D800 cheap battery pack's

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
cosmicnode
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
Just received Meike battery pack.
In reply to BeachnCruz, Jul 4, 2012

Just received the Meike battery pack from Hong Kong, 8 days delivery, not bad. No customs duty, the alignment pin is plastic, but not a problem . The battery holder takes 8 AA batteries, the fit of the batteries is very tight end to end, so there should not be a problem of poor connections between the individual AA cells. The En-EL 15 battery holder takes one battery and fits in with a gook click, it should not come free accidentally in your bag or in the grip. Fitting grip to body is OK with just a little flex between grip and body you cant feel it in use, all controls work as per Nikon settings, although they don't have the more solid feel and action of the Nikon controls, acceptable though. Both batteries show up together in the menu showing life and charge information. I have checked in DX mode that there are 6fps it fires at that rate and shows 6 fps in the rear info screen, so all is as advertised. this with AA batteise showing less than 50% charge. It feels comfortable in both horizontal and vertical positions. The bad news, not much, I would not like to rely on the tripod mount on the pack with a heavy lens fitted which did not have its own tripod foot.
For me it does exactly what it say's on the tin, and is good value for money.

If you look at the other grip the you will see that the area around the thumb grip is different. apparently it also takes 2 batteries though there does not seem to be room for two even back to back so this may be a mis-print , I wonder how these show up in the menu ?
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bkushner
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Re: Just received Meike battery pack.
In reply to cosmicnode, Jul 5, 2012

Received mine as well and it's perfect for what I need. In all honesty $70 delivered how can you go wrong.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkushner/

Daniel Clune
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,428Gear list
Like?
so theses are both the Meike grip right?
In reply to bkushner, Jul 5, 2012

Meike grip, Plus you get the 6fps in DX ,curious what frame rate in 1.2 crop I heard its almost 6 ,, true?? Does it show battery charge with NIMH AA batteries correctly?

bkushner wrote:

Received mine as well and it's perfect for what I need. In all honesty $70 delivered how can you go wrong.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkushner/

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Conway Yee
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

Is the shape of the Meike pack identical to that of the Nikon pack? Will I be able to use RRS acra-swiss plates?

Thanks.
Conway Yee

BeachnCruz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032
Like?
Re: Just received Meike battery pack.... compatibilities ?

cosmicnode wrote:

AA batteries showing less than 50% charge.
--
Mike.

Mike.... were your AA Batteries fully charged when your Camera LCD Battery charge level indicated only 50% ?

Is an RRStuff or Kirk L-Bracket/Plate compatible with the Meike Battery Pack Grip ?

Any chance of a Nikon BL-5 Battery Pack Cover fitting the Meike Grip so the more power packed Nikon En-El18 Battery could be used like accomplished when using the Nikon MB-D12 Battery Pack Grip ?

Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,571Gear list
Like?
Battery drain?

Have u experienced any battery drain when sitting idle? I had that problem with d300 Meiki grip. It would just drain away faster than just having it in the camera.

I thought that was absurd and defeated the purpose. Battery would be dead in a few days, as compared to being in the camera or by itself.
Let us know ur observations. Same goes for aa batteries.

cosmicnode wrote:

Just received the Meike battery pack from Hong Kong, 8 days delivery, not bad. No customs duty, the alignment pin is plastic, but not a problem . The battery holder takes 8 AA batteries, the fit of the batteries is very tight end to end, so there should not be a problem of poor connections between the individual AA cells. The En-EL 15 battery holder takes one battery and fits in with a gook click, it should not come free accidentally in your bag or in the grip. Fitting grip to body is OK with just a little flex between grip and body you cant feel it in use, all controls work as per Nikon settings, although they don't have the more solid feel and action of the Nikon controls, acceptable though. Both batteries show up together in the menu showing life and charge information. I have checked in DX mode that there are 6fps it fires at that rate and shows 6 fps in the rear info screen, so all is as advertised. this with AA batteise showing less than 50% charge. It feels comfortable in both horizontal and vertical positions. The bad news, not much, I would not like to rely on the tripod mount on the pack with a heavy lens fitted which did not have its own tripod foot.
For me it does exactly what it say's on the tin, and is good value for money.

If you look at the other grip the you will see that the area around the thumb grip is different. apparently it also takes 2 batteries though there does not seem to be room for two even back to back so this may be a mis-print , I wonder how these show up in the menu ?
--
Mike.

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
cosmicnode
Like?
Re: Just received Meike battery pack.... compatibilities ?
In reply to BeachnCruz, Jul 5, 2012

BeachnCruz wrote:

cosmicnode wrote:

AA batteries showing less than 50% charge.
--
Mike.

Mike.... were your AA Batteries fully charged when your Camera LCD Battery charge level indicated only 50% ?

Is an RRStuff or Kirk L-Bracket/Plate compatible with the Meike Battery Pack Grip ?

Any chance of a Nikon BL-5 Battery Pack Cover fitting the Meike Grip so the more power packed Nikon En-El18 Battery could be used like accomplished when using the Nikon MB-D12 Battery Pack Grip ?

The set of AA nm-h rechargeable batteries I have are quite old and had not been used recently, they took a charge but I was not confident that they would be of any use. some appeared to charge to quickly others took a long time. they showed less than 1/2 charge on the Icon in the menu, but still fired at 6fps. I will soon get a new set of batteries to replace them.

I have just receiver a Markins camera plate for the D800 body, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Markins-P800U-Dovetail-Quick-Release-Camera-Plate-for-DSLR-Nikon-D800-D800E-/261045997692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc78dd07c

it's a superb fit on the body but a little to small for the battery pack , when tightened you can see a airgap between plate and pack. This may also be true of the Nikon battery pack.

I have a D2x and the en-el4 batteries have the same connectors as the Meike battery holders in the same position I also have the door from a mbd10 battery pack this with batteru is the same length as the Meike holder , I have slipped it into the battery pack and it would fit if the door shape was the same , however I do not know if the electronics of the battery and body are compatible. If someone has batteries from the D2X or D3 series and a D4 they would be able to compare the connectors shape and position. If these match its possible that either a door from the Nikon battery pack would fit or Meike would produce one. This battery is available for the D7000 mbd 11 battery pack. the connectors are in the wrong position but the manufacturer may produce batteries for the Meike grip.I think that all these cheap grips originate from the same factory and are produced with slight cosmetic variations for the several different re-sellers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3600mAh-EN-EL15A-Battery-For-NIKON-MB-D11-D7000-Free-Shipping-/170838294175?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item27c6c17e9f
--
Mike.

Nikon D2X Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Lilien
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
In reply to cosmicnode, Jul 6, 2012

What about the material, is it all plastics?

Regards, Juergen

tonymcnicol
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Anybody receive new aftermarket D800 Battery Pack Grip yet ?
In reply to BeachnCruz, Jul 6, 2012

Yes please. Any reports on the grip in action would be much appreciated!
--
Documenting Japan

cosmicnode
Like?
In reply to tonymcnicol, Jul 6, 2012

The grip is entirely made of plastic. Weight of grip with 8 AA batteries is 475grams with Nikon battery it's 333grams. Pouring down with rain at the moment , I have just been watching F1 practice on TV.
--
Mike.

Power2g
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmicnode, Jul 6, 2012

Anyone get the Pixel Vertax Grip instead of the Meike grip? I am interested in the reviews of the Pixel grip. Please report back your findings
--
Keep the art of photography alive

Power2g's gear list:Power2g's gear list
Nikon D800
deejaysoul
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
In reply to Power2g, Jul 30, 2012

I just got my Meike D800 Grip (plastic pin), I'm also having issue with the AA battery pack. I tried with two different sets of fairly new batteries and when I attach it to the camera I get a flashing battery icon. With the EN-EL15 it works fine, as long I dont remove the tray and power up the camera. If I do, it shows me a flashing battery icon again and then I need to remove the grip and reattach it to recognize it. Weird, Im use to the grip on my D300, I never experience this before, since I was able to change (original grip) batteries mid-shoot without removing the grip.

Or is there something I'm missing, other than chalking it up to buying a knock off version, that doesn't work 100%.

deejaysoul's gear list:deejaysoul's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +6 more
cosmicnode
Like?
In reply to deejaysoul, Jul 30, 2012

Have you got your AA battery type set in custom memory d11 ?. It could be your batteries, I have had problems with rechargeable Ni-MH batteries lately in my sb 700 flash. they were charged but would not turn on the flash , I tried several sets and then found a set that would turn it on ,much to my relief. Later I found that pushing the batteries into the holder and rotating them before closing the door got them working. It appears that it takes very little to stop the current flowing, the contacts on the batteries were slightly corroded although it was not visible to me. Removing the tray and replacing it with the other battery type has no effect on the camera , and turning it on without a tray in does not effect the on-board battery the camera focuses and shutter fires, no problem. My camera is set to use battery in the pack before on-board battery.

-- hide signature --

Mike.

deejaysoul
Like?
In reply to cosmicnode, Jul 31, 2012

Thank you for your reply, I try your technique tonight, but testing out the D7000 grip I ordered, worked perfectly with the same AAs.

What I found weird, was that with the Meike D7000 grip, I was able to activate the shutter without any batteries in the tray, but on the D800, it just flash dead battery. And it didnt seem to matter how the D11 option was set.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +6 more
Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
Re: D800 Pixel Vertex and Meike battery Battery Grip Packs
In reply to BeachnCruz, Jul 31, 2012

BeachnCruz wrote:

Will the Pixel Vertex or Meike Battery Grip Packs designed for D800 work with an En-El18 D4 Battery also ?

Will a Nikon BL-5 Battery Adapter Cover (intended for use with En-El18 Battery when adapted to the Nikon D800 Grip) fit aftermarket Pixel Vertex or Meike Battery Grip Packs?

Will the Really Right Stuff or Kirk L-Bracket/Plate designed for use with Nikon D800 + Nikon Battery Grip Pack also fit D800 if using an aftermarket Pixel Vertex or Meike D800 Battery Grip Pack ?

-- hide signature --

Chinese DSTE makes a pack that additionally to the 8AA & en-el15 trays, includes a tray with an EN-EL18 permanently attached to it... the camera showed "fully charged" with the internal EN-EL15 removed and no charging for the EN-EL18 23days after it has been shipped, the only problem seems to be that the dedicated chargers that are included for the EN-EL18, where both faulty! I have to use a compatible charger until the replacements (they have shipped them immediately after I've send them a note without asking for the faulty ones back) arrive. Cost of the lot was $129 inc. shipping, I've been always using chinese alternative packs for my cameras from the time I tried an alternative MB-D200 to my original one for my Fuji S5PROs which made no difference... neither the Meike on my D700 or the DSTE & EN-EL18 for my D800E show any difference... but on the wallet.

P.S.How can you guys use those WIDE STRAPS that are supplied with the cameras?

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to deejaysoul, Aug 1, 2012

I also have the d8 meike grip. Mine will not permit operation without a battery, as mentioned above. However, if I install a battery into the grip (without disconnecting the grip from body) everything works fine.
This is not a problem for me but I can see how it would be for some.
BTW...my old meike grip for d300s did NOT have this issue.

wj
--
nikonfujiandricoh

wymjym's gear list:wymjym's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Aug 1, 2012

Similar 'bug' with my Meike--just remove the empty battery holder and all is fine.

Other than the above I find the Meike more than satisfactory, my D300 Nikon battery pack fits in the Meike and functions the same.

irv weiner

deejaysoul
Like?
In reply to cosmicnode, Aug 4, 2012

So I finally got around to do your trick it didnt work, but the grip did work for a few seconds with the AAs randomly. Its funny the grip on the D7000 works perfectly, I can remove the battery and it still works, but D800 doesnt. I cant remove the tray, if I do the camera assume the battery is dead, so I need to remove grip completely with EN-EL15 and then it works. I have a long weekend of shooting, hopefully it works out.

cosmicnode wrote:

Have you got your AA battery type set in custom memory d11 ?. It could be your batteries, I have had problems with rechargeable Ni-MH batteries lately in my sb 700 flash. they were charged but would not turn on the flash , I tried several sets and then found a set that would turn it on ,much to my relief. Later I found that pushing the batteries into the holder and rotating them before closing the door got them working. It appears that it takes very little to stop the current flowing, the contacts on the batteries were slightly corroded although it was not visible to me. Removing the tray and replacing it with the other battery type has no effect on the camera , and turning it on without a tray in does not effect the on-board battery the camera focuses and shutter fires, no problem. My camera is set to use battery in the pack before on-board battery.

-- hide signature --

Mike.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads