Ken Rockwell no longer shoots Nikon?

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
slidewilson
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Ken Rockwell no longer shoots Nikon?
Jun 20, 2012

From his June 17th post: "While the D800 and other amateur Nikons all have built-in flashes, we Canon shooters don't have it so good, since Canon failed to include a built-in flash on any of the 5D series"

Thought it was odd since he's written soo many articles on Nikon lenses. Maybe he shoots exclusively with Canon now?

Also thought it was funny that he says this about the D800..

"The D800 is the best DSLR ever made by anyone at any price. There is no comparison."

.. while saying this about the Canon 5d Mark III:

"The 5D Mark III is the world's best DSLR."

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PhotoKaz
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell no longer shoots Nikon?
In reply to slidewilson, Jun 20, 2012

KR shoots everything, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Leica, comacts, mirrorless, and SLR. He somehow manages to say everything is the best and the worst at the same time. He also said you don't need more than 3-6MP. I still visit his site, but don't follow him like I used to before I found much better sites.

PhotoKaz's gear list:PhotoKaz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis Watts
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to PhotoKaz, Jun 20, 2012

PhotoKaz wrote:

KR shoots everything, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Leica, comacts, mirrorless, and SLR. He somehow manages to say everything is the best and the worst at the same time. He also said you don't need more than 3-6MP. I still visit his site, but don't follow him like I used to before I found much better sites.

I think you're description of KR is right on. There are more contradictions on that site that I could count. His site is still a good source of information but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

You mentioned that you have better sites I think it would be interesting to list your favorites. Here are a couple of mine
http://www.bythom.com/
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/index.shtml
http://thenewcamera.com/

Dennis Watts's gear list:Dennis Watts's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +4 more
John Motts
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,993
Like?
In reply to Dennis Watts, Jun 20, 2012

He likes making controversial statements like calling the D800 an amateur camera because it gets him hits on his site.

In other words, don't encourage him!

arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?

Ken makes over $470 a day from his website. He will say whatever he thinks will drive traffic to his site, controversial or not. For a $175,000 a year can you blame him?
--
Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,707
Like?
Does/did he shoot Nikon..only verbally or literally?

My knowledge about Kennie is not that great..but that he shoots Nikon, surprises me even.

Michel

slidewilson wrote:

From his June 17th post: "While the D800 and other amateur Nikons all have built-in flashes, we Canon shooters don't have it so good, since Canon failed to include a built-in flash on any of the 5D series"

Thought it was odd since he's written soo many articles on Nikon lenses. Maybe he shoots exclusively with Canon now?

"The D800 is the best DSLR ever made by anyone at any price. There is no comparison."

-- hide signature --
Gary Anderson
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?

Oh no. Another Ken Rockwell thread. I'm gonna start an office pool based on the number of posts to this thread. Let's see... I think I'll enter with 86.

Gary Anderson's gear list:Gary Anderson's gear list
Nikon D4
Joe Porto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,008Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dennis Watts, Jun 20, 2012

Dennis Watts wrote:

You mentioned that you have better sites I think it would be interesting to list your favorites. Here are a couple of mine
http://www.bythom.com/
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/index.shtml
http://thenewcamera.com/

Great sites. Thanks...

Joe Porto's gear list:Joe Porto's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G
arizonadesertrat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,319Gear list
Like?
Just to help you (and him) out:
In reply to Gary Anderson, Jun 20, 2012

Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues
--
Fiat Lux

arizonadesertrat's gear list:arizonadesertrat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +12 more
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,092Gear list
Like?
Ken Rockwell simply put.
In reply to arizonadesertrat, Jun 20, 2012

A flake.

-- hide signature --

Shoot like it's your last day..

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Just to help you (and him) out:

Are you saying he's a charlatan? If so, I totally agree. And no offense to the OP, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would waste time considering anything KR is doing. He's a blogger in the business of making money off of amateur and hobbyist photographers, feeding them any load of BS that will increase his bottom line. There are tons of valuable photography resources online, I cannot imagine why anyone reads him. His MO is to try to say something outrageous, i.e., "the 18-55 VR blows the 24-70 away" or "Don't bother with lenshoods" in order to have everybody talking about his "shocking" proclamation. All the while he sits back and watches his Google ranking go up and up probably laughing while he plays with his Leica M9 and Phase One Q180.

But seriously, If I want lens tests/reviews, I read Photozone, Lenstip and SLR Gear. If I want camera reviews I'll read DPR, IR, ThePhotographyBlog, et al. And for a gear blog I find Steve Huff's site is much more interesting than Rockwell's 90's style website. And if I want to read technique, and photography essays I'll stop by Luminous Lanscape or Mike Johnston's site, The Online Photographer.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
adriantilley
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?

I logged in just to say this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long time.

john enea
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?

wow, looks like we found a replacement for the most interesting man alive. wonder what he drinks?

really funny post

arizonadesertrat wrote:

Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues
--
Fiat Lux

mgurantz2
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?

you did not mention he drinks dos equis

mgurantz2's gear list:mgurantz2's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
In reply to adriantilley, Jun 20, 2012

KR has no credibility. None. Just peruse his site and read what he writes. You will come across one contradiction after another, as well as 4th grade sentence structure and obvious typos and misspellings that any middle-schooler would catch.

Anyone can do what he does, which is regurgitate a lot of information about products that is already available online, adds his "expert" spin, then provides you with a convenient link where you can buy the product and whereby he gets a cut of the sale.

Anyone here can do what KR has done. It just takes good copy/paste skill, nothing more.
--
"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,993
Like?
KR ... more flip-flops than Mitt. (n/t)

no text
--
design guy

Edgar Payne
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: KR ... more flip-flops than Mitt. (n/t)
In reply to nunatak, Jun 20, 2012

Ken is a special kind of IDOT without a doubt. I did not realize the hits on his site were so lucrative. Makes me want to set up a site of controversy and misinformation.

AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: KR ... more flip-flops than Mitt. (n/t)
In reply to Edgar Payne, Jun 20, 2012

Seriously, want to make a lot of money? Set up a site with your first and last name as the URL, post a bunch of pictures of yourself with really big, long lenses to make you look like a pro, then copy/paste publicly available information and label that as a "review", add some of your own personal spin, then post affiliate links all over the place to buy those highly reviewed products!

No wonder KR is doing so well - no matter what product review you are reading, it's always the best there is!

Edgar Payne wrote:

Ken is a special kind of IDOT without a doubt. I did not realize the hits on his site were so lucrative. Makes me want to set up a site of controversy and misinformation.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Neil Morgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243
Like?

That's simply because he is full of sh$t.
He writes which ever way the wind (or cash) blows.

slidewilson wrote:

-- hide signature --

A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
A Death Certificate shows that we died.
Pictures show that we lived!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/

jflaplante
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?

I find this video very funny:

Start with Part 1 at the bottom!

http://froknowsphoto.com/raw-vs-jpeg-vs-ken-rockwell-interview/

JF.

-- hide signature --

D800 + D7000 + P7000 + X10
14-24 2.8 Nikkor
24-70 2.8 Nikkor
70-200 VR 2.8 Nikkor
28-300 VC Tamron
50 1.8 AF Nikkor