function to automatically combine the self timer with mirror lock up??

5.)
Mounting-holes on flashes.

Why don't at least the bigger models have something like at set of standardized holes on the reflector housing to accommodate certain accessories? As it is now, you have to strap, tape, press, clamp, velcro this stuff on the flash. Third party manufacturers would quickly jump on that train! But wow: they finally (Canon 600EX) managed to let filters be slid in before the reflector – something that Vivitar already provided in the 70ties (285)!

6.)
AF assist pattern without the need of flashing.

Why isn´t it possible to use the flashs AF help pattern in a mode that doesn't engage the flash to fire inaliably (without switching it off every time before shooting)?

For example time exposures in the woods at night: I need to carry a torch light/laser with me just to focus on a tree…

7.)
Lens caps of course!
Ever tried to take off the lens cap of an 135/2.0 L with lens hood attached?

Tokina has the “new” design since almost ever, even Nikon has adopted the idea years ago.

8.)
Remote flash cable.

Why are there no passed thru hot shoe contacts on top of the hot shoe end of the cable?

Sometimes you may want to disengage the flash from the camera for just one or two shots and then effortlessly mount it back on the cam's hot shoe again. But can you? No, you will have to take off the Remote flash cable from the camera first (AND from the flash to avoid it hanging around) and store it somewhere - just because it has no hot shoe on top of it to park the flash.

Just 8 easy ideas (out of maybe 80) which could have been implemented decades ago with NO effort at all... What´s wrong with these guys?

justyntime's gear list:justyntime's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Re: 8 overdue camera improvements
In reply to justyntime, Jun 27, 2012

to be honest (and nothing against you) I dont need any of that, I shoot landscapes and do fine the way things are, I dont want another tripod mount attached as it will add cost take up room and add weight, you cant just stick one any where they are a structural component.
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,686Gear list
Like?

Simple reason these things do not sell cameras. MP, fps and # of AF points do.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 978
Like?
number 6

6.)

This already exists in Canon cameras. Set the flash to not fire and the focus light still works. Set a menu short cut to it and you can quickly disable the flash.
I would rather have a built in focus assist though.

justyntime
Like?
Re: number 6
In reply to Oly Canikon, Jun 27, 2012

Does this work with external flashes too (since I don´t have a built in flash in my 5d MkII). To be activated on the flash or on the camera?

Sony Alpha 7R
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,686Gear list
Like?

The only problem is this is 1D/5D forum. None of these cameras even have a build in flash.

Oly Canikon wrote:

6.)

This already exists in Canon cameras. Set the flash to not fire and the focus light still works. Set a menu short cut to it and you can quickly disable the flash.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
justyntime
Like?
In reply to carlk, Jun 27, 2012

So does it work with 1D/5D plus external flash or not?

Sony Alpha 7R
justyntime
Like?
OP updated!

(Updated - don´t read OP)

Canon and others:

Am I asking for too much? The following proposals are all ultra-low-tech yet noone (at least from Canon) seems to adress this simple stuff:

1.)
5-digit file numbers.

Why is there no opportunity to apply (at least) 5-digit frame count numbers?

This way every shot taken with a specific camera would bear a unique number allowing for perfect chronological archiving of footage (RAW-files) along the lifetime of a camera - including number of actuations! You could store the RAW-Files on a remote HDD and would never have a problem to find them e.g. for re-editing purposes (as long as the file number shows in your edited file too)

2.)

Why doesn't Canon provide a separate or programmable bracketing ON/OFF button, instead of let us fiddling around in menus two times for just one INSTANT bracketed shot??

Maybe they did it by extended customizing of the newer models but on my 5D Mk II: no way! One of the most important options has not been available since decades (maybe the 1D series could?)

3.)
Second tripod mount or standardized nut.

When will there ever be a second ¼ in. tripod mount or standardized nut, like videocameras use to have, maybe an inch away from the first? Finally a way to attach gear like flash-brackets and quick-release plates in a secure, precise and hasselfree way!

If you need it it's there, and if you don't: just ignore it! So it's fully backward compatible!

Third party gear would adopt the new standard very fast and even come out with new possibilities…

4.)

Why is there no custom function to automatically combine the self timer with mirror lock up??

Who would ever NEED self timer w/o MLU anyway? Keeping the servo AF working until release maybe – but remember: just a custom function!

5.)

Why don't at least the bigger models have something like at set of standardized holes on the reflector housing to accommodate certain accessories? Supported by magnets maybe? As it is now, you have to strap, tape, press, clamp, velcro this stuff on the flash. Third party manufacturers would quickly jump on that train!

But wow: they recently (Canon 600EX) managed to let filters be slid in in front the reflector – something that Vivitar already provided in the 70ties (285)!

6.)
AF assist pattern/preflash without the need of firing the flash.

Why isn´t it possible on 1D/5D (w/o built in flash) to use the flash's AF help pattern/test flash in a mode that doesn't engage the flash to fire inaliably (without switching it off every time before shooting)?

For example time exposures in the woods at night: I need to carry a torch light/laser with me just to focus on a tree…

7.)
Lens caps of course!

Tokina has the “new” design since almost ever, even Nikon has adopted the idea years ago.

8.)
Remote flash cable.

Why are there no passed thru hot shoe contacts on top of the hot shoe end of the cable? Sometimes you may want to disengage the flash from the camera for just one or two shots and then effortlessly mount it back on the cam's hot shoe again. But can you? No, you will have to install the remote flash cable first and after the shot take it off again from the camera first (AND from the flash to avoid it hanging around) and store it somewhere - just because it has no hot shoe on top of it to park the flash in order to use it in “camera attached mode” again.

Just 8 easy ideas (out of maybe 80) which could have been implemented decades ago with NO effort at all... What´s wrong with these guys?

Sony Alpha 7R
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,160Gear list
Like?

justyntime wrote:

1.)
5-digit file numbers.

Why not six or eight or twenty? Probably because four digits aren't causing problems.

2.)

Maybe this should be "programmable button to do what I want it to do". Not a lot of people bracket.

3.)
Second tripod mount.

The one is very secure.

Or maybe not.

4.)

Because no one needs it?

5.)

Why don't at least the bigger models have something like at set of standardized holes on the reflector housing to accommodate certain accessories? As it is now, you have to strap, tape, press, clamp, velcro this stuff on the flash. Third party manufacturers would quickly jump on that train!

All manufacturers want their products to work on all flashes, not just Canon's. None would bother.

6.)

They already have this.

7.)
Lens caps of course!

Yeah, what's the problem?

8.)
Remote flash cable.

Why are there no passed thru hot shoe contacts on top of the hot shoe end of the cable?

Because Canon's flash cables are already too fragile.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
Oly Canikon
Like?

justyntime wrote:

So does it work with 1D/5D plus external flash or not?

Yes I am referring to external flash such as 580 ex

Unfortunately I don't have my cam handy right now so I can't tell you the actual function setting. But there is a menu setting where you can tell the flash not to fire.

In that case the red focus assist light will come on when you focus but the flash will not fire. I set a menu shortcut to this so that I can quickly disable or enable the flash firing.

This does not work for the built in flash since it does not have a focus assist light. Also it only works in single shot, not servo. I have used it on Canon 20D, 7D and 5D2.

Oly Canikon
Like?
#7 lens caps

I definitely agree on the lens caps. They are a pain with a hood. I have replaced all of my Canon caps with pinch caps from other manufacturers.

justyntime
Like?
In reply to Scott Larson, Jun 27, 2012

Scott Larson wrote:

justyntime wrote:

1.)
5-digit file numbers.

Why not six or eight or twenty? Probably because four digits aren't causing problems.

Because 5 would be ten times better than 4. If you don´t understand the advantages, please read my update of my OP, If you still don´t understand .. well...

2.)

Maybe this should be "programmable button to do what I want it to do". Not a lot of people bracket.

Not a lot of people do instant printing too - but ther IS a button for it. Listen: I don´t need a dedicated button, but at least the the abilty to assign the function. This feature costs Canon NOTHING!

3.)
Second tripod mount.

The one is very secure.

Says who? Ever tried a quick release plate with a mounted heavy lens w/o tripod collar in vertical mode? Good luck, if you need to keep the framing constant!

Or maybe not.

?? Not very often at Ebay, are you? The Chinese had a battery grip for the 5D MK III even before Canon could deliver! Just one of thousand examples of the FLOOD of dedicated gear!!

4.)

Because no one needs it?

No one needs a time exposure on a tripod to be without mirror shake?? Are you nuts? Pentax 645 D has it and they all praise the idea..

5.)

Why don't at least the bigger models have something like at set of standardized holes on the reflector housing to accommodate certain accessories? As it is now, you have to strap, tape, press, clamp, velcro this stuff on the flash. Third party manufacturers would quickly jump on that train!

All manufacturers want their products to work on all flashes, not just Canon's. None would bother.

Same as for point 3.) Chinese gear suppliers built items to support/replace almost EVERY proprietary brand gear! You must have been sleeping since..?

6.)

They already have this.

Read my update! Apparently not the 1D/5D series w/o flash which I own!

7.)
Lens caps of course!

No comment...

8.)
Remote flash cable.

Make 'em stable??

Next time you better think twice...

Sony Alpha 7R
justyntime
Like?

Thank you for the good news!!

Sony Alpha 7R
customminds
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?
scott = mr negativity...

4 digits always have caused me issues.

different lens caps would also benefit. maybe just lens hoods for all lenses -- like the white lens hoods.

Scott Larson wrote:

justyntime wrote:

1.)
5-digit file numbers.

2.)

3.)
Second tripod mount.

The one is very secure.

Or maybe not.

4.)

Because no one needs it?

5.)

6.)

They already have this.

7.)
Lens caps of course!

8.)
Remote flash cable.

Scott Larson
Like?
Re: scott = mr negativity...
In reply to customminds, Jun 27, 2012

customminds wrote:

4 digits always have caused me issues.

What issues exactly?

different lens caps would also benefit. maybe just lens hoods for all lenses -- like the white lens hoods.

They already have lens hoods for all lenses.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
justyntime
Like?
Re: scott = mr negativity...
In reply to customminds, Jun 27, 2012

Why didn´t you quote my reply to Scott's reply to my post instead of quoting only his reply to my post? Would have said it all...

Remember: I was focusing on improvements that cost almost nothing AND don´t have any downsides (as far as I can see). How could anybody be against such progress ("not to many people use bracketing, blablabla...")? Morons?

Sony Alpha 7R
Scott Larson
Like?

justyntime wrote:

Because 5 would be ten times better than 4. If you don´t understand the advantages, please read my update of my OP, If you still don´t understand .. well...

I read it. More numbers gets me nothing.

The one is very secure.

Says who?

Says everyone I've talked to. Have you seen any posts complaining that the tripod socket isn't secure?

Ever tried a quick release plate with a mounted heavy lens w/o tripod collar in vertical mode? Good luck, if you need to keep the framing constant!

Yes. I've had no problems with this. Perhaps the Chinese quick release plate you bought off of Ebay sucks.

?? Not very often at Ebay, are you? The Chinese had a battery grip for the 5D MK III even before Canon could deliver! Just one of thousand examples of the FLOOD of dedicated gear!!

No, I don't usually buy Chinese stuff off of Ebay. I tend to buy high quality products at camera stores.

No one needs a time exposure on a tripod to be without mirror shake?? Are you nuts? Pentax 645 D has it and they all praise the idea..

Anyone serious about this uses a remote trigger with MLU.

Same as for point 3.) Chinese gear suppliers built items to support/replace almost EVERY proprietary brand gear! You must have been sleeping since..?

Since the last time I bought junk off of Ebay that fell apart.

Canon is not going to make their products more adaptable for thirty party manufacturers. Hell, their latest flashes are jamming Pocket Wizard remote triggers (the most popular remote trigger on the market) and by coincidence Canon just released their own remote flashes.

Make 'em stable??

And larger. And heavier. Just because you think removing a flash cable is too much trouble? My flash cable comes off in seconds.

Maybe you should. You're the one who had to post twice.

nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?
In reply to carlk, Jun 27, 2012

carlk wrote:

The only problem is this is 1D/5D forum. None of these cameras even have a build in flash.

Oly Canikon wrote:

6.)

you don't need a flash, this goes for all the EOS cameras they could atleast include a AF-Assist beam.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +8 more
justyntime
Like?

Scott Larson wrote:

justyntime wrote:

I read it. More numbers gets me nothing.

It seems to me that you are not overly gifted with imagination of the kind that inventors use to have. I can see you working on your laundry manually in 1930 and ask the salesman what good a washing machine might be for! Even worse: you wouldn't give it a chance even if it was an absolutely free present! Because: what issues do you have by washing by hand? People like you only see the (past) issues when they´re gone - solved by SOMEBODY ELSE...
All there is to be said about digits I've already posted.

The one is very secure.

Says who?

Says everyone I've talked to. Have you seen any posts complaining that the tripod socket isn't secure?

Was I talking about security alone? Yes, a single socket is secure in a way that the camera won´t fall off the tripod. But does a quick release plate not twist by accident? Be honest!

Ever tried a quick release plate with a mounted heavy lens w/o tripod collar in vertical mode? Good luck, if you need to keep the framing constant!

Yes. I've had no problems with this. Perhaps the Chinese quick release plate you bought off of Ebay sucks.

I've had them all from established brands like Manfrotto (Bogen) to Gitzo to Arca Swiss to Novoflex. Junk! In principle! Would you mount a company sign outdoors on just one axis, just because it is top quality?? See? Why do you think (professional) video recorders/plates have this extra pin/nut since always?

No, I don't usually buy Chinese stuff off of Ebay. I tend to buy high quality products at camera stores.

Sorry but I have a chinese battery grip for my 5D Mk II for more than 3 years now, and it works flawlessly! And I'm sorry that your "high quality" manufacturers obviously are not flexible and quick enough to meet the demand of the market. You are talking about the chinese merchandise as if they´d still be cropping rice only. As I said: how long have you been sleeping?

Anyone serious about this uses a remote trigger with MLU.

Please show me a remote trigger (from quality manufacturers, hehe) who will do the MLU for you if it is not already set in the menue!!!

Since the last time I bought junk off of Ebay that fell apart.

And that was in 1988? I have six strobes from Youngnuo to supplement my studio strobes from Profoto when on a big location, and for years they never let me down ever!

Canon is not going to make their products more adaptable for thirty party manufacturers. Hell, their latest flashes are jamming Pocket Wizard remote triggers (the most popular remote trigger on the market) and by coincidence Canon just released their own remote flashes.

Oh my God! Why don´t they make their own proprietary tripod mount then???

If they add an additional nut to the existing tripod mount: do they by this make their product more adaptable for thirty party manufacturers?? Are you mad or what? If the are the first to do it, people like you are the first to buy their complementing accessories from Canon ALONE, even if there was third party offers.

Make 'em stable??

And larger. And heavier. Just because you think removing a flash cable is too much trouble? My flash cable comes off in seconds.

Exactly the seconds you lost to make THE shot!
But if forgot: you like to get annoyed by laborious solutions, don´t you?

We are not talking about removing only but also about attaching (and removing, and attaching, and removing...)!

And: I have some Chinese tranceivers who have hot shoes on the bottom and on top. They weigh exactly nothing and are stable as a tank since years!

Maybe you should. You're the one who had to post twice.

Touché, pussycat!
On the other hand: at least I am able to learn and improve!

Sony Alpha 7R
justyntime
Like?
In reply to nekrosoft13, Jun 27, 2012

Yes you are right of course, but this would require additional technology to be built in, which isn´t for free.

The core of my post was to point out solutions that improve a lot and cost almost zero. Like two lines of code that tell a flash to NOT FIRE...

Sony Alpha 7R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads