4000 th of a second synch speed witha D800 and a quadra ranger.. !

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208
Like?
Jun 19, 2012

AWSOME !

http://tombolphoto.com/blog/d800-14000-flash-sync-w-elinchrom-quadra-and-pocket-wizard-hypersync/
Peter

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mokeiko
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: 4000 th of a second synch speed witha D800 and a quadra ranger.. !
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 20, 2012

Nice setup and photos, I especially liked your Atlantic Puffin on the other page.

mokeiko

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rayman 2
Like?
In reply to mokeiko, Jun 20, 2012

mokeiko wrote:

Nice setup and photos, I especially liked your Atlantic Puffin on the other page.

mokeiko

Hi Mokeiko ! Its not my page I´m just giving you guys a headsup of the possibilities with the D800(E)
Peter

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 21, 2012
 Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Keep me lusting after more gear!
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 21, 2012

Whilst this is several kinds of awesome, I feel it's only fair to point out that a couple of humble sb600s can achieve a similar effect using the pop up flash as a commander. True, it may not be as reliable, as fast to recycle or as strong, but I think it deserves a mention. Would I like a Quadra set up though? You bet

1/2000 sec (2 lights)

1/3200 sec (2 lights)

1/4000 sec (only one light)

1/1000 sec (only one light)

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
hodnick
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: Keep me lusting after more gear!
In reply to Chas P, Jun 21, 2012

That is really awesome... thanks OP!

I'm wondering if someone similar could be done with Einsteins and Cybersyncs. I don't think by having the Cybersync on the camera its self will allow anything above 1/250 to work... but..

If you use Auto-FP with a flash on the camera (e.g. SB900/910/700) with the cybersync connected to the flash unit, you might be able to get some high syncs... I need to play around with this weekend... I like doing outdoor mid-day shoots and this would really be useful.

I already have so much invested into Cybersyncs I don't want the pain of switching to PWs (or even if they will work w/ Einsteins in that way).

Now that I wrote the above, I probably I have this is in the wrong forum now :\

JimTech
Contributing MemberPosts: 999
Like?
In reply to Chas P, Jun 22, 2012

You forgot to mention that you could carry a box of SB-XXX flashes and probably still weigh less than the battery pack on the larger strobes.
--
Don't think outside the box; assume there is no box.

rayman 2
Like?
In reply to hodnick, Jun 22, 2012

hodnick wrote:

That is really awesome... thanks OP!

I'm wondering if someone similar could be done with Einsteins and Cybersyncs. I don't think by having the Cybersync on the camera its self will allow anything above 1/250 to work... but..

If you use Auto-FP with a flash on the camera (e.g. SB900/910/700) with the cybersync connected to the flash unit, you might be able to get some high syncs... I need to play around with this weekend... I like doing outdoor mid-day shoots and this would really be useful.

I already have so much invested into Cybersyncs I don't want the pain of switching to PWs (or even if they will work w/ Einsteins in that way).

Now that I wrote the above, I probably I have this is in the wrong forum now :\

There are discussions on that here...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pocketwizards/discuss/72157626731979711/#comment72157626735815375

HYPERSNCH +D800 IS NOT LIMITED TO ANY SPECIFIC BRAND
IT CAN WORK WITH ANY STUDIO FLASH PRETTY WELL....
just give it a try...
Peter

hodnick
Like?
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 23, 2012

rayman 2 wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/pocketwizards/discuss/72157626731979711/#comment72157626735815375

just give it a try...
Peter

Cool thank you.

hodnick
Like?
In reply to hodnick, Jun 23, 2012

rayman 2 wrote:

just give it a try...
Peter

Also, as a side note for anyone else that may wonder. I can get the E640 to sync 1/8000 with the D800. To do this just use the SBxxx flash with the wire connecting to the cybersync transmitter (or comannder), make sure the camera is on Auto-FP, and have the E640 to full power.

I tested it in the studio and works, and planning on trying on my next outdoor shoot (since they tend to be mid-day).

Here's an example (just raw-> jpg in photoshop):

creative edge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?
In reply to hodnick, Jun 23, 2012

Also, as a side note for anyone else that may wonder. I can get the E640 to sync 1/8000 with the D800. To do this just use the SBxxx flash with the wire connecting to the cybersync transmitter (or comannder), make sure the camera is on Auto-FP, and have the E640 to full power.

I tested it in the studio and works, and planning on trying on my next outdoor shoot (since they tend to be mid-day).

curious as to your method, if you dont mind me asking.. where does the sbxxx flash go when you have the transmitter on the camera. Or is the sb800 or sb900 on the camera...then where would the transmitter go..

hodnick
Like?
In reply to creative edge, Jun 25, 2012

creative edge wrote:

curious as to your method, if you dont mind me asking.. where does the sbxxx flash go when you have the transmitter on the camera. Or is the sb800 or sb900 on the camera...then where would the transmitter go..

The SB-xxx is attached to the hot shoe of the camera (this will allow the camera to operate in Auto-FP mode). The SB-xxx flash will trigger the radio receiver (in my case cybersyncs) that is connected via the flash sync cord from the side of the SB-xxx into the transmitter.

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
In reply to hodnick, Jun 25, 2012

Brilliant. Thanks for the info. wow.

hodnick wrote:

creative edge wrote:

The SB-xxx is attached to the hot shoe of the camera (this will allow the camera to operate in Auto-FP mode). The SB-xxx flash will trigger the radio receiver (in my case cybersyncs) that is connected via the flash sync cord from the side of the SB-xxx into the transmitter.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,277Gear list
Like?
very cool stuff, but confused, studio lights required?
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 25, 2012

That's a great page showing the benefits of high speed sync, but after reading the thread, I'm a little confused as to whether or not this system would work with regular Nikon speedlights, such as the sb800. Your other post seems to indicate that studio lights are required.

Regardless, thanks for the post, it's quite interesting.
Kerry
--
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Octane
Senior MemberPosts: 2,989
Like?
SB-800/900 and Radiopopper
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jun 25, 2012

You are right, you can do the same thing with SB-800/900 and Radiopoppers. The advantage is that you keep full iTTL control over your flashes with every sync speed. Of course also manual control works just as well.

I made a setup combining 4 SB-800 flashes controlled by a single Radiopopper from my camera. On my SU-800 I adjust the flash output and mode as I need it and the Radiopopper transmits as a radio signal which is much more reliable than the IR method.

Another advantage using SB-800/900 is that the entire unit is small and battery powered. So I don't need to bring extra portable power.

The reason I use 4 SB-800 units is because I want to have enough flash light when shooting in full sunlight.

Dave Black has a few very good and comprehensive videos explaining and showing this setup on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHYTq9CvkA

-- hide signature --

-------David-------

Kerry Pierce
Like?
Re: SB-800/900 and Radiopopper
In reply to Octane, Jun 25, 2012

Ah, cool! Thanks a ton for the info! I'd forgotten about the Radiopoppers. IIRC, the last time I looked at them, they hadn't yet released the Nikon version with full iTTL.

I'll seek out their site and see what it will cost me.

Kerry

Octane wrote:

You are right, you can do the same thing with SB-800/900 and Radiopoppers. The advantage is that you keep full iTTL control over your flashes with every sync speed. Of course also manual control works just as well.

I made a setup combining 4 SB-800 flashes controlled by a single Radiopopper from my camera. On my SU-800 I adjust the flash output and mode as I need it and the Radiopopper transmits as a radio signal which is much more reliable than the IR method.

Another advantage using SB-800/900 is that the entire unit is small and battery powered. So I don't need to bring extra portable power.

The reason I use 4 SB-800 units is because I want to have enough flash light when shooting in full sunlight.

Dave Black has a few very good and comprehensive videos explaining and showing this setup on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHYTq9CvkA

-- hide signature --

-------David-------

-- hide signature --

David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,640
Like?
Re: very cool stuff, but confused, studio lights required?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jun 25, 2012

Kerry Pierce wrote:

That's a great page showing the benefits of high speed sync, but after reading the thread, I'm a little confused as to whether or not this system would work with regular Nikon speedlights, such as the sb800. Your other post seems to indicate that studio lights are required.

Regardless, thanks for the post, it's quite interesting.

Yes and no,

Yes it can work with regular speedlites - sb800s 1/8000

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99344557@N00/7442610702/

However, the high speed sync hack relies on a long flash duration and studio lights, most at least, are slow and get slower with less power

Speedlites get faster

So if you want to cover the whole frame at 1/8000

You need to use full power on the flash

fotoph
Contributing MemberPosts: 541
Like?
In reply to rayman 2, Jun 25, 2012

Nice.

I miss both Fort Collins and bouldering at Horsetooth.

Kerry Pierce
Like?
In reply to David314, Jun 25, 2012

Thanks for the info and the example, David. Very cool of you to upload that sample for the post.

I don't often have a need for this type of lighting, but I really like the results. Just gotta decide if it's worth the cash to let it sit in the closet a lot...

thanks
Kerry

-- hide signature --

hodnick
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Jun 26, 2012

Also for those that new(er) to high speed sync, you lose a lot of 'flash' power the faster you go. If you search online you can see exact numbers...but that's why folks like McNally and others will use 3-4 flash units together to help make up the difference in power lost.

I only own Einstein strobes, but I can confirm they work at full power up to 1/8000 (as in the cartman image above).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads