Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 28,921
Like?
Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012
Jun 26, 2012

We invite you again to show your own snapshots or even choice pictures. Remember it's all about the enjoyment of taking pictures regardless of what we have. We can learn from each other and it's fun to share too.

Last Saturday morning it started with lots of rain that wouldn't let up. But I decided to go out anyway with the cameras, to first start taking pictures of flowers with raindrops. After getting some of those, the skies cleared for a while with a little sun. Then as I was walking along the waterfront in Portland, Oregon it started to rain again, but this time even harder.

Here's a series of photos that I took that I hope you like as I braved the wind and rain beneath an umbrella. I also found some shelter under a bridge. Other people weren't as lucky with the rain as you can see.

We will start a new thread for this every week now due to the popularity. I'll be sure to comment also to your images, if you choose to share. Thanks everyone for your participation.

Photo No. 1 - As I walked north, I turned around looking south at the clouds that formed behind me. It didn't look good at all, as the clouds got darker and darker.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO400, F11, 1/400, 65mm FL

Photo No. 2 - The rain started quickly, so I didn't have a lot of time to protect myself from the moisture. But I knew this was a good photo op, so I immediately started clicking away, getting a little wet in the process.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/250, 60mm FL

Photo No. 3 - The rain continued hard like this for a few minutes under dark conditions.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/500, 60mm FL (cropped)

Photo No. 4 - Even though the rain slowed down some, the runners were still getting drenched.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/400, 84mm FL

Photo No. 5 - They moved quickly past me.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/400, 84mm FL (cropped)

Photo No. 6 - I assume that the kids liked riding their bikes in the rain.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/500, 55mm FL

Photo No. 7 - Finally as I walked further north, the rain slowed down some more.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/400, 55mm FL

Photo No. 8 - As I looked ahead northward, the skies cleared.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO1600, F11, 1/1000, 55mm FL

Photo No. 9 - The sun appeared and for the rest of the day it was mostly nice, except for an evening sprinkle.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO400, F11, 1/1250, 55mm FL

Photo No. 10 - With a little sunshine, life was good again along the waterfront.

Canon T2i (550D), 55-250mm IS lens, ISO400, F11, 1/400, 123mm FL (cropped)

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Tinker Swiss Cottage Rockford, IL
In reply to Digirame, Jun 26, 2012

I hope it doesn't bug anyone I've been posting 60D pictures here... I also own an XT and my wife is shooting a T3i, besides this is easily the friendliest Canon forum here.

Anyway I went to a house tour this last weekend with my 28mm f/1.8 lens and they let me take pictures inside. Some of the images below are what I came away with. I love the 28mm lens and highly recommend it. IMHO fast primes are fantastic.

f/2.5 ISO 3200 -- A portrait of the former home owner and neat wood work

f/4 ISO 400 -- A letter

f/2.8 ISO 1600 -- One of the ceilings

f/2.8 ISO 1600 -- Old time chess

f/2.5 ISO 2000 -- Drawings of the home owner and his wife

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012

Most people give up photography when it rains and you went on shooting anyway! Kudos to you. I've been beginning to take an interest in street photography too. The last image especially is well done.

Dave

davidrestes
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012

Really like 2 and 9. I like the composition of 2, but the focus seems soft (as compared to 3 or 4) I haven't shot in the rain, so is the softness a result of the rain? Does the camera have a harder time focusing in the rain? Really like the clouds/sky in 9. I'll post a few recent ones in another post.

David

davidrestes's gear list:davidrestes's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
davidrestes
Like?
Davidrestes Snaps...June 25, 2012

Here are some images from two recent outings. The first 2 are from a model shoot. A photography group I'm in had a session where we could use a studio setup with background, main light, hair light, diffusers, radio freq triggers, etc. Was very educational. In photos 3 to six, I follow a coworker as he participates in a duathlon (run, bike run). I haven't done much sport photography and I'm very open to comments and suggestions.

Canon EOS 6D
Digirame
Like?
Re: Tinker Swiss Cottage Rockford, IL
In reply to Dave Throgmartin, Jun 26, 2012

That's nice to see the furnishing in the older home with the portraits and writings. The writing style was interesting to see. I enjoyed seeing the high ISO settings and wide apertures to capture the pictures inside (which I assume was without a flash).

The Canon 60D is most welcome here...close enough to the Canon T3i (600D).

Digirame
Like?
Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012 - Thanks
In reply to Dave Throgmartin, Jun 26, 2012

Thanks. I struggled a little that morning to get outdoors in the rain, but I knew that the photo ops are there too. Using higher ISO settings, we can get those nice images.

Digirame
Like?
Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012 - Thanks
In reply to davidrestes, Jun 27, 2012

Thanks. Yes, as far as I know, the softness is due to the rain. We don't see all of it, but the rain was pouring very close to me as well as far from me, and everywhere in between. I kept the focal length short with that lens, to reduce the compression affect. Also with a short focal length, the depth of field is more, so we don't have to be as concerned about that...plus I liked showing the people with the heavy rainfall all around. I cropped some of the images to get closer.

Digirame
Like?
Re: Davidrestes Snaps...June 25, 2012
In reply to davidrestes, Jun 27, 2012

Those are very nice photos. The model is pretty, which always helps us get nicer images.

I've taken a few pictures at sports events, such as our annual marathon in Portland, Oregon. It's tough to do, especially if the lighting is poor. Now that I'm using the Canon T2i (550D), I should be able to do better with the higher ISO settings (so I get enough shutter speeds and depth of field). Taking pictures of people in motion is always challenging, where we try to remember all of our good techniques quickly; there's no time to remember things slowly.

davidrestes
Like?
Re: Show Your Snaps...June 25, 2012 - Thanks
In reply to Digirame, Jun 27, 2012

I'd like to do some photos in the rain, but it may be awhile, as we are in the midst of a heat wave (Kansas, should be over 100 tomorrow)

BTW, thanks for hosting these weekly Show your Shots. Lots of fun.

Canon EOS 6D
rsr1234
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
after rain ..
In reply to Digirame, Jun 27, 2012

-- hide signature --

any picture taken is a history captured ...:)

rsr1234's gear list:rsr1234's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 657Gear list
Like?
Maddy Jo Fascinated by LED Lantern
In reply to rsr1234, Jun 27, 2012

Our granddaughter is intrigued by this led lantern.

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D +6 more
Digirame
Like?
Re: after rain ..
In reply to rsr1234, Jun 27, 2012

It does look unkempt near the bench with the after affects of the rain. How much rain did you have? Where was this photographed? What is written on the sign?

Digirame
Like?
Re: Maddy Jo Fascinated by LED Lantern
In reply to RLBur, Jun 27, 2012

Those are very good...clearly in the first photo she is fascinated with the light. In the second one she has a look of wonderment and content.

Digirame
Like?
Street Photos with the 18-55mm IS Lens
In reply to Digirame, Jun 28, 2012

Here's some street photos I took in Portland, Oregon before our annual parade began. The kids were playing "Simon Says". They were so cute. I only wished I got there earlier, so I could have taken more pictures of them.

Of course we had cloudy skies, but at least it wasn't raining.

Photo No. 1

Canon T2i (550D), 18-55mm IS lens, ISO1600, F9, 1/320, 23mm FL

Photo No. 2

Canon T2i (550D), 18-55mm IS lens, ISO1600, F9, 1/400, 42mm FL

Photo No. 3

Canon T2i (550D), 18-55mm IS lens, ISO1600, F9, 1/320, 18mm FL

Photo No. 4

Canon T2i (550D), 18-55mm IS lens, ISO1600, F9, 1/400, 18mm FL

rsr1234
Like?
Re: Maddy Jo Fascinated by LED Lantern
In reply to RLBur, Jun 28, 2012

very nice pictures .. she is so cute .. n she is so much fascinated .. gr8 pictures ..thnks for sharing ..
--

Canon EOS 550D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
rsr1234
Like?
In reply to Digirame, Jun 28, 2012

hey

its the same place where i took that temple's picture .. remember i told you it is surrouneded by garden's , that was one day it had nice showers . i usually go thr from past 3 yrs everytime there is 1st rain at this part of country . It's very beautiful .

the sign just says" keep the area clean "hmmn :P( it's written in kannada- local language of bangalore)

-- hide signature --

Digirame
Like?
In reply to rsr1234, Jun 29, 2012

That's neat to know that the sign was asking people to keep the area clean. But there's not much we can do about "mother nature".

Thanks for the explanation. Often there's a story behind every photograph. I like to encourage people to describe a little about their pictures. I do that each time also. With an international forum, we sure get to know each other from around the world, just as if we were all tourists.

Canadian Club
Forum ProPosts: 40,878
Like?
Another Great Post to Start Again.
In reply to Digirame, Jun 29, 2012

You have to be given a pat on the back for getting out and taking pictures and I might add very good ones, (a few chasers to boot). Excellent.

CC

-- hide signature --

Canadian Club with a chaser.

3D Frames and OOB Gallery
http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/george_mocks_3d_frame_gallery&page=all

Digirame
Like?
Another Great Post to Start Again - Thanks
In reply to Canadian Club, Jun 29, 2012

Thanks. I'm glad you liked them. Yes, it's been hard with all this rain; my umbrella never leaves my side (I actually had two of them). We are close to breaking another record for precipitation for the month of June. I guess we shouldn't complain with all the heat in the interior of the country. With the rain we get cool weather. This next Saturday we are forecast to have more rain showers. I'll have to meet the challenge again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads