Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
Re: Unknown Pentax
In reply to Heie2, Jun 24, 2012

Heie2 wrote:

The D7000 is a great camera, but it's simply not as good as the K-5. Close, but not there.

If that's the case, then what does it say about the K30 vs the D7000? If I understand correctly, the K1 sensor is considered superior to the one in the K5, & it is used now in the K30.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 487Gear list
Like?
Re: Unknown Pentax
In reply to The Skipper, Jun 24, 2012

The Skipper wrote:

Heie2 wrote:

The D7000 is a great camera, but it's simply not as good as the K-5. Close, but not there.

If that's the case, then what does it say about the K30 vs the D7000? If I understand correctly, the K1 sensor is considered superior to the one in the K5, & it is used now in the K30.

First, it's the K-01. We are all waiting on the K1 FF

And I haven't used the K01, and the k30 hasn't been released yet, but my understanding is that the K-5 has better noise control at super high ISO's, however between 100-800, the K-01 seems to have a very slight edge? I can't confirm that.

And yes, I have also heard they are different sensors, but I have also heard they are the same sensor with further modifications on the newer K-01/K30's.

And the K-30, like I said, is still not released (as far as I know - I could be wrong). But it will surely have better IQ than the D7000 if the test images being released of the sample cameras given out to testers/bloggers/reviewers (albeit very few) are indicative of it's potential.

The K30 is an EXTREMELY exciting camera, and while I won't be getting it because I have the K-5, it is indicative of how serious Pentax is to take on Canikon with it's continued promise of superior offerings/value for the price. And it gives some insight into how much better the K-5 replacement will be, which I am at the edge of my seat waiting for

-Heie

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to..

Heie2 wrote:

jonikon wrote:

I'm not sure who you are asking the question of, but here are some of my reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5.

• Pentax K5 body was $200 more at release than the Nikon D7000 body only.

And now it can be bought new for $800 body only. The D7000 can't even compete with that. But agreed, at launch it was more expensive.
Heie

I think the huge price drop of the Pentax K5 says it all. According to you, the Pentax K5 has lost $800, or half it's value since it's introduction in the fall of 2010 , while the Nikon D7000 is still holding near it's original introduction price of $1200. I feel sorry for those Pentax people who paid the the exorbitant $1600 for a K5 body that can now be had for $800 new (according to you). But that's the typical fate for those that choose to buy into Pentax, that is a company struggling to keep it's market share above 4%, and it's financial head above water.

• Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Heie2
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Jun 24, 2012

jonikon wrote:

Heie2 wrote:

jonikon wrote:

I'm not sure who you are asking the question of, but here are some of my reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5.

• Pentax K5 body was $200 more at release than the Nikon D7000 body only.

And now it can be bought new for $800 body only. The D7000 can't even compete with that. But agreed, at launch it was more expensive.
Heie

I think the huge price drop of the Pentax K5 says it all. According to you, the Pentax K5 has lost $800, or half it's value since it's introduction in the fall of 2010 , while the Nikon D7000 is still holding near it's original introduction price of $1200. I feel sorry for those Pentax people who paid the the exorbitant $1600 for a K5 body that can now be had for $800 new (according to you). But that's the typical fate for those that choose to buy into Pentax, that is a company struggling to keep it's market share above 4%, and it's financial head above water.

• Jon

Utter nonsense and a feeble attempt to discredit the K-5's superiority. Buyer's remorse on your behalf, perhaps.

Regardless, don't slander such a high quality product - it's on the verge of being discontinued (if it hasn't already - no official announcement of that yet) and stores are emptying their shelves to make room for it's upcoming replacement. That is common practice throughout the world's economics. You buy a car, and it's immediately $1000's of dollars less the minute you drive it out of the dealership.

Your bias is disgusting. I have no problems admitting strengths of any other system despite the fact that I am pro-Pentax. But your inability to accept and admit fact is disheartening and discredits any offerings you may have.

And instead you feebly attempt to discredit my entire post of counters to your falsehoods and misconceptions with a contortion of simple market economics. Sophomoric at best.

Respectfully,
Heie

Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,729
Like?
Re: I don't think that's what killed it
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Jun 24, 2012

I'm using both Olympus and Canon DSLR systems. Olympus DSLR cameras offer a lot of benefits, which is why they had quite a number of people interested in their equipment for years and years. In my opinion, what "killed" Olympus 4/3rds gear, was Olympus. They decided to stop making them other than their flagship model, which was the E-5. They abandoned the E-XX and E-XXX models in favor of their PENs. I thought the PENs were inadequate, so I starting using Canon also. Now, with the E-M5, I think that is more of an improvement. We'll have to watch and see what Olympus does in the future. But people should know...the 4/3rds cameras and Zuiko lenses are really special. You all would have had to used them to know.

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?

Heie2 wrote:

• Nikon D7000 has better auto focus, with 39 point. Pentax, worse AF with only 11 points.

Nikon is indeed faster, but the K-5 has been proven just as, if not more   accurate .

rubbish

K5 AF is every bit AF problematic as 7D, and the 'decent' lens choices are more limited

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
mujana
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952Gear list
Like?
Jonikon
In reply to jonikon, Jun 24, 2012

"Nikon D7000 has a metal shell, but Pentax K5 is plastic. I prefer metal"(your statement); not true. I think the K5 is sturdier than the D7000 and metal. No plastic there....so if you prefer metal, you should get the Pentax.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Heie2
Like?
In reply to Rriley, Jun 24, 2012

Rriley wrote:

Heie2 wrote:

• Nikon D7000 has better auto focus, with 39 point. Pentax, worse AF with only 11 points.

Nikon is indeed faster, but the K-5 has been proven just as, if not more   accurate .

rubbish

K5 AF is every bit AF problematic as 7D, and the 'decent' lens choices are more limited

If "rubbish" is synonymous with "true," then yes, I agree with you. The D7000 is faster, there's not denying it. But to claim the D7000 is more accurate is just fanboyism - please deal with the facts instead of just discrediting legitimate first-hand research made by others with a one word dismissal.

-- hide signature --

Riley

Heie2
Like?
Re: Jonikon
In reply to mujana, Jun 24, 2012

mujana wrote:

"Nikon D7000 has a metal shell, but Pentax K5 is plastic. I prefer metal"(your statement); not true. I think the K5 is sturdier than the D7000 and metal. No plastic there....so if you prefer metal, you should get the Pentax.

The K-5 is irrefutably more sturdy and durable than the D7000 body. That body is an all-metal chasis.

The D7000 can claim nothing of the sort, other than magnesium alloy "components."

Mujana is right - if build quality is a priority, then once again, just another reason the K-5 is the APS-C leader.

-Heie

WilliamDSLR
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 24, 2012

Thanks for posting this thread up! I too, am for upgrading from my Olympus, so it was great to read some peoples advice!!
--
http://bestphotographersintoronto.com/

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't think that's what killed it
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Jun 25, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

I rather think that four-thirds was killed because it didn't offer any benefits. The cameras and lenses were as big as APS-C and had a bit less quality and lots less lenses. Micro-four thirds at least delivers on the promise of a smaller camera with pretty good quality.

Which is why micro43 essentially killed 4/3. That, and the apparant total lack of interest from Olympus.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
Baladam
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Don't move...
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 25, 2012

...unless you really move towards a significantly better or different camera (like D800 , D3x, 5D MK2 or 3 etc.) IMHO !

When I read thru the posts and saw about the magnesium alloy body, all-weather resistance, image stabilization ... none of the cameras you aimed at are any better than E3 or E5.
We can add up effective sensor cleaning as well in favour of Olympus.

So, what remains in other's favor : hi ISO , higher FPS , higher mpx. I don't know how is your lens stock, and relative lens cost when you changed to D60 or 7D ?

So, I think it is worthwhile for waiting for the promised E-7 till the end of this year, if you don't like to go to the m4/3 way even if it seems to cover all these three criteria (ISO , FPS and Mpx)

I think that it is better to write down your need and expectations from a camera honestly on a paper, and then make a system change if absolutely needed.

I would lash on D800 without hesitation if I needed it absolutely, but for the type of photography that I am doing at this moment, I don't need anything more than my E-3 (ISO 800, 5 fps , 10mpx, 35-100mm f2 , IBIS) , and I patiently wait for the E-7.

But, yes, I have many 4/3 lenses , and generally speaking I think that they are sharper and better weather-sealed than their counterparts that you'll use on D60 of 7D. But you spoke more about bodies rather than lenses.

And, if you want always the latest model and features, there is nothing like a so-called future-proof camera , be it APS-C or FF.

Good luck on yr decison !

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heie2, Jun 25, 2012

Heie2 wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Heie2 wrote:

rubbish

If "rubbish" is synonymous with "true," then yes, I agree with you. The D7000 is faster, there's not denying it.

well I just did, a number of Pentax lenses have been problematic without solution, and AF is NOT one of K5's strengths. Nikon OTOH has succeeded to displace other system manufacturers with its capability in AF

But to claim the D7000 is more accurate is just fanboyism -

I dont have any Nikon equipment, Im an Olympus Ex, Panasonic GH2 and Canon FF user. If that makes me a 'fanboy' then the standards need review. My statements are true and correct,
............................AF is not one of K5's strengths.

please deal with the facts instead of just discrediting legitimate first-hand research made by others with a one word dismissal.

who should care what you think ?

-- hide signature --

Riley

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,832
Like?
I replaced my E3 with an EM5
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 25, 2012

It isn't just better, it's a quantum leap better. Where the E3 really fell short: higher ISO's, RAW's that can be pushed in PP, the EM5 excels. You can pull an amazing amount of detail out of shadows now, can use auto ISO without worrying about color variation or increased noise across ISO's, shoot at 6400 without cringing at what the results look like, and blown highlights are now the exception rather than the rule.

Add in the remarkably small primes they're adding (the 45 1.8 is about as long as a 35mm film can, and not much thicker than one), and it's a little powerhouse. The one thing I was worried about, replacing the OVF with an EVF, did not turn out to be of any concern. The EM5's EVF is sharp enough to judge MF, blackout during shots is nonexistant, doesn't smear or jitter when panning, and the half second 'instant chimp' is delightful - just long enough to see if you blew anything. And you can turn that off, or make it longer.

Oh, and this new IBIS really works. I'm shooting my 50-200 at 200 and 1/60, a disasterous combination on the E3. On the EM5, the shots are motion blur free. Not just a few, every shot.

This is where they are going, where they should have gone in the first place. This is the body that the better ZD's deserved, and didn't have until now.

Since I tend to prefer static subjects, I don't mind the slower (1-2 second) AF of my better ZD's on the EM5 body. The native M43 glass, especially the new fast primes, have lightning fast AF on the EM5 body. Even the kit 12-50 zoom is a speedy focuser.

Supposedly, they will fix the slow ZD AF situation in the next OMD body. In the meantime, I find this to be a near perfect solution: tiny when I want it, or add the battery grip and it handles well with the fast ZD zooms.

bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon97, Jul 8, 2012

I own a E5 with 50mm macro, 35-100, 14-35 and a 7-14. I own 2 pocket wizards, 4 Olympus flashes and soft boxes with flash units.. Ive done indoor outdoor photography portrait landscape macro. Ive done low light photography, outdoor flash photography, indoor portrait photography etc etc you get my drift----If you own a modern camera system and know how it works inside and out --when you take a pic there is no worry that your equipment wont perform only the excitement of producing that next fantastic image. For me Olympus equipment definitely rocks my boat. So why in the world would I want to switch?????

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Jul 9, 2012

jonikon wrote:

• Jon

Yet the E-5 hasn't dropped in price hardly at all . Zuiko lenses are really nice.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979Gear list
Like?
In reply to Braxton7, Jul 9, 2012

Jonikon, I'm glad you found a suitable camera in the Nikon. They are excellent, and while some of your beliefs do not match my beliefs that's OK. I agree with others that a couple of your reasons do not quite line up with the facts as we see them, but you and I are happy with our Nikon and Pentax gear & that's the important thing.

And for Cliff, sorry we digressed in ways that were not of much help to you. I wish the EM-5 could take your old lenses natively, but you might consider whether adapting them to the micro format would suit you. If weather resistance and size are important to you, the EM-5 and Pentax models are the best options - but all options are good ones, only remorse can change that. You can control how often you look over your shoulder later, and I don't recommend it. Sony lost me two years ago by introducing irrelevant models for my 'needs'; while their products are decent and innovative they aren't for me, and I don't spend time reliving my choices. Enjoy the hunt for new gear, and enjoy your final choice!
--
Jim in Oregon -- K5 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix G1 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
In reply to bofo777, Jul 9, 2012

bofo777 wrote:

For me Olympus equipment definitely rocks my boat. So why in the world would I want to switch?????

I have the Oly E-PL2, and it is easily the worst camera I have ever owned (and in the 33 years that I have been in photography, I have owned a lot, including the OM-1 which I liked).

The AF is fast but has a lower hit rate than I find acceptable (IMO it sacrificed focus accuracy for speed).

Face detection is next to useless, it has a hit rate of about 50%. In some cases, I have to half-press the shutter button a dozen times before it finds the faces. This was a shock to me, because even my cheap (& old) SD-870IS has a hit rate of over 90%. When I tried the D800 recently, the face detection was perfect even with its very shallow DOF. I just assumed it is a commodity feature that works.

Personally I would not buy the camera again because of the above 2 issues. Improperly exposed photos can be compensated for in PP, but out of focus images are for the garbage bin.

The IBIS works great when it is needed. However, when I shoot in the 1/80 to 1/125 range, the photos sometimes look slightly fuzzy. Originally I thought it was me, but it goes away if I switch off IBIS. I have never owned a camera where I have to manually turn on/off the IBIS (it is absurd to have to keep an eye on whether I am in the shutter speed 'zone' ... by the time you turn on or off the IBIS, the shot is gone, unless I dedicate one of the valuable buttons to it).

This was something that I just discovered (I originally thought this did not affect my camera).

Anyways, I am getting rid of this camera in the next week or so. When one buys a camera, one invests lots of time becoming familiar with it. In my case, it was time wasted.

I cannot say that I will never again buy another Olympus, but if I do, it will have to be something special & from a vendor with a very liberal return policy.

LisaGoodgame
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jul 9, 2012

I had an Olympus E-3. Ended up getting a Nikon d90 and now waiting for my D800 (very Impatiently) lol I have to admit i don't regret swapping to nikon at all. Do it!

Berghof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jul 10, 2012

and I shoot my new PEN Olympus nowadays more than any other camera at my disposal, the PEN does a great job and it just fits into my windbreaker pocket, it's light and very capable, I love my new PEN camera
--
Berghof G.C.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads