Reasons Not Rush to buy RX100

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Reasons Not Rush to buy RX100
Jun 22, 2012

A pocket camera with a 1" sensor and a f/1.7 aperture seems like a compelling combination, but I've resolved not to pre-order. In fact, I'll wait plenty long, until the hype wears off and sober judgment prevails.

Reasons:

1) Price: $650 is a lot to pay for an unseen camera, especially if it might be available for less in a few months.

2) Bad timing: mid July "availability" is possible but not certain. People who have waited for delivery of hot new cameras know that actual delivery might take additional weeks. Supplemental batteries might not be in stock at all. July and August vacation plans should not take for granted that the RX100 will arrive in time, and it makes no sense to plow $650 in discretionary money for boy toys that might better be splurged on things others in the household might enjoy. There could be a Venus vs Mars rebellion if the credit card bill arrived with a $650+ charge for what is, to the lay person, ostensibly just another P&S, but with less zoom.

3) Dust: a fair share of Sony pocket cams are prone to sensor dust. They are fixed lens devices, but not sealed to dust. Any extensive portage in a pocket means exposure to lint and other junk that winnows its way into the collapsible lens fittings, and electrostatic forces seeem to draw particles to the sensor. At least, this is what befell P93 and HX5 models I owned. Dust removal is no fun with cameras not designed to be dissected by the buyer, and to open the camera can actually increase the amount of ambient dust that ends up inside. It will be months before anyone uses an RX100 long enough, or totes it enough time in a pocket, before anyone will know if it is vulnerable to dust or not. Dust specks on photos are bad enough; specks on video are almost impossible to remedy. A hasty purchase might serve nothing.

4) Video Mode may not be especially distinctive. Being so small, and lacking a rubberized grip, the video is apt to be just as shakey as that captured with cheaper small sensor cameras with the same stabilizers. The microphones will be prone to wind, handling noise, and maybe AF racket. The video and audio won't be any worse, but not ostensibly better than what one gets with an HX9V or a ZS20.

5) Troubles with the intelligent auto mode and flash of an HX7V. After six months, the flash ceased to work (though seldom used), the IA mode failed too, and the LCD flashes a 99 error message perpetually. The thing works in other modes, but the flash cannot revive, despite attempts to reset to default settings, etc. The mere fact that the RX100 costs more offers no reassurance that the circuitry or processors are any less vulnerable.

6) Low light results may be better, but this is the brightest time of year in the north hemisphere, so why rush?

7) Obsolescence: it would not surprise me if Sony later announces an RX200 that, using a sensor crop trick, offers more effective optical zoom than the RX100, whose stills one can crop, but whose video degrades if you zoom digitally beyond the modest focal length That would be easy to introduce and make it a great travel zoom without any need to be larger. It may also include GPS, which does not matter a lot, since the feature is very pokey or faulty on many cameras.

8) The a99. No, it won't appear before September either, but it will be interesting to learn the specs, when announced. If it costs $4k, I don't want to pre-commit $650 to a camera I'm worried could end up quickly disabled or obsolete in one way or another.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,752Gear list
Like?
Re: Reasons Not Rush to buy RX100
In reply to Cy Cheze, Jun 22, 2012

If my pre-order arrives before our vacation to Disney in July then I will pay full retail. If not then pre-order will be cancelled and I will wait for better pricing.

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,027
Like?

We got married in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout
We been talkin' 'bout Jackson

Ever since the fire went out

I'm goin' to Jackson, I'm gonna mess around (yeah?)
Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson, look out Jackson town

justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Bugs and Design Flaws

Early adaptors are first in line to experience any bugs or design flaws.

If memory serves:

The first Sony NEX-5Ns came with a video click flaw.

Some Sony NEX-7s quickly overheat and shut down, when used in video mode.

And other camera manufactures have had problems too.

andywhoa
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?

I'm not purchasing the RX100 -- not yet anyway -- but this seems like a whole bunch of nonsense to me. You're reaching for a whole bunch of concocted crap and trying to convince the reader that they should be afraid of it. Your thread is like the Fox News of threads.

Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
In reply to andywhoa, Jun 22, 2012

That is why stores have return policies. I have returned many things to bestbuy and will do the same if I don't like the RX100.

If you can afford it and like the specs and form factor then buy it and see for yourself if you like it or not.

rolleiman
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?

I hear you on dust. I have an 'old' Panny ZR1 that has my fav zoom range 25-200 and weighs 160 grams. It's hopeless past 400iso, the shadows are mud and make believe, but the lens is good. But most of all, I can take the back off with one screwdriver, anywhere, flip up the sensor, and blow the dust out.

It is all well and good to use the plastic bag routine and practice good dustophobic principles, but for me the idea of a pocket cam is that it goes in your pocket. And when you have a big bellows lens on a small body like this there has to be some sort of ventilation going on. Dust will happen, eventually. And when you start to get footballs in the sky on vacation in Paraguay....

So I'll wait until the dust settles, so to speak, and the first forays into how to tear down a dusty RX show up and decide. Presumably Sony has made sensor cleaning reasonably straightforward for their service people, but DIY - who knows.

Rob Vermaas
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?

Well, it seems your glass is more than half empty.....:-)
That's a lot of baloney reasons not to buy......
Dust? Never had dust on a fixed lens camera
Availability? mine will be delivered beginning of july
money? Price is right for what it offers in my opinion......

You know there will always be an RX??? On the horizon
I will be using this "killer camera" in less then two weeks.....
Carpe diem man, life is short
Regards,
Rob

Rob Vermaas's gear list:Rob Vermaas's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +14 more
wellred
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to Rob Vermaas, Jun 22, 2012

The only good reason I can think of is if there are initial bugs that need to be ironed out. I'm waiting till at least November as I go on holiday in December so there is no rush for me. Plus by then we may know more about the LX6 and Canon S1** which could be as good if not better.

JustinL01
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?

Sorry, not 1 valid reason, who do you work for by the way? To me this is just a media troll type of post, trying to concoct reasons to scare people away from a camera that has professional reviews calling a game changer, funnily not one of your reasons are brought up as negatives in the reviews!

Mines ordered direct through Sony and I can't wait until it arrives.

JustinL01's gear list:JustinL01's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Geekapoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
In reply to JustinL01, Jun 22, 2012

I am looking for a new pocketable P+S pos ownership of an s95 and an XZ-1. While I love my HX200V (my first Sony camera), I will not be buying the RX100 until I see the new versions of the LX5 and XZ-1.....and then pull the trigger. I'd rather have a brighter zoom lens but the RX100 does have appeal.

Richard

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
bab4
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
In reply to Rob Vermaas, Jun 22, 2012

Rob Vermaas wrote:

Well, it seems your glass is more than half empty.....:-)
That's a lot of baloney reasons not to buy......

+1..

Try it.. if there are lots of bugs or flaws return it. Lame reasons best kept to yourself OP.

Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Bunch of Concocted Crap

I gotta agree with AndyWhoa above "...this seems like a whole bunch of nonsense to me. You're reaching for a whole bunch of concocted crap and trying to convince the reader that they should be afraid of it. Your thread is like the Fox News of threads. "

One of the best posts I've seen on here in weeks.

CyCheze - Original poster - should go crawl back under his rock and stick to his Coolpix 995.

I seldom visit dpreview.com these days for this exact reason. Too much hyperbole paired with lack of wit, and very little substance in a non-argumentative fashion.

Concocted crap. LMFAO.

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
In reply to andywhoa, Jun 22, 2012

LMAO!

I hope many choose not to buy the one of a kind Sony RX100, more likely the rest of us will get ours sooner then due to supply and demand.

BTW, to the OP, don't expect the excitement to even been to level off, let alone the price, until the RX100 at least one compeitor which right now is not the case.

andywhoa wrote:

I'm not purchasing the RX100 -- not yet anyway -- but this seems like a whole bunch of nonsense to me. You're reaching for a whole bunch of concocted crap and trying to convince the reader that they should be afraid of it. Your thread is like the Fox News of threads.

lolopasstrail
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
In reply to snapshot09, Jun 22, 2012

For me the biggest reason not to rush to buy is simple camera fatigue.

I'm tired of anybody who wants to have a blog gushing over how wonderful this or that new consumer product is. Suddenly we all must feel inadequate and rush to buy the newest and latest. Our images are unlikely to be any better.

We laugh at people who run out to buy the latest fad or fashion, the latest hipster shoes or haircuts. We shouldn't laugh. We are those people.

Look, we can't afford it. We can't afford to pay a few thousand every year and barely use a consumer product. We sell last year's latest thing at a nice loss, and convince ourselves we're smart and made a good deal. Meantime, our images all look the same.

So I'm taking a break. Have fun, guys. I'm sure it's a nice new toy, but let's not kid ourselves, it's just a nice new toy. I'll let my savings grow, maybe wait three or four years before I get my next new toy.

You'd be wise to do the same. First, you'll notice no difference in your images over what you have now. Better, if all of us sat back, we'd see prices fall.

Until we do that we're just silly sheep. I count myself among them, but I'm sitting this one out, boys.

Zebadee69
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
In reply to lolopasstrail, Jun 22, 2012

lolopasstrail wrote:

You'd be wise to do the same. First, you'll notice no difference in your images over what you have now. Better, if all of us sat back, we'd see prices fall.

Until we do that we're just silly sheep. I count myself among them, but I'm sitting this one out, boys.

I'll definitely notice an improvement over what I have now because I'll be taking the RX100 places I don't take my Nex-7. This includes nights out on the town, Clubs, parties, playing Golf etc etc, places I wouldn't take my Nex-7 because I CANT FIT IT IN MY POCKET!!!!! That's the reason why I'm purchasing the RX100, that fact it's the best compact/IQ available at the moment is a huge bonus

Zebadee69's gear list:Zebadee69's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
lolopasstrail
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
In reply to Zebadee69, Jun 22, 2012

Zebadee69 wrote:

lolopasstrail wrote:

I'll definitely notice an improvement over what I have now because I'll be taking the RX100 places I don't take my Nex-7. This includes nights out on the town, Clubs, parties, playing Golf etc etc, places I wouldn't take my Nex-7 because I CANT FIT IT IN MY POCKET!!!!! That's the reason why I'm purchasing the RX100, that fact it's the best compact/IQ available at the moment is a huge bonus

Zebadee, don't misunderstand me. It's fine if you want to buy a new camera, it's your money. But my comment is about the end resulting image, your comment is about carrying things. You can get your same image now by the camera you spent a small fortune on a few months ago. You choose not to, and despite all other choices rationalize a decision based on specifications, not on images.

This is not to single you out, Zebadee, and I mean no personal offense, and you are no doubt more accomplished than I am . But this is how they get inside our heads. We need a special new very expensive device for some niche little reason. I need those special new expensive shoes to go to a soiree before 8pm; the ones I have now are only good for post-8pm affaires. And they convince us this is logical, although if we talked to anyone outside our circle they would think we're nuts. We need each other on these websites. True, we are all photographers, but foremost we are Consumers.

Zebadee69
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
In reply to lolopasstrail, Jun 22, 2012

Totally agree with you to a point lolopasstrail, yes of course I could take my Nex7 to any of the locations I mentioned but I have an alternative that will make life easier. This really comes down to affordability, I'm not rich, wouldn't even call myself well off but I can afford the RX100 without having to count the pennies, despite it's price. Again, I agree, many will buy this camera because it's the next best thing, people will get into debt and sell their 3 week old cameras because they think they'll take better pictures but for me it's basically down to portability mixed with good IQ which wont disappoint now I've been using the Nex7.

Zebadee69's gear list:Zebadee69's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Tom Hoots
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Ridiculousness.

Cy Cheze wrote:
Hogwash, mostly.

A pocket camera with a 1" sensor and a f/1.7 aperture seems like a compelling combination....

It's the freaking HOLY GRAIL , for crying out loud.

1) Price: $650 is a lot to pay for an unseen camera, especially if it might be available for less in a few months.

I have no problem with the price, and it sounds likely that many of us will have one in hand within a month from this posting.

2) Bad timing....

Utterly ridiculous.

3) Dust:

Even more ridiculous. I would recommend that you never, ever buy a digital camera. Or never use one outside of an electronics factory "clean room."

4) Video Mode may not be especially distinctive.

I would recommend you visit the Youtube web site, and search for the Sony RX100. There is lots of compelling video up there already.

5) Troubles with the intelligent auto mode and flash of an HX7V.

Utter hogwash. It makes you sound like you're a troll from the Canon forum. Frankly, I will probably never use the RX100's Intelligent Auto mode or its flash unit. And you just can't judge one camera based upon whatever may or may not have happened with any other camera.

6) Low light results may be better, but this is the brightest time of year in the north hemisphere, so why rush?

Good grief! Are you joking? "Because it's the freaking HOLY GRAIL , for crying out loud!."

7) Obsolescence: it would not surprise me if Sony later announces an RX200...

More utter hogwash. Do you remember the Sony R1?

8) The a99.

The RX100 has plenty of technology that doesn't exist in any of its pocket-camera competitors, and some that doesn't even exist in Sony's NEX lineup. Among all of the ridiculous things mentioned, this is the most ridiculous. Again, you can't possibly ever buy a digital camera, since you are paralyzed with the thought that something better might come out some day.

The RX100 is essentially the camera I have been waiting for ever since I began to comprehend that larger sensors produce better image quality than smaller ones. I pre-ordered one the very minute I was able.

Tom Hoots
http://www.pbase.com/thoots
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4330317199/albums

ParietalPenguin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,733Gear list
Like?
I am the only one who . . .

resents that he called it a "boy toy"! I'm a girl and I can get one if I want!
--

Karen

ParietalPenguin's gear list:ParietalPenguin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A55 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads