DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions
katate
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th
Jun 26, 2012

http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdigicame-info.com%2F2012%2F06%2Fdp2-merrill-712.html%23comments

These accessories will also be released.

• Close-up Lens AML-2

• LH2-01 lens hood

• AC adapter SAC-5

• Battery charger BC-41

• Li-Ion Battery - BP-41

Actual sale price is about 90,000 yen to 100,000 yen (1,100~1,200 dollars)

Specs are as follows:

• 46MP Foveon X3 sensor (23.5x15.7mm)

• 30mm F2.8 (one aspherical lens, 3 high refractive index glass)

• Dual TRUE II processor

• 920,000 dot 3.0-inch LCD monitor

• ISO100-6400 (AUTO200-800)

• Up to 7 frames continuous shooting, up to 4 frames/sec

• Video 640x480 30fps, AVI

• AF 9 point selection mode and the free movement mode

• Can be selected from three types the size of the focus frame

• Can be used in MF focus ring of the lens

• AF + MF mode; you can adjust the focus with the focus ring after AF

• RAW + JPEG simultaneous recording

• Comes with SIGMA Photo Pro software development

• SD card (SDXC)

• 59.2mm Depth 121.5mm × height 66.7mm x width

• 355 grams in weight

Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Lovely
In reply to katate, Jun 26, 2012

I wonder how many realize the importance of this:

AF + MF mode; you can adjust the focus with the focus ring after AF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,898Gear list
Like?
Re: Lovely
In reply to mrkr, Jun 26, 2012

mrkr wrote:
I wonder how many realize the importance of this:

AF + MF mode; you can adjust the focus with the focus ring after AF

Got that on some of my Pentax lenses. Its nice.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?
Re: DP2 Merrill may be released on July 12th

100000 yen = 1000€... sounds reasonable.

Now bring on the sample pictures!

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
maridia
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
@katate

It would be lovely if this release date is to be true, though I think its alleged price is much too high. Not that it doesn't have the potential to be worth it, only I don't feel it marketable at a cost over $800. Not that I know what I am talking about, mind you.

For me, this camera is just about perfect - but not close enough to warrant an intended purchase from me (yet), especially at the alleged cost.

I know people scoff at the beckoning of image stabilization on fixed lens cameras, but I feel it to be a very, very important feature. And with the DP series lacking again in this regard, I am left frustrated and perplexed. As other than this, and the poor macro performance, the DP2M is a seemingly huge leap forward over its predecessor and definitely a camera to watch. I returned my DP1x due to its poor auto-focus times and horrid LCD screen, and the lack of IS and poor macro (though I knew these features to be missing when I ordered it). If only the new DP series had IS, and a lower price point, I'd be scrambling to find a place to preorder one from.

Well, it'd also be super nice if Sigma would show a little Linux love with respect to its proprietary software.

maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725
Like?
In reply to katate, Jun 27, 2012

That’s great news, if true. I’m in no rush for it, though, since I already have an SD1M and a number lenses good enough to go with it.

I’m still hoping for a Foveon inside mirror-less system. A DP in the form of NEX-7 or NX20 should be very popular, since Sigma is quite capable of complementing it with a full range of excellent lenses for very reasonable price.
--
Maple

colinbm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
In reply to maple, Jun 27, 2012

There are a lot of fledglings on this forum ?

You can hear them all the time & now with a new release they will sure be chirping out loud again cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.................... rolls eyes !
Col

Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to colinbm, Jun 27, 2012

colinbm wrote:

There are a lot of fledglings on this forum ?

You can hear them all the time & now with a new release they will sure be chirping out loud again cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.................... rolls eyes !

A good price has its advantages - both if you want to buy the camera, but also if you wish that the camera shall be a success. $1000 is a bit high for a simple compact camera. A bit high. Its seldom a good idea to put yourself just above what people are prepared to pay.

Now - I do understand that Sigma may have high costs for making it. And I also do understand that the image quality may be stunning. So - for some its worth it. But some. no matter how much fans they are, cannot motivate the cost. And most on this planet just wants a camera.

But - you also have to understand that you can get a u43 camera for $400 with zoom lens and a Sony NEX camera with zoom lens for $600. At $1000, the DP2m is at the same kind of level as NEX7, just below. And NEX7 is so much more camera.

Personally I think the DPm cameras should sell well at $500. Then you can get a kit of both for $1000.

But, of course, if they want to be niche with low sales, by all means keep it expensive. The Leica X2 is $1500. But to compete with that camera, you have to rebadge the DP cameras with the Leica brand.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +8 more
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jun 27, 2012

Hmmm... I reckon the street price will end up being closer to $700 - which is still pretty high, IMO.
--
Regards,

Vitée

Capture all the light and colour!

http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to SigmaChrome, Jun 27, 2012

SigmaChrome wrote:

Hmmm... I reckon the street price will end up being closer to $700 - which is still pretty high, IMO.

$700 is reasonable.

One problem is that this almost always means EUR 700, plus the 25% VAT we have in Sweden and the camera costs $1500 in Sweden. To buy stuff in Sweden, you have to double the tax free US prices.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Gross misunderstanding:

$1000 is a bit high for a simple compact camera.

The DP2M is not a simple compact camera.

Bodoh
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?
Re: Gross misunderstanding:
In reply to mrkr, Jun 27, 2012

Really? compared to what? Compared to NEX-7 the DP2M is a pretty simple camera.

-- hide signature --
 Bodoh's gear list:Bodoh's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
Johan Borg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933
Like?

Roland Karlsson wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

$700 is reasonable.

One problem is that this almost always means EUR 700, plus the 25% VAT we have in Sweden and the camera costs $1500 in Sweden. To buy stuff in Sweden, you have to double the tax free US prices.

I think you're a little bit pessimistic there, although my original DP2 did cost me $1000+ in Norway with current dollar value. What US customers maybe don't see is how cheap the dollar is and that $1000 today really isn't more than $625 of 2001 value

Sigma's MSRP of DP1X is $800 which is almost exactly the street price in Oslo including 25% VAT.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Looks to me that you also do not understand the DP2M:
In reply to Bodoh, Jun 27, 2012

Compared to NEX-7 the DP2M is a pretty simple camera.

Could be a simple case of not being able to look beyond appearences, of course.

ToasterFlyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,138
Like?
In reply to mrkr, Jun 27, 2012

mrkr wrote:

$1000 is a bit high for a simple compact camera.

Simple in regards to feature set and operation. Doesn't Sigma use simplicity in their adverts? No bells no whistles = simple. It's not a bad thing. Let's see if Sigma actually learned anything from the initial SD1 price disaster.

Rich
ny

tilman
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
In reply to ToasterFlyer, Jun 27, 2012

ToasterFlyer wrote:

Simple in regards to feature set and operation. Doesn't Sigma use simplicity in their adverts? No bells no whistles = simple. It's not a bad thing.

Yup, I love the simplicity of the DP1 and DP2.
Means that even a simple person like me can focus on taking pictures.

(Not saying that some of their aspects couldn't be improved upon.
Quite the opposite.
But more features is not what I would want in the next generation DP's.
Just the few, done right )

3dreal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,029
Like?
In reply to maple, Jun 27, 2012

maple wrote:

That’s great news, if true. I’m in no rush for it, though, since I already have an SD1M and a number lenses good enough to go with it.

I’m still hoping for a Foveon inside mirror-less system. A DP in the form of NEX-7 or NX20 should be very popular, since Sigma is quite capable of complementing it with a full range of excellent lenses for very reasonable price.
--
Maple

Its anoying if we have to read the same all over again and again. WE KNOW THIS SINCE YEARS!
--
http://www.stereopan.org

RKGoth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
Re: @katate
In reply to maridia, Jun 27, 2012

maridia wrote:

It would be lovely if this release date is to be true, though I think its alleged price is much too high. Not that it doesn't have the potential to be worth it, only I don't feel it marketable at a cost over $800.

You know, I think you're wrong, I mean, it's not really going to be marketable unless it's under $400. Though I think those people with only $300 to spend on a camera might be shut out of that market. Actually I think it should be $200. I mean, it's not like a year ago that sensor was only available in a body costing $8000...

-- hide signature --
 RKGoth's gear list:RKGoth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Samsung Galaxy Camera 3G Sigma DP2 Quattro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Olympus E-510 +60 more
SaltandPepper
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to RKGoth, Jun 27, 2012

There 2 things I would like to see (but missing) on the DP2m : built-in evf (like Nex7) and faster lens (f1.4); fotography-wise, this camera has very little improvement, especially with the dropping of buit-in flash. DP1m get faster lens, why not this cam? I have very little incentive to update my DP2s, besides the 46meg would look wonderful on my 42" lcd tv.
SaltnPepper.

RKGoth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to SaltandPepper, Jun 27, 2012

SaltandPepper wrote:

There 2 things I would like to see (but missing) on the DP2m : built-in evf (like Nex7) and faster lens (f1.4); fotography-wise, this camera has very little improvement,

Excellent assessment there. Shame everyone else thought that what the original DP models needed was resolution rather than thinking about the photography side...

especially with the dropping of buit-in flash. DP1m get faster lens, why not this cam?

Physics, most likely.

I have very little incentive to update my DP2s, besides the 46meg would look wonderful on my 42" lcd tv.

Yes, 'cause that 2Mp resolution is really going to shine with a 15.4Mp Spatial source file...

-- hide signature --
 RKGoth's gear list:RKGoth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Samsung Galaxy Camera 3G Sigma DP2 Quattro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Olympus E-510 +60 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads