Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings

Started Jun 24, 2012 | Discussions
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
Jun 24, 2012

Another thing I enjoy about the Xpro-1 is the quality of the BW OOC jpegs.

I've found that setting noise reduction to -2 and sharpness to +2 and ISO to 6400 yields files that render very sharp grain-like noise. In bygone silver halide days I appreciated tri-x processed in 1:25 Rodinal and printed with a Focomat enlarger - gave very sharply rendered detail and grain.

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.

This image uses the above approach:

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.
-Framus

 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Digart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,742Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Jun 24, 2012

A lovely b&w, especially at 6400 ISO. I occasionally work with SEP and like it a lot, but IMHO I think you are doing fine as is. :)))

Regards,
--
Digart

 Digart's gear list:Digart's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zyghom
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Jun 24, 2012

we are closer and closer to the negative

-- hide signature --

Zygfryd Homonto
http://homonto.eu

 zyghom's gear list:zyghom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to Digart, Jun 24, 2012

Not so much me as the in camera jpeg conversion the Fuji developed.
Plust the sensor has very 'grain like' noise.

Can you comment on SEP's grain engine?

-Framus

Digart wrote:

A lovely b&w, especially at 6400 ISO. I occasionally work with SEP and like it a lot, but IMHO I think you are doing fine as is. :)))

Regards,
--
Digart

 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digart
Senior MemberPosts: 2,742Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Jun 24, 2012

framus wrote:

Not so much me as the in camera jpeg conversion the Fuji developed.
Plust the sensor has very 'grain like' noise.

Can you comment on SEP's grain engine?

Yes, you can control the amount of film-like grain you desire in your images. Also, there are many different film stocks (Tri-x, etc.) you can emulate.

-Framus

Digart wrote:

A lovely b&w, especially at 6400 ISO. I occasionally work with SEP and like it a lot, but IMHO I think you are doing fine as is. :)))

Regards,
--
Digart

-- hide signature --

Digart

 Digart's gear list:Digart's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Jun 24, 2012

love it--which B&W setting did you use?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Jun 25, 2012

Here is what I did with X-Pro1 and SEP for B+W

-- hide signature --

Creyr Glas Lightworks

 Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188
Like?
Silver efex is a must have
In reply to framus, Jun 25, 2012

If you must live on ramen for a month to get your hands on silver efex, do so! It's totally worth the sacrifice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
borgein
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?
Re: Silver efex is a must have
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 25, 2012

There's also a 15 day trial version available so that you can test SEP 2 before you consider purchasing it.

Just go to this link: http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php
and click the "15 day free trial" button on the top right.

I advice you to watch a few SEP 2 videos on Youtube first though, so that you can use SEP 2 during those fifteen days at it's full potential.

Control points is a blessing!

Toccata47 wrote:

If you must live on ramen for a month to get your hands on silver efex, do so! It's totally worth the sacrifice.

 borgein's gear list:borgein's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
929406
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Silver efex is a must have
In reply to borgein, Sep 5, 2012

Agreed, after hearing so many good things about it I decided to try it out. Very worthwhile, makes a nice difference to my previous attempts at B&W.

Wonder what color efex is like?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MuMinded
Senior MemberPosts: 1,938
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 5, 2012

Wow, beautiful tonal range all the way thru.. very very impressive for in-camera work..

I appreciate you giving me your settings.. might just have to add that to my quick menu..

I use SEP 2 simple for the fact that I can tinker with the sliders to give the effect of different filters.. back in my film days I used my red gels often... Now, with either LR or better still, SEP, I have an entire virtual gel set in my computer..

Having said that, I totally respect you taking the time to study and experiment to get great outputs right from the Xpro-1 jpeg engine.. Kudos.

MuMinded

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.
-Framus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
929406
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 5, 2012

framus wrote:

Another thing I enjoy about the Xpro-1 is the quality of the BW OOC jpegs.

I've found that setting noise reduction to -2 and sharpness to +2 and ISO to 6400 yields files that render very sharp grain-like noise. In bygone silver halide days I appreciated tri-x processed in 1:25 Rodinal and printed with a Focomat enlarger - gave very sharply rendered detail and grain.

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.

This image uses the above approach:

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.
-Framus

Hi Framus

Which in camera b&w filter have you found best results with in addition to the iso, sharpness and noise reduction setting you have listed in your OP? Although I am now a silver efex convert, I can still appreciate the simplicity of OOC b&w

thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to 929406, Sep 5, 2012

I use BW or BWY pretty much interchangeably.
-Framus

929406 wrote:

framus wrote:

Another thing I enjoy about the Xpro-1 is the quality of the BW OOC jpegs.

I've found that setting noise reduction to -2 and sharpness to +2 and ISO to 6400 yields files that render very sharp grain-like noise. In bygone silver halide days I appreciated tri-x processed in 1:25 Rodinal and printed with a Focomat enlarger - gave very sharply rendered detail and grain.

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.

This image uses the above approach:

Someday when I recover from the financial impact of purchasing the Xpro-1 I plan to look into Nik Silver Efex Pro.
-Framus

Hi Framus

Which in camera b&w filter have you found best results with in addition to the iso, sharpness and noise reduction setting you have listed in your OP? Although I am now a silver efex convert, I can still appreciate the simplicity of OOC b&w

thanks

 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 5, 2012

Nice. There are a few noise "white dead pixel" like on the right side dark area. But they can be easily removed (or add more?)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to love_them_all, Sep 5, 2012

Funniest thing I've seen here in a while.

Peep much?

-Framus

love_them_all wrote:

Nice. There are a few noise "white dead pixel" like on the right side dark area. But they can be easily removed (or add more?)

 framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
km25
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 5, 2012

Acufine 1:3 Tri-X at ASA 800. Nice work. I miss Fuji's ISO 1600 film. With my X-Pro I am going to to try. Again nice work and thank you for the info.
--
kam

 km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 7, 2012

Lol no, don't peep.

framus wrote:
Funniest thing I've seen here in a while.

Peep much?

-Framus

love_them_all wrote:

Nice. There are a few noise "white dead pixel" like on the right side dark area. But they can be easily removed (or add more?)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 928
Like?
Re: Silver efex is a must have
In reply to 929406, Sep 7, 2012

929406 wrote:

Wonder what color efex is like?

Fantastic.
Especially for its contrast filters (pro, tonal...).

Best regards

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to framus, Sep 7, 2012

My B&W Settings:

BWr
Shadows +1
Highlights -2
Sharpening +1
Noise Reduction -2

I wish there was mid-range contrast controls.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
km25
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: Xpro-1 BW Output - My Settings
In reply to Asylum Photo, Sep 10, 2012

Can you not do that with raw data or photoshop. Try Silver Efex Pro 2. It will give you full control and the images can be very smooth and natural looking.
--
kam

 km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads