Wow - HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new 5DMK3

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions
Techblast
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Wow - HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new 5DMK3
Jun 22, 2012

Way Better than I expected! Not only do you have in camera 3 Shot HDR, but you have the ability to do HDR outside the camera with the bracketed photos taken in an automatic sequence with the 5DM3. You will need a copy of Photomatix to create an HDR composite in post if you choose to create 5 -7 bracketed shots with the MK3.

Whereas the 5DMK2 allowed a set of 3 bracketed photos, the new 5DMK3 allows up to 7 bracketed photos and this is going to give this Mark3 the ability to create a different level of HDR result.

What's even better, is when you use Live View in combination with the 2 second self timer, you get the mirror and any mirror vibration issues out of the way and once the timer counts down, the camera will take ALL preset shots (2-3-5-7) in secession by motor drive and the sequence is FAST and automatic. Just make sure you have the drive set to motor drive.

So HDR is significantly improved over the 5D-Mark-2 without even using the built in 3 shot HDR feature of the new 5DMK3. I wish Canon could have provided a 5 shot option for in Camera HDR, but I love what they did. I am sure 5 shots might have slowed down the camera too much? Would be so cool if Canon would consider a "5-Shot" option for their automated in camera HDR feature.

Now if I can only figure out the idea of usage behind "multiple-exposures." This is something I have not yet explored.

PS. Once you set up a multi-shot bracketed sequence using the bracket menu, just go to REGISTER on your menu and save it as either C1, C2 or C3 and it will be there with just a twist of the dial!

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ross Murphy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow - HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new 5DMK3
In reply to Techblast, Jun 22, 2012

that's all cool, but now we will see an all new level of over done HDR images
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

Ross Murphy's gear list:Ross Murphy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Techblast
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
Re: Wow - HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new 5DMK3
In reply to Ross Murphy, Jun 22, 2012

Ross Murphy wrote:

that's all cool, but now we will see an all new level of over done HDR images
--
Image's In Light
http://rossmurphy.zenfolio.com/
http://imagesinlightnw.blogspot.com/

HDR is not over-cooked when using your camera's natural setting. Having up to 7 bracketed shots can help to define overall tones seperated by just 1/3rd f/stop. When done right, HDR allows a more 3 dimensional look and one can see into the photo. I find HDR immensely useful for real estate photography where lighting is so critical and hard to control with a single photo.

tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,804
Like?
absolutely agree
In reply to Techblast, Jun 22, 2012

I definitely agree - the HDR is a wonderful feature and can make some difficult shots easy. I just shot a quick interior series with window and room light. Using the in-camera HDR I managed to get some perfectly useful images (for my needs) that are completely natural. The generated JPG file saved me tons of work - no tripod was needed and no post-processing of multiple images - the only editing was colour balance and crop.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41822633

Great tool indeed.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160
Like?
Re: absolutely agree
In reply to tony field, Jun 24, 2012

I have a 5D2 so am restricted to the 3-exposure in-camera bracketing which I've found perfectly adequate for the limited amount of HDR that I do. I've also found the single-image tone mapping function provided by most of the HDR programs to give quite pleasing (for me at least) results.

One of the attractions of the 5DIII for me would be the extended HDR functions but I've been able to add these and more to my 5DII with the use of an Android phone running apps such as DSLR Remote. This is a superb, free app that provides all the basic Timer and Interval shutter release functions as well as comprehensive HDR control allowing sequences of up to 9 shots controlling the camera via the USB port. I've found Android apps on a mobile phone or tablet a brilliant way of extending the functions of DSLRs.

About the HDR technique generally, I like the various looks it produces but sometimes wonder why it attracts so much criticism with terms like "over-cooked", "grunge", "clown vomit" etc.

I'm not a self appointed champion of HDR but just wonder why the technique seems to get singled out more than others techniques, apparently for a supposed failure to adhere strictly to some undefined criterion of "realistic" or "natural". It's not as if there's a rule that says extending dynamic range should ONLY be used to raise shadow detail or recover details from blown highlights and go no further, although I realise that many may hold this view.

I always thought photographers (with the possible exception of photojournalists or those involved with legal, medical or phorensic photography) were image creators and were not just there to "zerox reality" to quote a phrase from someone on this forum.

HDR produces a large variety of different and engaging artistic "looks" which are, ultimately, just matters of taste. On doesn't hear the same sorts of criticisms levelled at all the stuff that goes on in advertising and commercial photography where anything and everything is legitimate in the name of creative art - especially where it can be claimed that "the look was what the client was paying for".

Just my ten cents. Thanks for reading.

Trevor

Ogjetaknight
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
In reply to sacentre, Jun 24, 2012

sacentre wrote:

I have a 5D2 so am restricted to the 3-exposure in-camera bracketing which I've found perfectly adequate for the limited amount of HDR that I do. I've also found the single-image tone mapping function provided by most of the HDR programs to give quite pleasing (for me at least) results.

One of the attractions of the 5DIII for me would be the extended HDR functions but I've been able to add these and more to my 5DII with the use of an Android phone running apps such as DSLR Remote. This is a superb, free app that provides all the basic Timer and Interval shutter release functions as well as comprehensive HDR control allowing sequences of up to 9 shots controlling the camera via the USB port. I've found Android apps on a mobile phone or tablet a brilliant way of extending the functions of DSLRs.

About the HDR technique generally, I like the various looks it produces but sometimes wonder why it attracts so much criticism with terms like "over-cooked", "grunge", "clown vomit" etc.

I'm not a self appointed champion of HDR but just wonder why the technique seems to get singled out more than others techniques, apparently for a supposed failure to adhere strictly to some undefined criterion of "realistic" or "natural". It's not as if there's a rule that says extending dynamic range should ONLY be used to raise shadow detail or recover details from blown highlights and go no further, although I realise that many may hold this view.

I always thought photographers (with the possible exception of photojournalists or those involved with legal, medical or phorensic photography) were image creators and were not just there to "zerox reality" to quote a phrase from someone on this forum.

HDR produces a large variety of different and engaging artistic "looks" which are, ultimately, just matters of taste. On doesn't hear the same sorts of criticisms levelled at all the stuff that goes on in advertising and commercial photography where anything and everything is legitimate in the name of creative art - especially where it can be claimed that "the look was what the client was paying for".

Trevor

Great example, looks natural to me. It makes me want to learn more about HDR photography. Im supprised you can do that with just 3 exposures. Great job

I think some of the criticism about HDR is due to the fact that many of the pictures have a very "flat" look to them, a lack of contrast, no real highlights and no real shadows. This doesnt seem to be the case with your picture though, while it isn't the most intresting composition or subject matter I've ever seen, for the purpose of making your point it does a good job.

As far as negative criticism about your art or the technique you choose to employ, take it with a grain of salt, do what inspires you and you will do well.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

sacentre
Senior MemberPosts: 1,160
Like?
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Jun 24, 2012

Thank you for the kind words. Actually, I should have mentioned that this image was done with just a single, tone mapped RAW file so it's really a "faux HDR shot".

Trevor

Ogjetaknight wrote:

sacentre wrote:

Trevor

Great example, looks natural to me. It makes me want to learn more about HDR photography. Im supprised you can do that with just 3 exposures. Great job

I think some of the criticism about HDR is due to the fact that many of the pictures have a very "flat" look to them, a lack of contrast, no real highlights and no real shadows. This doesnt seem to be the case with your picture though, while it isn't the most intresting composition or subject matter I've ever seen, for the purpose of making your point it does a good job.

As far as negative criticism about your art or the technique you choose to employ, take it with a grain of salt, do what inspires you and you will do well.

Thanks, keep up the good work!

oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new DPP too
In reply to Techblast, Jun 24, 2012

EOS 5D, Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye, single shot tonemapping in DPP starting from Neutral picture style, Linear:

The difficult part is getting the white balance right before going in HDR.
more examples on http://www.lightningwizard.com/index.php?type=recent
--
Weather & Photography
http://www.lightningwizard.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightningwizard

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
xerojay
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Re: HDR is Incredible and Versatile in the new DPP too
In reply to oscarvdvelde, Jun 24, 2012

THIS is an INCREDIBLE image!
Great work!!

oscarvdvelde wrote:

EOS 5D, Samyang 8mm f3.5 fisheye, single shot tonemapping in DPP starting from Neutral picture style, Linear:

Ogjetaknight
Like?
In reply to sacentre, Jun 24, 2012

Very good

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to xerojay, Jun 24, 2012

Luv this one too! If only the sun would come out to play in the rain today...sigh. Rain and more darkness today...sigh.

xerojay wrote:
THIS is an INCREDIBLE image!
Great work!!

oscarvdvelde wrote:

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Jaims
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?

Wow, spectacular pictures!

Now, one question if you don't mind; what is 'single shot tonemapping in DPP'? I don't seem to recall such a tool within DPP, although I am not completely familiar to the lasts versions...

TIA and great shots again!

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
oscarvdvelde
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jaims, Jun 24, 2012

Jaims wrote:

Now, one question if you don't mind; what is 'single shot tonemapping in DPP'? I don't seem to recall such a tool within DPP, although I am not completely familiar to the lasts versions...

Thank you!

The function is called HDR, available in DPP 3.11.26 and later, but since I used only one image instead of several differently exposed images, the dynamic range isn't really increased. So all it does is tonemapping, but it produces results not achievable with the usual contrast sliders. Note that the choice of picture style matters, while using the linear curve (tickbox) can make a large difference.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +1 more
Jaims
Senior MemberPosts: 2,069Gear list
Like?

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Jaims wrote:

Thank you!

Most welcome. These pictures are just great (specially #2 as some others liked too).
And thanks for the hint, gotta try this and see what happens :-).

I thought that that function was reserved for 3+ pictures in order to blend them together, never occured to me to try it with just 1 pic

Best

The function is called HDR, available in DPP 3.11.26 and later, but since I used only one image instead of several differently exposed images, the dynamic range isn't really increased. So all it does is tonemapping, but it produces results not achievable with the usual contrast sliders. Note that the choice of picture style matters, while using the linear curve (tickbox) can make a large difference.

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
Ogjetaknight
Like?

oscarvdvelde wrote:

Jaims wrote:

Thank you!

I'm definatly going to have to give this new feature a try, cool photos.:)

SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Jun 25, 2012

Yes it's a very useful tool, here is one I took the other day -3 0 +3 art vivid

also give the multiple exposure feature a try very cool feature;)
--
http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/spartanwarrior

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Jun 25, 2012

SpartanWarrior wrote:

--

Nice shot!

Did you use an ND filter to freeze the water?

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Jun 25, 2012

Thanks, no I used a polarizer filter;)

birdbrain wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

--

Nice shot!

Did you use an ND filter to freeze the water?

-- hide signature --

Phil

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the reply most helpful (nt)
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Jun 25, 2012
-- hide signature --

Phil

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads