x10 vs. Nikon D40

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions
rpaschal
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
x10 vs. Nikon D40
Jun 19, 2012

I've been a happy Nikon D40 owner for several years, but I'm in the market for a smaller travel camera. In looking at the X10 samples online, the IQ seems to be equal to my D40. For those who have both, what do you think?

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Daniel Barnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688
Like?
Re: x10 vs. Nikon D40
In reply to rpaschal, Jun 19, 2012

I went from a D70 to an x10. The D70 is much older than the D40 and the x10 does not have the same IQ that my D70 has. You are talking about a much bigger sensor in your D40. My x10 does have a few options that my D70 does not have. I think the dynamic range is better in the x10. If you are a pixel peeper, you will be disappointed.
--
Visit my site and give me feedback!
http://dbarnett.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sparkle1103
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,652
Like?
In reply to Daniel Barnett, Jun 19, 2012

I have a D40 and went to a Sony HX9V

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

Wayne N.
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,882
Like?
In reply to rpaschal, Jun 19, 2012

rpaschal wrote:

I've been a happy Nikon D40 owner for several years, but I'm in the market for a smaller travel camera. In looking at the X10 samples online, the IQ seems to be equal to my D40. For those who have both, what do you think?

My understanding is that the X10 had good IQ for it's smaller sensor. Whether or not it will satisfy you is hard to say. But if you are happy with the web sized images that you are seeing online, then possibly the X10 will do the trick for you.

If you want fixed lens with a step up in IQ, then possibly look into the Sony RX100 (which will have a 1" sensor and great IQ and RAW capability), or the Canon GX1.

The Nikon N1 cameras have interchangeable lenses, so they might not be your cup of tea, but they also have 1" sensors, great IQ and RAW capability. The J1 + 10-30 lens would be fairly compact (the 10mm prime even more so). Oh, and if you wanted to, you could get the FT1 adaptor and use your Nikon F mount lenses for long reach with excellent IQ (for example, the 300mm converts into a 810mm equivalent focal length).

Cheers,

Wayne
http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

rpaschal
Like?
In reply to Daniel Barnett, Jun 19, 2012

This helpful. Thank you.

rpaschal
Like?
In reply to Wayne N., Jun 20, 2012

Two of the things that appeal to me about the X10 are the fast lens and the optical view finder. I know the VF is not great, but I can't imagine having to use only an LCD screen to take all photos. Most users also comment on the build quality, the surprisingly good IQ, and the fact that it makes taking photos fun again. Any thoughts on these things vs. some of the competitors?

I also considered an X100, but there seem to be so many technical problems with it that I'm not sure I want to risk that much money on something I may not be able to rely on while traveling.

Thanks for your feedback.

gmark53
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: x10 vs. Nikon D40 - Have both
In reply to rpaschal, Jun 20, 2012

and am pleased with the IQ of the X10 at even ISO 3200.

The D40's ISO 3200 is barely usable for a 6x4" print. If your D40 has only a kit lens, you're gaining around 3 stops using the X10 with its fast lens and ISO set to 3200 which looks like D40's ISO 1600. Of course there's the WDS problem on the X10. Only you can decide if you'll likely be in situations that bring it out.
George

gmark53's gear list:gmark53's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D40 Nikon D3100 +1 more
ddtan
Regular MemberPosts: 335Gear list
Like?

rpaschal wrote:

Most users also comment on the build quality, the surprisingly good IQ, and the fact that it makes taking photos fun again.

You are right in these observations, there are many, including me, who have mentioned these qualities of the X10. You should give it a try, and see if you agree.

ddtan's gear list:ddtan's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1
tom_yellowblue
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?

I have both the X10 and D40, and I still use both of them. Overall, at any given exposure the image quality of the D40 is slightly better.

BUT... the lens on the X10 is faster than any zoom I have for the D40. Thus for lower light levels it can use a lower ISO and I find the pictures are better than the D40's. The D40 with the 35mm/1.8 is better, but it's not a zoom. If there is plenty of light then the D40 is better. A D40 with a bounce flash also wins, but I haven't tried a bounce flash on the X10.

The focusing on the D40 isn't as flexible (only 3 points), but it is fast. The X10 is pretty quick too but not quite as fast. The X10 does have face detection and when it works it makes the focusing pretty easy and it also adjusts the exposure so the face comes out correctly. The face detection has problems when people are wearing sunglasses. It also loses faces sometimes, but it's gotten a lot better since the last firmware update.

So what do I mostly use? The X10. It's pictures are almost as good as the D40 and it's just so much smaller and easier to carry.

DutchieinLA
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?

I had a D70 with really nice glass. But I switched to the X10 and gave the Nikon to my 12 year old. Never looked back. Very happy with the Fuji.

DutchieinLA's gear list:DutchieinLA's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X10 Nikon D200 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
In reply to DutchieinLA, Jun 20, 2012

You won't be desapointed , until you stay

great IQ, good viwfinder (better than D70)

but a longuer learning curve than a P&S, it's not one if you want the best of the camera

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 31,927Gear list
Like?
In reply to sparkle1103, Jun 20, 2012

sparkle1103 wrote:

I have a D40 and went to a Sony HX9V

Which means that you are not a high ISO shooter. On the other hand, you have fantastic video.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
rpaschal
Like?
In reply to tom_yellowblue, Jun 20, 2012

I recently got the 35mm 1.8 for my D40. Looks like it will be very good, but it doesn't solve the travel size issue, and I'm not sure whether I'll be happy limited to that particular focal length. Hence, my interest in the X10. I appreciate all the feedback.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to le_alain, Jun 20, 2012

le_alain wrote:

I shot the D70s for years and this comment is definitely a personal taste thing. The X10 has a tunnel OVF which I think sucks ... the D70s has a very nice OVF, as do all dSLRs.

but a longuer learning curve than a P&S, it's not one if you want the best of the camera

It is a P&S. It just has more buttons and dials and is bigger and heavier. There is no functional difference between the X10 and the F770EXR, except the F770EXR has much better reach. The IQ of the X10 is better at 800 and above as well (obviously.)

But ... what is identical between them is the presence of EXR and all that implies. The learning curve is steep because EXR has a bazillion modes, most of which are inferior in one way or another to simple PASM settings, as I document here ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?

rpaschal wrote:

I recently got the 35mm 1.8 for my D40. Looks like it will be very good, but it doesn't solve the travel size issue, and I'm not sure whether I'll be happy limited to that particular focal length. Hence, my interest in the X10. I appreciate all the feedback.

I just bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8, a wicked sharp lens that would have no trouble spanking the X10 in my opinion. This lens is small and inexpensive, and would work really well on the tiny D40. Mine does not have the built in motor, but that version exists. And so does a stabilized version, with slightly less acuity.

What I remember about my testing of the X10 (for several weeks) is that carrying it around was just as inconvenient as a bridge cam or a dSLR. Once you need a case ...

rpaschal
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jun 20, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

le_alain wrote:

I shot the D70s for years and this comment is definitely a personal taste thing. The X10 has a tunnel OVF which I think sucks ... the D70s has a very nice OVF, as do all dSLRs.

It is a P&S. It just has more buttons and dials and is bigger and heavier. There is no functional difference between the X10 and the F770EXR, except the F770EXR has much better reach. The IQ of the X10 is better at 800 and above as well (obviously.)

But ... what is identical between them is the presence of EXR and all that implies. The learning curve is steep because EXR has a bazillion modes, most of which are inferior in one way or another to simple PASM settings, as I document here ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.com/2009/10/fuji-f70exr-how-to-shoot-it-mkii.html

Very helpful hints in your blog! Thank you.

PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jun 20, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

rpaschal wrote:

I just bought the Tamron 17-50 2.8, a wicked sharp lens that would have no trouble spanking the X10 in my opinion.

Small world, I just got myself another Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical IF SP AF (what a mouthful) yesterday, I wouldn't call it small though, it's big even on a D200.

Paul.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
sorry, I call BS ...
In reply to gmark53, Jun 20, 2012

gmark53 wrote:

the X10 with its fast lens and ISO set to 3200 which looks like D40's ISO 1600.

The X10's 3200 looks nothing like the D40's 1600 ... as I show here ...

Honestly, I don't know why simple physics needs explaining so often on this forum ...

Kim Letkeman
Like?
the version I have is smaller ...
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jun 20, 2012

Lens based stabilization always increases the size of a lens ...

How's the acuity of your sample?

Kim Letkeman
Like?
thanks
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads