Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
denmarkdavis
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...
Jun 20, 2012

Threw away the CDs expecting there to be an online download like usual.. No such luck. Could anyone send me their version so I can load some profiles onto my new cam?

Thanks

arthon
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?
Re: Driving me CRAZY! Need Eos Utility 2.11 for mk3...
In reply to denmarkdavis, Jun 21, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
denmarkdavis
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to arthon, Jun 21, 2012

Thanks for the reply, but this is for installing DPP not the latest Eos Utility..

5D mk3 isn't recognised with 2.10 - I need 2.11 which is not available for download through Canon..

Really frustrating.

ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Contact Canon customer service and order a new disc...
In reply to denmarkdavis, Jun 21, 2012

Contact Canon customer service and order a new disc...

denmarkdavis wrote:

Threw away the CDs expecting there to be an online download like usual.. No such luck. Could anyone send me their version so I can load some profiles onto my new cam?

Thanks

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Peter Galbavy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011
Like?
In reply to denmarkdavis, Jun 22, 2012

Actually, it's Method 1 from the link posted you want - works for all Canon software I've come into contact with. My CDs are in boxes in the loft and have never been used.

-- hide signature --

Peter Galbavy

KBStudio
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Galbavy, Jun 25, 2012

This only works if you can find the software to download. I haven't!

KBStudio's gear list:KBStudio's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +3 more
John_Hoffman
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
In reply to KBStudio, Jun 25, 2012

Right. Canon hasn't posted yet. Do not understand why OP threw away the CDs he had, that contained the software, to count on a web download. A bird in the hand...

kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?
I contacted canon
In reply to denmarkdavis, Jun 26, 2012

same problem. Cps member. contacted them. they immediately wrote me back apologizing. asked for camera serial number my address, date of purchase, to send me a new cd. found the CD in office this am. wrote them back, and asked why was it removed from website. answer was we dont know why, but hopefully will be back up shortly.

I would upload it for you, except I think I will be violating some copy right infringement, as silly as it may be.

denmarkdavis wrote:

Thanks

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
Shamus1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,603Gear list
Like?
Re: I contacted canon
In reply to kevindar, Jun 26, 2012

You're probably right. I noticed even some of the FW downloads require a s/n....

Shamus1's gear list:Shamus1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
KBStudio
Like?
In reply to kevindar, Jun 26, 2012

When I asked CPS about EOS Utility 2.11 I got the same "we don't know" response. This was a lot better than the response I got from Canon support, which was no response at all. If they won't release EOS Utility 2.11 at least make 2.10.4 available for Windows 7.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +3 more
shooter00
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to KBStudio, Jun 26, 2012

KBStudio wrote:

When I asked CPS about EOS Utility 2.11 I got the same "we don't know" response. This was a lot better than the response I got from Canon support, which was no response at all. If they won't release EOS Utility 2.11 at least make 2.10.4 available for Windows 7.

2.10.2 for Windows and 2.10.4 for Mac are the same release versions.

SDRebel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Several Canon programs require original install
In reply to denmarkdavis, Jun 26, 2012

Several Canon software programs, such as EOS, require an original install of some version from the Canon disc. So, even if there is an update posted, it won't install unless you have a previsious version on your computer and properly installed.

Other Canon software is free of this constraint.

Whether someone who has a disc with EOS can email you files that will install is a question I can't answer.

What I understand is that you have to have a disc, that if you have lost it, then you have to purchase a disc from Canon. I believe the price is in the range of $30.

Of course, if you have a prior version of EOS, you can download the update when it is made available.

That is another issue. For some reason, perhaps Freud explains it in his writings, Canon retains these sorts of updates for months after new equipment has made it to the market. I've never been able to ascertain a reasonable basis for this policy, but it has been the practice of Canon for many years.

KBStudio
Like?
In reply to shooter00, Jun 26, 2012

No they aren't. I am running both and there is a significant improvement with "Compose" in 2.10.4 which is not available in 2.10.2. But 2.10.4 is only available for Mac OS. Thus, why?

shooter00
Like?
In reply to KBStudio, Jun 27, 2012

KBStudio wrote:

No they aren't. I am running both and there is a significant improvement with "Compose" in 2.10.4 which is not available in 2.10.2. But 2.10.4 is only available for Mac OS. Thus, why?

Go to page 40-41 of the 2.10.2 Windows manual and you'll see the same overlay composite feature as in the Mac version manual.

So I guess your saying the Mac 2.10.4 manual is wrong and there is more features showing up in your download than they are showing in manual......

How odd,You compare those two manuals side by side and they are almost identicle page for page.

Peter Galbavy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011
Like?
Re: Several Canon programs require original install
In reply to SDRebel, Jun 27, 2012

SDRebel wrote:

Several Canon software programs, such as EOS, require an original install of some version from the Canon disc. So, even if there is an update posted, it won't install unless you have a previsious version on your computer and properly installed.

Please read the thread before posting. There are web sites that list the (empty) registry keys required to fool the installer into working. I have been doing it like this on new PCs for years with the original disks (I have DPP 1.0 on CD amongst others!) stored away, never used.

rgds,
--
Peter Galbavy

KBStudio
Like?
In reply to shooter00, Jun 27, 2012

I can only speak from experience. I use both. EOS 2.10.2 does not have the same "Compose" functionality as EOS 2.10.4. Again, I use EOS Utility daily on both a Mac and Windows 7 machine. The only function that is different, that I am aware of, is the "Compose" feature. So again, why hasn't this upgrade been made available to Windows users?

shooter00
Like?

KBStudio wrote:

I can only speak from experience. I use both. EOS 2.10.2 does not have the same "Compose" functionality as EOS 2.10.4. Again, I use EOS Utility daily on both a Mac and Windows 7 machine. The only function that is different, that I am aware of, is the "Compose" feature. So again, why hasn't this upgrade been made available to Windows users?

You keep saying "Compose" feature.
What is it and what does it do ?

KBStudio
Like?
In reply to shooter00, Jun 27, 2012

When you activate "Live View" the "Live View" window opens and there are two tabs, Live View and Compose. Live View allows you to focus, set the white point of the screen view of Live View and check depth of field. Compose, allows you to overlay an image onto the Live View window. You can enlarge, rotate, and change the opacity of this overlaid image. This is an extremely valuable tool for commercial shooting. Compose also provides a group of preset grids or the ability to customize the grid. What is different in EOS Utility 2.10.4 is that Compose Overlay does not require you to predetermine the size of the image you are using as an Overlay, EOS Utility 2.10.2 does. It is really difficult to get this presizing correct. EOS Utility 2.11 has the never version of Compose but as of today Canon has not seen fit to allow users of older cameras to update EOS Utility.

Hope this helps. Again, I use the Compose/Overlay feature daily and it helps tremendously when shooting similar products or trying to match previous work exactly.

shooter00
Like?

KBStudio wrote:

When you activate "Live View" the "Live View" window opens and there are two tabs, Live View and Compose. Live View allows you to focus, set the white point of the screen view of Live View and check depth of field. Compose, allows you to overlay an image onto the Live View window. You can enlarge, rotate, and change the opacity of this overlaid image. This is an extremely valuable tool for commercial shooting. Compose also provides a group of preset grids or the ability to customize the grid. What is different in EOS Utility 2.10.4 is that Compose Overlay does not require you to predetermine the size of the image you are using as an Overlay, EOS Utility 2.10.2 does. It is really difficult to get this presizing correct. EOS Utility 2.11 has the never version of Compose but as of today Canon has not seen fit to allow users of older cameras to update EOS Utility.

Hope this helps. Again, I use the Compose/Overlay feature daily and it helps tremendously when shooting similar products or trying to match previous work exactly.

I guess Canon left out some info in the Windows manual,both look the same to me.
What does the Windows version do differently than what is shown in the manual ?

Mac on the left Windows on the right.

SDRebel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489
Like?
Thanks
In reply to Peter Galbavy, Jun 27, 2012

Interesting. I constantly learn using this forum. If there was mention of the keys previously, I missed it. So, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The fact that people make registry keys available doesn't, of course, explain why Canon engages in hiding the ball. Clearly, if the keys are readily available, there is no economic justification. Also, the availability of the keys makes it even more outrageous for Canon to charge $30 for a disc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads