DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions
jwang88
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th
In reply to katate, Jun 29, 2012

Does the camera have the Live View magnifying feature (1:1 zoom in ) for MF on LCD?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ludvig Andr Lofvenius
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Sigma Japan DP2M link:
In reply to mrkr, Jun 29, 2012

I am shattered by the buttery.

SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to raylob, Jun 29, 2012

raylob wrote:

Before I make any judgments in the DP2 Merrill (I own a DP2) are there any image samples to view that are made by this camera. $999 price is usually translated to approx £999 here in the UK and that to me (and possibly other UK Sigma users) is just too high.
Rauy

Some are available here a/o Friday June 29

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/photo_gallery/index.php?select=all&select3=type_b3_1-1%2B12&select2=all

has anyone done a pre-order in the US? price?

We have trips coming up to Connecticut on July 20 and to San Francisco and Carmel in August, so my timing might be right for once!
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

added: Sigma US website is showing a "street price" of $999 ... but I haven't found anyone listing it, after checking the usual Amazon, B&H, Adorama

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
triplejaydee
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Dp1M
In reply to katate, Jun 29, 2012

I wish they had released the DP1M first! Must...resist...Dp2M..

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,266Gear list
Like?
Re: Dp1M
In reply to triplejaydee, Jun 29, 2012

triplejaydee wrote:

I wish they had released the DP1M first! Must...resist...Dp2M..

Are the not clever?

Release the less desirable first!

It could be so that the DP1m is a bigger challenge as the lens is more difficult.

The DP1 was the most error prone of DP1 and DP2.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,917Gear list
Like?
Re: Funny how many people simply don't get the DP2M
In reply to Nancy and Pete Spader, Jun 29, 2012

"But then I am old enough to have started in photography when great depth of field was a goal." So right, Pete. Because as photography, when there is great depth of field, uniform focus, whatever we call it, there is an illusion of reality. I've done it with pinhole cameras, large size film, where the pinhole gives enough definition that you can question whether a lens was used. The goal of technique is that it disappears.

But, recently, bokeh has become a popular term. In fact, I think the best bokeh is produced from our rangefinder lenses or larrge format lenses with near circular apertures. Until recently, a lot of SLR lens out-of-focus areas were simply unflattering, jarring, terrible. But it will come back full-circle. And some new lenses pay attention to the aperture shape and out of focus rendering.

jonasp
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to triplejaydee, Jun 29, 2012

By the way, does anyone know when that dp1m will be released? Not the exact date but any hints? I did a little search and this summer but also late fall comes out from results of searching but wonder if someone has newer info. Thanks.

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,294Gear list
Like?
Re: @katate
In reply to SaltandPepper, Jun 29, 2012

SaltandPepper wrote:

There 2 things I would like to see (but missing) on the DP2m : built-in evf (like Nex7) and faster lens (f1.4); fotography-wise, this camera has very little improvement, especially with the dropping of buit-in flash. DP1m get faster lens, why not this cam? I have very little incentive to update my DP2s, besides the 46meg would look wonderful on my 42" lcd tv.
SaltnPepper.

My DP2 and SD15 look good when cropped 100% to HD size (1920x1080). The DP2 is 2640x1760, and 1920x1080 is about 1/2 of that. This works out to an effective digital zoom of 41mm x 2 = 82mm

DP2M is going to look just as good as my best SD1 shots. They look good cropped 100% to HD size (1920x1080). The SD1/DP2M sensor is 4704x3136, and 1920x1080 is about 1/7th of that. This works out to an effective digital zoom of 45mm x 7 = 315mm.

So, I can get adequate quality over this range (in post-processing), and put it in my pocket. Not bad. In a way, it's a shame I already have a SD1 and no excuse to buy a DP2M!

Here is a 100% crop of one of my best SD1 shots. Nice to be able to do this sort of thing in a pocketable package. Try looking at this on your lcd TV. It should be OK!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Jun 29, 2012

Hi Tom,

there is some nasty banding in the sky... maybe it is the (uncalibrated) laptop LCD that amplifies this. But you are right, for a 100% view, this looks good.

Cheers

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonasp, Jun 29, 2012

jonasp wrote:

By the way, does anyone know when that dp1m will be released? Not the exact date but any hints? I did a little search and this summer but also late fall comes out from results of searching but wonder if someone has newer info. Thanks.

Just take a look at the front page:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/29/Sigma-DP2-Merrill-price-and-availability

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Tom Schum
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 29, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

A good price has its advantages - both if you want to buy the camera, but also if you wish that the camera shall be a success. $1000 is a bit high for a simple compact camera. A bit high. Its seldom a good idea to put yourself just above what people are prepared to pay.

The vast majority of people looking for a camera will simply use their cellphones. We are seeing the end of the dedicated mass-market point-and-shoot:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/26/Nokia-808-Pureview-41MP-smartphone-coming-soon

There will always be a small (very small) group of diehard photo enthusiasts that refuse to sink to the level of the cellphone camera (no matter how good it might be) and these are the people Sigma, Leica, and so on will satisfy.

The mass-market point-and-shoot manufacturers such as Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc have seen the writing on the wall. This is why we are seeing so many more premium choices from them lately.

Only my fringe opinion of course.

Finally, my opinion is that Sigma did a good job with the pricing of the DP2M: Less than Leica X2, about the same as Fuji X100, more than Canon G1X, and less than half the price of the SD1M, which does not use live-view sensor-based focusing found in the DP2M. A good aim by the financial archers at Sigma I think. Any non SD1/M owner ought to jump at it, as well as numerous semi-disappointed Leica, Fuji, Canon, and Nikon owners. Sigma might easily sell thousands of these, while the cellphones meanwhile sell by the tens of millions....
--
Tom Schum

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Tom Schum
Like?
In reply to Joerg V, Jun 29, 2012

Joerg V wrote:

Hi Tom,

there is some nasty banding in the sky... maybe it is the (uncalibrated) laptop LCD that amplifies this. But you are right, for a 100% view, this looks good.

Cheers

Joerg

Yes, you're right. This was pointed out a month or two earlier when I first posted the image. I like to push saturation and contrast, and there is a price to pay!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum
Like?
In reply to tourtrophy, Jun 29, 2012

tourtrophy wrote:

ulfie wrote:

Roland, I realize that. But I don't enjoy spending lots of computing time with imaging. I appreciate good jpeg engines, if one can call them that, ones that help me capture things as I see them without resorting to a lot of post-processing time and energy. Other photogs' mileage/kilometrage may vary though.

The best JPEG engine I have seen is from Fuji. Don't expect Sigma to improve in this department any time soon. Probably never for its track record. I have the Fuji X10, it cranks out pretty good images as long as you don't make large prints for any high ISO shots. The dynamic range you can get from its EXR hardware pixel binning is phenomenal for such a small sensor. The orb thing is just a hysteria, I only see it once in a blue moon and Fuji is now retrofitting the sensor. But IQ wise under broad daylight condition, Foveon wins still.

Agree completely, Fuji has the best OOC JPGs. I have an X10 and agree with you about it too. Not bothered by orbs, I will be keeping my X10 un-improved.
--
Tom Schum

Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Jun 29, 2012

Richard Franiec wrote:

jonasp wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/29/Sigma-DP2-Merrill-price-and-availability

Thats the DP2m. The question was about DP1m.

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Jun 29, 2012

Tom Schum wrote:

The vast majority of people looking for a camera will simply use their cellphones. We are seeing the end of the dedicated mass-market point-and-shoot:

As far as I know - compact digital cameras sell quite well. And as far as I can see, only a small minority is using cell phones. At least among tourists. Among friends, in particular younger people, the phones are common though. I would guess that more than 90% of all images are taken by non phones.

FritsThomsen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,759
Like?
In reply to jonasp, Jun 29, 2012

jonasp wrote:

I think they first said that the DP-2M wolud be released in June and the DP-1 M in August ... now DP-2M comes one month late...so we can guess that DP-1M will be out in September maybe ???

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jul 3, 2012

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

jonasp wrote:

Thats the DP2m. The question was about DP1m.

Thank you for the correction, Roland, my apology to "jonasp".
I guess we all have to wait for "leaks" from Sigma themselves.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads