Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions
Cliff Horner
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon
Jun 22, 2012

Hi, I am after some advice on the following :-

I have been shooting with an Olympus E3 for the past few years after upgrading from the E1. I am not sure where the 4/3's system is going so I have decided to change system. I have been looking at Canon and Nikon although slightly favouring Canon.

I have been looking at the 7D and also the 60D. Not sure if the 60D would be a backwards step from the E3 though. Is anyone familiar with all these cameras to offer any advice?

Also seen a few things mentioned about problems with the 7D focusing?

Thanks for any advice.
Cliff

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,347Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 22, 2012

I'm actually surprised at the good performance of the new 16mp 4/3rds sensor. This system is alive and well. What more are you needing from your current kit?

I find a lot of people who jump around cameras and systems are just bored and think new gear will spark new life into their hobby. It may for a little while, but they soon get bored again.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Simon97, Jun 22, 2012

Simon97 wrote:

I'm actually surprised at the good performance of the new 16mp 4/3rds sensor. This system is alive and well. What more are you needing from your current kit?

He's a 4/3 DSLR user not a micro 4/3 user. That's the difference, whilst you can use the 4.3 lenses with an adaptor..they're not optimal (AF performance)

The OM-D is not a DSLR replacement to many (it has a poor quality EVF not an OVF)

In the same way Sony stopped making DSLR's and now make light sucking SLT models with an EVF.

Neither company makes real DSLR's anymore unless you count the E-5 which was dated before it even hit the shelves.

ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
In reply to Simon97, Jun 22, 2012

What are you missing with the E-3?

It's best to look at what you do and see if these cameras have features that your current system doesn't have, but you need.

the Canon 60D has...

• better noise performance for low light work

• higher MP sensor for more detail and cropping ability

• more lenses to chose from

• faster AF system

the 7D has all these advantages and more, with a better AF system, better build quality, and high FPS. I think it's a bit dated though, and would worry a newer version will be coming out shortly. Sadly the same goes for the 60D, it may be updated sometime this year.

If your a hobbyist, the micro 4/3 system might be just fine. There's some good glass out there and they get the job done, just in a smaller package. If you're starting to become a more serious photographer, a DSLR will offer a more robust build and more lenses/accessories that you can almost always keep and use when you upgrade your camera body.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Cliff Horner
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to ptl-2010, Jun 22, 2012

Thanks for the reply Paul,

I am looking for two things really, mainly better noise performance for low light work and also faster AF as I am getting in to shooting motorbike racing.

I think both the 60D and 7D are better than my E3 and will do what I want. I am slightly swayed towards the 7D for the focusing control it appears to have.

I realise both are rumoured to be replaced later this year, but as with everything you have to buy at some point, should I wait or not....either way the Canons will be better than what I have!

ptl-2010 wrote:

What are you missing with the E-3?

It's best to look at what you do and see if these cameras have features that your current system doesn't have, but you need.

the Canon 60D has...

• better noise performance for low light work

• higher MP sensor for more detail and cropping ability

• more lenses to chose from

• faster AF system

the 7D has all these advantages and more, with a better AF system, better build quality, and high FPS. I think it's a bit dated though, and would worry a newer version will be coming out shortly. Sadly the same goes for the 60D, it may be updated sometime this year.

If your a hobbyist, the micro 4/3 system might be just fine. There's some good glass out there and they get the job done, just in a smaller package. If you're starting to become a more serious photographer, a DSLR will offer a more robust build and more lenses/accessories that you can almost always keep and use when you upgrade your camera body.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,048Gear list
Like?
But if that sensor is put into E-7 later this year?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, Jun 22, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

He's a 4/3 DSLR user not a micro 4/3 user.

So was I ("was" is the key word)

The OM-D is not a DSLR replacement to many (it has a poor quality EVF not an OVF)

Poor?

Neither company makes real DSLR's anymore unless you count the E-5

And what about the E-7 later this year?

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
T3
T3
Forum ProPosts: 17,666
Like?

Cliff Horner wrote:

Thanks for the reply Paul,

I am looking for two things really, mainly better noise performance for low light work and also faster AF as I am getting in to shooting motorbike racing.

I think both the 60D and 7D are better than my E3 and will do what I want. I am slightly swayed towards the 7D for the focusing control it appears to have.

I realise both are rumoured to be replaced later this year, but as with everything you have to buy at some point, should I wait or not....either way the Canons will be better than what I have!

If you're into high-speed fast-action photography like motorbike racing, you might as well go for a 7D. It's designed more for that kind of photography. On the other hand, if you said that you don't do any fast action photography, or don't do it very often, then I would say save some money and go for a 60D.

Shotted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411
Like?

Cliff Horner wrote:

-Paul

I too had/have an E-3, often for sport including motorcycle racing, and was looking at a 7D for better AF, noise etc. I was advised by someone with a clutch of Canon bodies, including the 7D, but was pointed to the 1DIII. I bought a mint used one for the same price as an E-5, relatively inexpensive 70-200F4ISL and 400mmF5.6L lenses, and wish I had made the move years ago. I love every image that comes out of it, and use it (with shorter lenses) for everything now. The performance in any light with these modest aperture lenses is better than my E-3 with SHQ F2 lenses, and IQ is better too. The body is great quality and little larger than the E-3 with grip.

I noticed a good example of bike racing using the 1DIII on a Canon forum yesterday-

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=333015&page=409

Cheers,
Don

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047Gear list
Like?
In reply to T3, Jun 22, 2012

T3 wrote:

If you're into high-speed fast-action photography like motorbike racing, you might as well go for a 7D. It's designed more for that kind of photography. On the other hand, if you said that you don't do any fast action photography, or don't do it very often, then I would say save some money and go for a 60D.

I tend to agree, although the 60D can certainly handle fast action. It's just not the best. I'd say the 7D is the Corvette and the 60D is the Camaro. Still fast, but not the king.

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,129
Like?
Consider Canon 4Ti (650D)

This camera is just coming out so finding reviews isn't easy, but I did locate this one of the new Canon 4Ti also called 650D in Europe. I suspect this camera will do it all for your and save you some bucks: [Watch the video embedded into the site]

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-650d-1083870/review

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 23, 2012

It comes down to personal choice. Canon and Nikon make the best DSLRs available and you can't go wrong with either brand. I switched from the Sony (a700) to Nikon (D7000) in the fall of 2010 because I didn't like the direction Sony was going with their SLTs and EVF Alpha cameras and there was never an upgrade to the a700, so I jumped, and have been very glad I did.

I considered Canon, but chose Nikon when the D7000 was released because it "ticked all the right boxes" and was exactly what I was looking for in a DSLR, including the price. The Canon 7D seemed like overkill for my needs and the 60D was inadequate, and a step down from the D7000, so it was an easy decision to go with Nikon.

After owning and using the D7000 extensively for the last year and a half, I am still thrilled with both the design and handling of the camera and the image quality it is capable of producing. If I sound like a "fanboy", so be it, because that's the way I feel about the D7000. They say that a particular camera will not make you a better photographer, but that's rubbish, if your current camera is holding you back. I feel the D7000 has made me a better photographer.

Here's a few shots taken with my D7000 in RAW mode and processed with either LR3 or Nikon's own ViewNX3, so you can judge for yourself.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to..
In reply to jonikon, Jun 23, 2012

jonikon wrote:

... I switched from the Sony (a700) to Nikon (D7000) in the fall of 2010 because I didn't like the direction Sony was going with their SLTs and EVF Alpha cameras and there was never an upgrade to the a700, so I jumped, and have been very glad I did.

Very similar story here, but I went to Pentax - back to Pentax actually, it was my pre-digital brand. I too am happy with my decision, and will toss out the unspoken question: why not a K-5? Similar to your Oly with weather seals and sensor-IS, and reviewers gave it very high marks. Definitely a personal choice, and CaNi cameras will most certainly do the job.. but despite all the comments Pentax isn't dead yet and Ricoh wants it to thrive.
--
Jim in Oregon -- K5 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix G1 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923
Like?

You should be considering the NEX 7 for a small system, or a D90 (or similar with built in focus drive), if a larger camera would suit you.

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?

Cliff Horner wrote:

Hi, I am after some advice on the following :-

I have been shooting with an Olympus E3 for the past few years after upgrading from the E1. I am not sure where the 4/3's system is going so I have decided to change system. I have been looking at Canon and Nikon although slightly favouring Canon.

I have been looking at the 7D and also the 60D. Not sure if the 60D would be a backwards step from the E3 though. Is anyone familiar with all these cameras to offer any advice?

Also seen a few things mentioned about problems with the 7D focusing?

yup

Thanks for any advice.
Cliff

fast AF is mission critical
updated sensor desirable

forget 60D AF is less than 7D
7D has too many reported AF issues which makes it sound like a risk

D7000 isnt perfect either although note D300s has has better AF than any of them and better ergonomics than most (individuality plays a part)

just to make it harder, I would think D300s in particular and 7D 'perhaps' are not too far from replacement
check respective forums on that matter.

outside of all that D7000

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,796Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimrpdx, Jun 24, 2012

jimrpdx wrote:

jonikon wrote:

... I switched from the Sony (a700) to Nikon (D7000) in the fall of 2010 because I didn't like the direction Sony was going with their SLTs and EVF Alpha cameras and there was never an upgrade to the a700, so I jumped, and have been very glad I did.

Very similar story here, but I went to Pentax - back to Pentax actually, it was my pre-digital brand. I too am happy with my decision, and will toss out the unspoken question: why not a K-5? Similar to your Oly with weather seals and sensor-IS, and reviewers gave it very high marks. Definitely a personal choice, and CaNi cameras will most certainly do the job.. but despite all the comments Pentax isn't dead yet and Ricoh wants it to thrive.
--
Jim in Oregon -- K5 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix G1 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

I'm not sure who you are asking the question of, but here are some of my reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5.

• Pentax K5 body was $200 more at realease than the Nikon D7000 body only.

• Nikon D7000 has better auto focus, with 39 point. Pentax, worse AF with only 11 points.

• Nikon's flash system is far superior to Pentax flash system (which is dated).

• Nikon's in-lens image stabilization is superior to Pentax's in-body IS, especially at longer focal lengths, where I need it most.

• Nikon lenses are of better optical quality and usually much less expensive than comparable Pentax lenses.

• Nikon D7000 has a metal shell, but Pentax K5 is plastic. I prefer metal.

• I prefer Nikon's implementation of Auto ISO to Pentax's because I can set the minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO. K5 won't allow that.

• 5 year warranty on Nikon lenses. 1 year on Pentax lenses, (which has a poor reputation for lens quality control, especially the motors.)

• Not as many third party lenses options available for Pentax as there are for Nikon. For example. Tamron and Tokina do not make lenses for Pentax and Sigma doses not make all of their lenses in a Pentax K mount.

• Nikon system support and product availability is far better than Pentax in the US. I can walk into any camera store here and get a spare battery or a lens for a Nikon DSLR. Not true for Pentax. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Pentax DSLR in a store here in the US.

• I can rent any Nikon lens locally for very reasonable prices, which is great for special events like weddings. I can't do this with Pentax lenses. I would have to buy them, and I don't have $2000+ lying around for a 70-200 f2.8 lens right now.

• Poor market and resale value for Pentax lenses and cameras in my area.

• Many local private sellers of used Nikon lenses and equipment, often at bargain prices. Not so for Pentax.

• Pentax's has been sold twice in six years and have very low market share percentage. I just don't trust that Pentax will still be making DSLRs in five years. I do expect Nikon to be making DSLRs for a very long time though.

That's not all the reasons I chose the D7000 over the Pentax K5, but it's enough, IMO.

Best regards,
Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,067Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cliff Horner, Jun 24, 2012

Cliff Horner wrote:

Even though Olympus will not admit it, four-thirds is pretty much dead. It was killed (ironically) by micro-four-thirds.

The lastest generation of micro43 cameras are in fact, pretty good. They still lack PDAF, which is where Canon or Nikon DSLRs shine.

You might consider switching to micro43, if blazing AF is not a must have item, otherwise go with a true DSLR. But having a small micro43 camera as your point and shoot is also not a bad idea.

You can use your four-third lenses on micro43 bodies with an adapter, so you would not need to immediately also invest in micro43 lenses.

I have the Panasonic GX1 and Nikon FF DSLRs. Great combination.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,842Gear list
Like?
I don't think that's what killed it
In reply to GodSpeaks, Jun 24, 2012

GodSpeaks wrote:

Even though Olympus will not admit it, four-thirds is pretty much dead. It was killed (ironically) by micro-four-thirds.

I rather think that four-thirds was killed because it didn't offer any benefits. The cameras and lenses were as big as APS-C and had a bit less quality and lots less lenses. Micro-four thirds at least delivers on the promise of a smaller camera with pretty good quality.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonikon, Jun 24, 2012

jonikon wrote:

I'm not sure who you are asking the question of, but here are some of my reasons I chose the Nikon D7000 over the Pentax K5.

• Pentax K5 body was $200 more at realease than the Nikon D7000 body only.

And now it can be bought new for $800 body only. The D7000 can't even compete with that. But agreed, at launch it was more expensive.

• Nikon D7000 has better auto focus, with 39 point. Pentax, worse AF with only 11 points.

Nikon is indeed faster, but the K-5 has been proven just as, if not more   accurate .

• Nikon's flash system is far superior to Pentax flash system (which is dated).

Yes, it is, but if you don't NEED several thousand dollars in flash systems for VERY specific reasons, then it is just as good for the ordinary user. This is a fact.

• Nikon's in-lens image stabilization is superior to Pentax's in-body IS, especially at longer focal lengths, where I need it most.

They are about the same, but the in body is better because it works on EVERY lens, AND keeps the lens size and cost down (for relatively same lenses). Mount a 1950's era manual lens on a Pentax and viola - it's stabilized!

• Nikon lenses are of better optical quality and usually much less expensive than comparable Pentax lenses.

This is absolute garbage. The Limited line of lenses are extremely well made, optically and build, and especially the "Three Princesses" - the 31mm/43mm/77mm FA Limiteds which are considered by many to be some of the best lenses EVER MADE, including the likes of Zeiss.

• Nikon D7000 has a metal shell, but Pentax K5 is plastic. I prefer metal.

Actually, this is the EXACT OPPOSITE. The D7000 has the magneisum components, while the ENTIRE BODY of the K5 is magnesium alloy. It has better sealing and the other part of the sealing is the lens - Nikon can't even compete with Pentax's line of affordable sealed lenses, started at less than $150. Nikon's sealed lenses are extremely expensive. Not to mention massive.

• I prefer Nikon's implementation of Auto ISO to Pentax's because I can set the minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO. K5 won't allow that. That is what Pentax TAv mode allows - you set the shutter and aperture, and it does auto ISO. This is Unique to Pentax.

• 5 year warranty on Nikon lenses. 1 year on Pentax lenses, (which has a poor reputation for lens quality control, especially the motors.)

Yes, the warranty suffers, but I can attest that the motor issue is more or less and issue of the past. I have the DA* 16-50, the DA* 50-135, and the DA* 60-250, all with the SDM motor that is complained about, and I have never had an issue. It's mostly the voiced minority giving the majority's issue free lenses a bad rap. Nikon is not without issues either.

• Not as many third party lenses options available for Pentax as there are for Nikon. For example. Tamron and Tokina do not make lenses for Pentax and Sigma doses not make all of their lenses in a Pentax K mount.

• Nikon system support and product availability is far better than Pentax in the US. I can walk into any camera store here and get a spare battery or a lens for a Nikon DSLR. Not true for Pentax. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a Pentax DSLR in a store here in the US.

This is an issue, I admit.

• I can rent any Nikon lens locally for very reasonable prices, which is great for special events like weddings. I can't do this with Pentax lenses. I would have to buy them, and I don't have $2000+ lying around for a 70-200 f2.8 lens right now.

Same.

• Poor market and resale value for Pentax lenses and cameras in my area.

Online is the best to go. pentaxforums.com has a very alive marketplace.

• Many local private sellers of used Nikon lenses and equipment, often at bargain prices. Not so for Pentax.

Again, Pentax is not as widely distributed. A price you have to pay for quality for the price.

• Pentax's has been sold twice in six years and have very low market share percentage. I just don't trust that Pentax will still be making DSLRs in five years. I do expect Nikon to be making DSLRs for a very long time though.

The fact is that they make the best APS-C DSLR's. This is irrifutable. And now with the K-30? Pentax is not playing around anymore.

That's not all the reasons I chose the D7000 over the Pentax K5, but it's enough, IMO.

Best regards,
Jon

The Pentax K-5 is the best APS-C camera ever made, and if you go with the K-5, you will learn why yourself. Do not let the misinformed misdirect you. The D7000 is a great camera, but it's bigger than the K-5, the Nikon lenses are all bigger and at times more expensive (especially the high end ones), and no one on earth makes primes like Pentax. Yes the lens line up is not as vast as Canon or Nikon, but here's the thing - do you NEED SUPER telephoto? Sigma makes the 500 f/4.5 in Pentax mount), so that's covered. Do you NEED super wide? Sigma makes the 8-16, which no other brand does, in Pentax mount. Do you NEED weather resistance? Well no other brand compared. And now that you can get the K-5 for $800 new? Any other decision would be quite foolish, and this is fact, not opinion.

Heie

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
Unknown Pentax
In reply to Heie2, Jun 24, 2012

I agree that Pentax make some superb cameras, and no one knows about them. The K1, K5 & K30 have better high ISO performance than probably any APS-c camera. Imagine a sensor under low light conditions where noise is not noticeable until ISO 1600, and in bright conditions ISO 6400! Who makes the sensors?

Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Unknown Pentax
In reply to The Skipper, Jun 24, 2012

Sony makes the sensors, and the D7000 uses the same one, however Pentax does a better job handing noise and bringing out the best in the sensor with Pentax's own slight mods to it.

Pentax is the unknown giant, it really is. The D7000 is a great camera, but it's simply not as good as the K-5. Close, but not there.

-Heie

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads