canon 60D Vs 650D

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions
Vobu
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
canon 60D Vs 650D
Jun 21, 2012

Hi everyone, i am new to DSLR photography and wanted to buy one to learn photography. I would like to know experts opinion to choose between canon 60D and 650D considering the price of two models is almost same with basic kit lense.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,466Gear list
Like?
Re: canon 60D Vs 650D
In reply to Vobu, Jun 21, 2012

Vobu wrote:

Hi everyone, i am new to DSLR photography and wanted to buy one to learn photography. I would like to know experts opinion to choose between canon 60D and 650D considering the price of two models is almost same with basic kit lense.

There is a invisible line between what I call an entry level camera and the features they feel are important and an enthusiast or semi-pro camera and what is felt to be important there. Some of those things cross over, but many do not.

Entry Level

• mostly plastic construction

• minimal exterior controls to get in the way

• point and shoot upgrade feature set

• lots of training wheels like scene modes and various automatic settings

• funzy stuff like art filters, pano modes, built in HDR, digital zooms, etc

• penta-mirror viewfinder

• no top LCD

• one control dial

There are more, but that's the idea. They stick lots of funzy features on to lure the novice into a junk feature comparison against the competition for their not so useful junk features. All the entry level models are similar with the above like the Canon Rebels, Nikon D3100, D3200, D5100, Pentax Kr, and various Sony models.

Enthusiast Level cameras tend to have features a more seasoned photographer would insist on and less of the features at the entry level.

• Magnesium body panels or at least a metal frame (60D and Nikon D90 are lacking this)

• real optical glass pentaprism view finder for a brighter, more accurate view instead of the cheaper tunnel-like view of the penta-mirror arrangement

• still has the training wheels but you can take them off as you learn

• less junk features to get in your way

• more external controls so you can access important things without stopping and digging in menus

• Top mounted LCD so you can see what's going on in bright light or night without cranking up the back panel and looking for shade.

• Usually twin control dials, but I think the 60D is only one for some reason known only to Canon

In my opinion the Canon 60D, Pentax K5, Nikon D90, Nikon D7000 and some of the Sony models all fit into this category. Because of the external controls, twin dials, and top mounted LCD, I think these cameras make it easier to learn on while the entry levels are easier to play with after you get it out of the box.

To me who is a diabetic 61 year old with glasses, the most important feature by far is the real optical glass pentaprism viewfinder. I can see all the little informational icons and numbers along the edges and the image view is bigger, brighter and more accurate in my eyes. This feature is a major deal breaker for me.

My second major deal breaker is the top mounted LCD. I don't know what Canon puts in theirs but I know I'd get frustrated without having what Nikon puts in there and available to me by just glancing down at the camera. I don't have to find a shady area and turn on the back panel and press the right info buttons to find out how many shots I have left or the condition of the battery. I can look and see what mode I'm in and what focus points are selected. I can see the exposure settings. I can point the camera around and watch those settings change like a hand held light meter.

In conclusion, I personally would not by the entry level type camera and would buy an enthusiast model regardless of brand. The 60D is the least priced example of that level of camera from Canon.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Baraseth
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 21, 2012

I was in the same decision agony a month ago, stepping up from a Sony Bridge camera and consider myself a beginner photographer. I don't shoot video. I bought the Canon 60D mostly because the package offering at COSTCO had a better lens option than the T3i (600D) -- the 650D was not yet out. I am so glad I bought the 60D for the following reasons:

The glass pentaprism viewfinder. I'm 60 and found the difference between the two types of viewfinders significant. Seeing clearly makes all the difference.

The top LCD: I'd never had one before and frankly thought I'd never use it. Now after a few weeks with the 60D, I use it (and the VF data) all the time, and hardly use the rear LCD at all for setting up shots.

The buttons and wheel dials: it is very easy to teach yourself to use the AE/AF/ISO, etc. buttons and the wheel dials to change settings. It very quickly became intuitive to use the 60D and I find myself spending more time looking at a shot and less time trying to figure out how to change settings, etc.

Don't let the "pro", "semi-pro" labels turn you away. There are so many features on the 60D that make it so easy to understand and use the camera for a beginner.

ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
In reply to Baraseth, Jun 21, 2012

I own a Canon Rebel XSi, and use a Canon 60D at work.

I think it comes down to what you think you'll want to do, and what kind of money you can spend. As far as image quality and usability, the only canon I wouldn't recommend would the the T3 for it's outdated features.

The Canon T4i and 60D are very close in price. For the $50 difference I would just go with the 60D if you're looking at mostly photography. If you want to do video, the t4i has a new 18mp sensor designed with video in mind, and comes packaged with a 18-135 that has a super quiet focus motor so you won't hear it (as much) when using AF while filming. Both have 9 cross type AF points, same style viewfinder, and similar basic features. The t4i is more beginner friendly with it's intuitive touch screen and other easy modes. Just because it has these doesn't mean you can't ignore them, my XSi is a beginners cam and I use it all the time without touching any of the auto modes or beginner features.

You could also go with a lesser model if you're a real beginner and strapped for cash. For the price of the 60D or t4i with a lens you could have a small photography kit, instead of just a camera body and kit lens. This is only if you don't have a lot of cash to spend, the better you buy now the longer you'll go without feeling the need to upgrade your camera body.

The t2i uses the same 18mp sensor as the 60D, so image quality will be very similar. For $900 (price of 60D body only) you can get the t2i, 18-55mm IS, and 55-250mm IS. These two lenses are some of the best bargain lenses out there for the canon crop bodies. Add on an E-TTL Flash and the 50mm f1.8 and you've spend about $1,200, the price of a 60D with the kit lens.

Either way you have to think about the other things you'll need to get with the camera, I would suggest having a wide angle and telephoto lens at least, and if possible add in the 50mm f1.8 to get a feel for prime lenses. As to what you should get, that depends on the money you have to spend

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vobu, Jun 21, 2012

The Canon 60D has nearly all the funzy features of the Rebels. You would need to go up to the 7D to start losing funzy features. In any event it's very, very easy to ignore any features that are not your cup of tea, they don't really get in my way. The "tunnel view" on my 50D is little better than the view on mirrorprism cameras I've owned. With a full frame design you might finally get a really nice viewfinder. The top mount LCD on my 50D is not that easy to view in full sunlight. Maybe that's just a Canon shortcoming, I haven't tried Nikon. In any event I hardly ever use the top LCD. The quick menu on the main LCD on the back is a whole lot easier for me to use than the microscopic mystery icons on the top LCD. The extra wheels and such on the 60D make it easier to use in manual mode, but not everybody ends up shooting manual mode exclusively. I do prefer my 50D to a Rebel, but it's for the extra customization, not the usual reasons given for a semi-pro design. I shoot mostly in the Av and Tv modes, the customization makes that practice a little quicker and easier.

The 18-135 that is the kit lens for the 60D is quite a bit heavier than the 18-55. No big deal for enthusiasts who are accustomed to lugging around fast glass. But a casual shooter may find the lighter Rebel easier to live with all day. I'm seriously thinking about adding on a Micro4/3 camera just for that mission, instead of lugging my 50D around all the time.

Different strokes for different folks.
Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 21, 2012

Guidenet wrote:

• Usually twin control dials, but I think the 60D is only one for some reason known only to Canon

60D has two dials, thank you very much. It also has an 8-way selector pad that functions same as the traditional joystick found on 50D/7D/5D/1D.

The extent of control on 60D is on a whole different level from the Rebels.

Vobu
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to KCook, Jun 22, 2012

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your valuable opinion. I decided to go with Canon 60D.

Guidenet
Like?
In reply to scorrpio, Jun 22, 2012

scorrpio wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

60D has two dials, thank you very much. It also has an 8-way selector pad that functions same as the traditional joystick found on 50D/7D/5D/1D.

The extent of control on 60D is on a whole different level from the Rebels.

Good. I was hoping it had a front and back control dial. One for aperture and one for shutter speed. Someone said it didn't that's why I said I "think" it only has one.;)

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,719
Like?
In reply to Vobu, Jun 22, 2012

Vobu wrote:

If you like the ergonomics and features the 60D is $640 on the CLP program (body only), I would get that if you didn't mind not having the extra video features of the 650D

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,877Gear list
Like?

I wouldn't call myself an expert but technically proficient; I did start from zero so that might be useful too.

One way of learning is by weaning yourself off the auto modes and shooting in Manual mode, so you control the aperture of the lens, the shutter speed and the sensor's ISO. I find the 60D and its brethren easier to use for this than the Rebel series, but I'm not knocking the latter, it's a question of comfort when shooting without taking your off the (brighter) viewfinder.

If you can get your hands on a Rebel (550D, 600D, 650D), try it in manual mode and find that it's just as comfortable, by all means go for one, they're excellent cameras.

A second point is to think of all the bells and whistles, which the 650D has more of; but you may end up paying for potential technology , not what you'll really use. The 650D in particular seems well suited to video, but you need to realize that's a very different game from photography. If you want to learn or are not much into video and can get a 550D or 600D at a better price that might another option - the money saved could go towards a better lens, which can make a huge difference.

Try not to go crazy with all the options!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Guidenet
Like?
Smart Move

Vobu wrote:

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your valuable opinion. I decided to go with Canon 60D.

Have fun and let us know how it works out.

Now, as a second thought, I hope you know that as a Canon owner instead of Nikon, you have to learn to put up with the fleas of a thousand bison infesting your underarms. As long as you know and understand, it's ok.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads