Is this a studio?

Started Jun 25, 2012 | Discussions
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,480
Like?
Is this a studio?
Jun 25, 2012

http://www.ccelevn.com/# !studio-rental

Take a look at the interior shots. White walls. Large glass windows. No partitioning of any kind. Would this work as a studio environment for you?

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,082
Like?
Re: Is this a studio?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 25, 2012

Are you asking because you want to use it?
Or because you think it is not adequate?
the prices seem to be good from where I am. (SoCal)
Especially if it includes access to that roof top pool/deck area.

I suppose that if she makes enough money a cove and lighting rail system will show up sometime.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------

if I mock you, it may be well deserved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jun 25, 2012

No, I do NOT want to use it. I was curious if anyone else thought it might be useful as a studio to them to see if I was missing something. Again, no partitions, no props, sets, minimal lighting, all glass front wall. Would you find it useful as a studio? Honestly, it just looks like a vacant strip mall office.

Maybe I'm just missing its potential.

drh681 wrote:

I suppose that if she makes enough money a cove and lighting rail system will show up sometime.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,117
Like?

It comes with the "gear" for an extra $10 an hour.

Sounds like a steal if I get to stipulate what gear needs to be available at the start of my hour...

-Suntan

ChrisBurch
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?

It looks to me like someone making a creative use of unleased space. That said, I would love to have something like that to shoot and could make it work for most of what I would do in a studio. If you want to block out the window light, it looks like you're out of luck, though. It also looks like everyone can look inside and see what you're doing, so there won't be any privacy.

ChrisBurch's gear list:ChrisBurch's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +14 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Like?
In reply to ChrisBurch, Jun 25, 2012

These were my main concerns. A studio is supposed to offer CONTROL. With all that window light, a photographer using supplemental lights would be constantly battling ambient illumination and potential color temperature contamination. And the lack of privacy would kill a lot of shoots. The white walls only compound the problem.

On the whole, it looks like one of those places where it's only a "studio" if one can work within the environmental limitations. Which sort of defeats the purpose of a studio environment to begin with.

ChrisBurch wrote:

If you want to block out the window light, it looks like you're out of luck, though. It also looks like everyone can look inside and see what you're doing, so there won't be any privacy.

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 11,082
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 26, 2012

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

No, I do NOT want to use it. I was curious if anyone else thought it might be useful as a studio to them to see if I was missing something. Again, no partitions, no props, sets, minimal lighting, all glass front wall. Would you find it useful as a studio? Honestly, it just looks like a vacant strip mall office.

Maybe I'm just missing its potential.

drh681 wrote:

Well it is a "store front".
But it seems to work for her style of shooting.
Like I said, I would atleast install a coved floor or even a corner cyclorama.
and the "ambient" light you disdain is a source and quality all its own.

depending on the window's orientation to the sun's track, this may provide a nice soft light all day most of the year.

I don't know if I'd like to have my clients "on display" as we work; but I could always set the drop with the back to the window.

So yeah, I think you are overlooking some ideas for working in such a space.(including that roof deck!)

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?

shrug... I can deal with the window in a number of TEMPORARY ways, if I wanted to use it as a convient location studio. A few stands and cross bar / extension poles and you can drape the entire window white, black pink pokadotted if you need. or a couple screw in hooks on the walls with a taut wire (clothesline) works too, and the owner might agree to such an improvement. Or lean several 5x7 collapsible backgrounds against the window. Just takes 2-3 collapsible backgrounds and some binder clips to make as quick changing area, if needed, too.

If I had 45 min B4 and 30 min after a scheduled shoot time slot, I could make it very studio-ish and then strip mall-ish afterwards. Hopefully the setup/tear down time would be allowed, and the space not be booked back to back to back with different photogs.

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?

Im in the middle/northern part of Maine in a po-dunk, abandoned, run-down, ex-mill town and Ill tell you what, if THIS were available in MY town WITHOUT the rooftop and pool, Id be leasing it for a year!!!!! You have to pay DOUBLE that for a store front here, and its nowhere near as clean as that place.

But, its all location. Maybe that listing is in a REALLY bad part of town. I dont know how theyre renting it out WITH equipment so cheap. Makes no sense.
--
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3317198770/albums

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,189Gear list
Like?

Peter Hurley started out in a small New York apartment with a large North facing window and no other lighting equipment so yes, you could make do with a studio like this.

http://peterhurley.com/

If I owned it I would add at least two sets of draw drapes, one light colored and one black. Add some "V" white/black reflectors/flags and some lights and you would have a very nice studio.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jun 26, 2012

drh681 wrote:

depending on the window's orientation to the sun's track, this may provide a nice soft light all day most of the year.

I don't disdain ambient light at all. I do disdain the idea that it's there even when I don't want it.

I don't know if I'd like to have my clients "on display" as we work; but I could always set the drop with the back to the window.

Probably my biggest concern. And very limiting. Nothing more than PG, for sure. And, with it being an hourly-rental place, much value would be lost having to cart in my own materials and spend time blocking up window space just for some privacy.

I had a friend who rented his studio out to make extra money. Totally different. Plenty of backdrops, lights, modifiers, props, sets, furnishings. A reception area. Black walls and ceiling. Partitions. A sound system. Bathroom with a shower. He charged $45 an hour, just $5 more than this place if you include what they admit are extremely limited equipment. What a difference.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
-----.....------

BellaBull8
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this a studio? Depends.

I think it would depend on your needs. The day rate is very good if it's largely a matter of space.

I have my own lights, stands, backgrounds, etc. so whether it is stocked or not doesn't matter much to me. I could see it making sense if what you need is a large space to work in.

I didn't notice whether there were changing areas, restrooms, etc. as well or not. Again, you could easily set up a changing area with a few screens. I think it's a good option for people on a budget with no home studio space.
--
Don't assume. It makes an a** out of you and me.
http://www.molimogallery.com
http://www.facebook.com/molimophoto

BellaBull8's gear list:BellaBull8's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jun 27, 2012

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

drh681 wrote:

I don't disdain ambient light at all. I do disdain the idea that it's there even when I don't want it.

Exactly!

It isn't a STUDIO facility until the light can be controlled, and that means shutting off the windows with dense curtains or blinds to keep all that uncontrolled daylight out!

As it is, it is NOT a studio, but a location that's potentialy useful for photography. That's different. And as a location, the high levels of ambient light may be useful.

On the other hand, it is a very cheap location, and may improve if the owner gets a regular income from it.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Spooner
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 3, 2012

A window's only a window until you block it. That's all that's needed, and then you have some control over the lighting. The facility management may have something to say about what those drapes/blinds look like, though.

And not to open the whole black walls/white walls debate again, but I'd never shoot in a space with black walls. It doesn't make a significant difference when shooting, and when you turn off the photo lights and just have to 'exist' in it, it's damn disheartening. Yuck. Unless you're a goth, then have at 'er!

John

Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,455
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 4, 2012

Well, I'd want to be able to block the front windows, both for privacy and light control, but other than that it seems very usable to me. Especially for the price. Of course I'm used to working on location and can carry everything I need in the van.

I've paid more for hotel rooms - sometimes not very elegant ones - and had to work around the furniture, not to mention schlepping gear and backdrops up and down the elevator.

Gato

Silver Mirage Gallery:
http://www.silvermirage.com

ratzass
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Jul 5, 2012

Any space is "a studio" if you make it one. Case closed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads