Color Management: Capture and View NX2

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions
bluenoser23
Senior MemberPosts: 2,032Gear list
Like?
Color Management: Capture and View NX2
Jun 20, 2012

I know color management is a dog's breakfast for most (including me). So let me see if I can explain my problem without sounding like a total goof.

Okay, my set-up: A Dell U2410, calibrated with Sypder 4, I use FF 13.0.1.

Situation #1: I work on a NEF file in Capture NX2. I then want to save it as a JPEG file. No matter if I tick the box indicating embed ICC profile, when I open the JPEG in Windows Explorer, the colours look over saturated.

I thought I was saving the JPEG in Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3002 (that is what's indicated in the colour management area of NX2 as my default RGB colour space. As such, wouldn't choosing NOT to imbed the ICC profile allow the Windows picture viewer to display things in sRGB (i.e. without the cartoon colours)? Of course it looks fine with the colour managed FF.

When I convert a NEF file in View NX2 - the JPEG file looks fine in the Windows viewer.

How can I convert a NEF file to JPEG with Capture to get it to view properly with non-colour managed browsers?

PS. Why can't I convert a NEF file with VIEW NX2 that has already been manipulated and saved with Capture?

Your assistance would be most appreciated!
--
James

bluenoser23's gear list:bluenoser23's gear list
Canon PowerShot A95 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D40 +13 more
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Color Management: Capture and View NX2
In reply to bluenoser23, Jun 20, 2012

bluenoser23 wrote:

Okay, my set-up: A Dell U2410, calibrated with Sypder 4, I use FF 13.0.1.

The Dell U2410 is wide-gamut, so you really need to calibrate/profile it, as you've done. FF is the best browser for colour management - Safari is 2nd best, but doesn't colour-manage images unless they have an embedded profile, which FF can.

Situation #1: I work on a NEF file in Capture NX2. I then want to save it as a JPEG file. No matter if I tick the box indicating embed ICC profile, when I open the JPEG in Windows Explorer, the colours look over saturated.

Are you using Windows XP or 7? In Windows 7, the default viewer ("Windows Photo Viewer") is colour managed, and should display the correct colours if a profile is embedded. Thumbnails shown in Windows Explorer won't be colour managed so (as your monitor is wide-gamut) sRGB images will look over-saturated. I'm not sure what Windows Photo Viewer does if there's no embedded profile. In XP, the photo viewer (called something like "Windows Picture and FAX viewer") isn't colour-managed, so an sRGB image will look over-saturated on a wide-gamut monitor.

I thought I was saving the JPEG in Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3002 (that is what's indicated in the colour management area of NX2 as my default RGB colour space. As such, wouldn't choosing NOT to imbed the ICC profile allow the Windows picture viewer to display things in sRGB (i.e. without the cartoon colours)? Of course it looks fine with the colour managed FF.

If you don't embed a colour profile in image, then all bets are off. The program has to guess how to colour-manage the image. Some will guess it's sRGB (Firefox will if you set gfx.color_management.mode to 1, as you said in the other thread) but some will simply give up, and not colour-manage.

How can I convert a NEF file to JPEG with Capture to get it to view properly with non-colour managed browsers?

It's a bit of a lottery. However, most people use normal gamut monitors, with a colour space very roughly sRGB. That means that sRGB images will look very roughly right. So the best guess is to use sRGB for images for the web. I recommend embedding a colour profile, so the minority of people with colour-managed browsers will get the benefit.

PS. Why can't I convert a NEF file with VIEW NX2 that has already been manipulated and saved with Capture?

Don't know!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Thomas Comerford
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,729
Like?
Re: Color Management: Capture and View NX2
In reply to Simon Garrett, Jun 20, 2012

Simon Garrett wrote:

bluenoser23 wrote:

Don't know!

Capture NX2 has lots of functionality (like control points) that doesn't exist in View NX2, so View NX2 wouldn't be able to apply the edits that were saved in the NEF. But it would be great if there was a way to tell View NX2 to "discard" the edits in a file so you can just start over.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads