First d800 shots - non feline

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions
dpasghar
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
First d800 shots - non feline
Jun 19, 2012

I got my d800 late in the afternoon yesterday. I was cleaning my house and actually when it and lenses arrived i placed them in my office and went back to cleaning....maturity and patience who woulda thought i would develop these traits.

My screen does not have a greenish hue at all, in fact that was the one thing along with the focus point that worried me. Looks great, sharp, good contrast and looked better than my 7D.

Focus point to the left doesn't appear to have anything wrong.

My 50mm 1.8 however was grinding and unable to lock in focus. Called Nikon they are sending me new one and I'm returning. Bought a 85mm 1.8 and took a couple quick shots. Loving the cam so far.

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,481Gear list
Like?
Good first shot - are you satisfied with the DOF?
In reply to dpasghar, Jun 19, 2012
-- hide signature --

"In the days when manufactures laugh at their clients face."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpasghar
Like?
Re: Good first shot - are you satisfied with the DOF?
In reply to Raul, Jun 19, 2012

I was trying to test out the left focus point so i chose 1.8 and selected the left most focus point i believe. Im not sure exactly how to test for a faulty focus, how does this look to you? Should i be concerned? Bad test perhaps? I didn't have much time to shoot as it was getting dark out.

pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to dpasghar, Jun 19, 2012

You should be concerned that
a) you're not sure if you selected the left most focus point and
b) you are asking if that is a bad test for auto focusing problems...

i'll say one thing about Hasselblad and other MF cameras - nobody went out and bought one just to buy one.....I bet Kelby is raking it in on D800 basics classes/books/webtraining....

dpasghar wrote:

I was trying to test out the left focus point so i chose 1.8 and selected the left most focus point i believe. Im not sure exactly how to test for a faulty focus, how does this look to you? Should i be concerned? Bad test perhaps? I didn't have much time to shoot as it was getting dark out.

dpasghar
Like?
In reply to pyzon, Jun 19, 2012

I should perhaps have clarified, I selected either the focus point furthest to the left or perhaps the one right next to it. I don't have the cam with me to check the data. I just merely went outside to take a couple of test shots before the sun went down, and thought perhaps to test the left side focus point. Not claiming to be a pro and this is by no means a MF or d4 and don't think the d800 is a pure pro cam. I would like to learn however to one day get to a professional level and to be honest i have no idea how to properly test for the this problem in the d800. Just being honest.

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to pyzon, Jun 19, 2012

Don't know why people have to be obnoxious but I just wanted to say congratulations on your new D800. I have it and also have that lens and it's an awesome combo. As far as any test, you should really do it on a tripod so that there is no chance of the camera moving forward or backwards during the exposure. Use a remote or 2-second delay. Cheers.

By the way, the first image looks great.

pyzon wrote:
You should be concerned that
a) you're not sure if you selected the left most focus point and
b) you are asking if that is a bad test for auto focusing problems...

i'll say one thing about Hasselblad and other MF cameras - nobody went out and bought one just to buy one.....I bet Kelby is raking it in on D800 basics classes/books/webtraining....

dpasghar wrote:

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
dpasghar
Like?
In reply to marike6, Jun 19, 2012

thanks Marike :). Actually just got home from work and that will be the first thing I will be doing. Setting it up on tripod. I originally wanted to do that, but I rarely shoot with a tripod and wanted to make sure I could take it hand held and not have issues. Plus i was excited to finally get my d800 especially when Nikon had told me my wait time would have been double when i first put my order in.

I notice the constant salty crowd on these forums and try to ignore it. I can be salty sometimes too, i take no offense. I know there are plenty of people out there that will provide helpful advice.

I have also noticed that many of the negative "nancies" show up on most threads...hmmm, you would think since they are such camera "experts" or "professional" they would be out with their cameras and have tons of clients and appointments.

Id rather be professional, well liked and great with a camera with tons of clients who love my work refer me business one day as opposed to the expert who has few clients and lots of time to troll forums.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads