Another 16MP vs 24MP comparison.

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
Another 16MP vs 24MP comparison.
Jun 18, 2012

After the excellent test as posted by Zefelder, I thought I'd give this one a dedicated thread in here too.

Do we need more comparisons? No.
Do you have to participate? No.
Are you invited to participate? yes.

The set up:

Both of these are RAW conversions with an Adobe converter, default settings, resized to 16MP and 100% crops. Both were set to ISO 6400, 1/400s, F2.0.

A:

B:

3 questions:

• So which is from the 24MP APS-C sensor and which is the 16MP APS-C sensor?

• How sure are you about this on a scale from 1 (not so sure) to 10 (100% sure)?

• Which one of these do you prefer and why?

philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?
Re: Another 16MP vs 24MP comparison.
In reply to TrojMacReady, Jun 18, 2012

As from the other thread,

I think top is 24MP, bottom is 16MP.

Reasoning

1. Noise is more irregular in the top one (artefact of downsizing)

2. Shadows are slightly more lifted on the top one which might be indicative of 24MP's slightly more gainier sensor setup.

Other then that, they so incredibly close to me, but we know that whichever is the 24MP one will be only useful as a back up to your iPhone, and the other is so good it's rivalling the 5D3 at ISO100..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,731
Like?

They don't look exposed or maybe processed the same to me. The second one has lighter shadow areas.

I think this throws up more noise as a result.

So on the basis that the A77 has a nosier sensor I say 2nd one was the A77, confidence 5.

I prefer the first as the lighter shadows don't look natural to me but that preference is not based on noise levels jut how the images have ended up tonally.

NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?

Don't know which is which but I prefer the second one Troj. The umbrella shows slightly more detail and so do the numbers on the store front i.e. the "3".

-- hide signature --

Nick P

ck3
ck3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753
Like?

3 questions:

I know, I know, I know!

• How sure are you about this on a scale from 1 (not so sure) to 10 (100% sure)?

10! (you posted them before)

The 1st one (better colours on the TV screen)

Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 14,961
Like?

Noise looks a little finer in B. Base on that, I'd say A is 24mp and B is 16mp (50% certainty). However, I've processed between 1500 and 2000 A-77 RAW photos with LR and never simply used the defaults - not even close.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902Gear list
Like?

They are both crap! I can't make out the text on the TV in the first image and there is not enough detail for me to see who is boxing on the TV in the second image. The two pictures are just too different to make a fair comparison. They weren't taken at the exact same millisecond. Apples and oranges. They are completely useless since I can't pixel peep to my satisfaction. Just kidding.

Kidding aside, I would have a hard time picking one over the other. One has some advantages over the other and vice versa. At the end of the day, it would be hard (if not near impossible) to even see a difference between the two when printing, sizing for the web, or viewing the image regularly on your screen. The only way it would be noticeable is if you start printing in extreme sizes where you are either going on a one pixel per dot printed and viewing closer than the minimum recommended viewing distance standard (distance equals measured diagonal length of print times 1.5).

Here are my observations:

• Dark shadows appear to be holding a little more detail in image 1 (A). In image 2 (B) the dark shadows seem to lose a little detail, making it harder to notice the finer nuances within it.

• Some items in image 1 (A) seem to be holding more detail than image 2 (B), but image 2 (B) has some areas holding more detail than image 1 (A). This could just be a slight focusing difference and means nothing.

• The grain/noise is a little grittier in image 1 (A), but not by much, whereas image 2 (B) has a slightly finer grain/noise to it. Each has its qualities and comes down to personal preference and what kind of image you are trying to capture. Neither seems to be any more degrading in detail than the other.

• Some of the colors are slightly muted in image 1 (A) in comparison to image 2 (B), but can quickly and easily be rectified with a little vibrance or saturation.

My guess is that image 1 (A) is the 24MP and image 2 (B) is the 16MP. Certainty is maybe a 6. And my reason behind this is not so much as because one is superior over the other (again they are strikingly close to each other), but just noting the grain and how resizing can effect the look of this (depending on resizing methods).

But if I had to choose just one over the other, I would probably choose image 1 (A) for this particular shot since I like how some of the shadow detail was handled better.

Well, that was fun!
--
Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +21 more
CatStevens11
Contributing MemberPosts: 932
Like?

A 24 MP
B 16MP

Sure about 6

Not much difference

If they are so close at this iso I prefer strongly this one that will give me higher resolution in low iso as 99% of my shots are in 50-800 ISO

Thanks!

Trollmann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,125
Like?

This superscientific pixel peep will bring down every pixel peep from now on - this is the ultimate peep: single pixel spot on peep

TrojMacReady
Like?
In reply to Trollmann, Jun 18, 2012

Trollmann wrote:

This superscientific pixel peep will bring down every pixel peep from now on - this is the ultimate peep: single pixel spot on peep

In prefer the BAD pixel. But I could be biased, for being a bad person.

phaedin
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

The composition of this scene boring

you have no main subject - unless it is what looks like a potted plant in the bottom left thirds intersection zone, and because it is at an intersection point it draws your eye to it.

The background is too cluttered - try reducing the DOF to isolate your subject

unless the cafe/restaurant is your subject - then reposition to get an unobstructed view.

I struggle with composition and need to work on trying to capture it the way i see the scene and conveying properly (and in an interesting way)

I chose B because it has a person in it and therefore more interesting to me

Hope this helps

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
In reply to phaedin, Jun 18, 2012

im gonna have to take two pics with different rez sensors, and set the one i want to win at a lower iso. heck i could make a33 shots look better than FF. heck i can just post whatever i want, and its gotta be true bc i posted it...

TrojMacReady
Like?
In reply to Meshuggah, Jun 18, 2012

Meshuggah wrote:

im gonna have to take two pics with different rez sensors, and set the one i want to win at a lower iso. heck i could make a33 shots look better than FF. heck i can just post whatever i want, and its gotta be true bc i posted it...

Default conversions with your favorite converter. Are you throwing in the towel already? According to your theory this should be easy.

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?

My guess:
1st one is from 24MP, 2nd is from 16MP.
I would say I'm at a 9 for "sureness".

2nd one, as there is more color visible. But nothing in either of these would affect my buying decision one way or the other.

Also the couch or whatever the hell that green thing is in the background looks far more detailed in pic #2, but that could just be a focus issue.

TrojMacReady wrote:

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
rinkos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208
Like?

TrojMacReady wrote:

After the excellent test as posted by Zefelder, I thought I'd give this one a dedicated thread in here too.

The set up:

Both of these are RAW conversions with an Adobe converter, default settings, resized to 16MP and 100% crops. Both were set to ISO 6400, 1/400s, F2.0.

3 questions:

while ur doing that kind of enlargment why dont u put up a 4/3 sensor picture ..

hell if u drop down to 1600 iso u can even put one of the superzooms like fz150 and ask the same question

this is rlly not a serious even if made to deliver a point comparisonment by any kind

the Dslr's sensors from sony are set apart on the 100% level not on full size ...well mostly .

but i know that u refer to that "not so smart" thread that just brought shots with no exit to ask whats better...he did the same thing as u ....at already lessened size and not even on 100% i can probably dare u to compare all DSLR sensors made in the last 3 years on 6400iso...

Meshuggah
Like?
In reply to rinkos, Jun 18, 2012

rinkos wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

The set up:

3 questions:

while ur doing that kind of enlargment why dont u put up a 4/3 sensor picture ..

hell if u drop down to 1600 iso u can even put one of the superzooms like fz150 and ask the same question

this is rlly not a serious even if made to deliver a point comparisonment by any kind

the Dslr's sensors from sony are set apart on the 100% level not on full size ...well mostly .

but i know that u refer to that "not so smart" thread that just brought shots with no exit to ask whats better...he did the same thing as u ....at already lessened size and not even on 100% i can probably dare u to compare all DSLR sensors made in the last 3 years on 6400iso...

yea the fact somebody just did this comparison, and people all ended up picking the 16MP got troj all angry. so here he is doing the exact same thing bc he cant let it go. the fact theres no exif makes his pictures worthless, he could say whatever he wants and nobody knows the truth. worthless thread, already been proven many times. some people just cant admit their cameras are not good at everything.

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trollmann, Jun 18, 2012

Trollmann wrote:

Wouldn't both pixels just be a single color and thus close in appearance?

Looks like you are comparing one pixel square to a square comprised of thousands of 1bit pixels.

It's a trick question! -J/K
--
Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +21 more
Meshuggah
Like?
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?

rinkos wrote:

Which is exactly the point.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Meshuggah, Jun 18, 2012

Meshuggah wrote:

as you can see from the 12k 1:1 shots

Wasn't it from ISO 1600 the Sonys were worthless?

Your claims are slipping. That's what happens when you don't ground them in fact but in opinion.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads