D5100 Battery Problems

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions
jcockeri
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
D5100 Battery Problems
Jun 18, 2012

Hello

I just bought a D5100 about a week ago. After the very first charge I got about 480 RAW photos from the battery on one day of shooting before it died. Since then it won't recharge. The light on the charger will blink continously but never go solid (indicating the battery is fulyl charged). I have tried different outlets and even tried charging at a couple friends houses but nothing works. I let it charge overnight, came back in the morning and the light was still blinking. I put the battery back in the camera and it didn't even have enough charge to take 1 photo.

I'm going to be taking it back to the dealer as it is brand new and still under warantly. I'm wondering if anyone is ahving issues with the D5100 battery and if so, how did you fix them? Was your dealer cooperative?

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nickwhite
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: D5100 Battery Problems
In reply to jcockeri, Jun 18, 2012

Sounds like the battery is toast. I'd return it.

nickwhite's gear list:nickwhite's gear list
Nikon D3200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?
In reply to nickwhite, Jun 18, 2012

It's either your battery or your charger. My fully charged battery lasts forever.

Mark 100
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Aug 7, 2012

My new D5100, with a fully charged battery I got 29 pics out before it was flat.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,537
Like?
In reply to Mark 100, Aug 7, 2012

I get more than 500 on a job and the battery indicator says 1/2 full.

jcockeri
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Aug 7, 2012

Just an update as I posted this a while ago. I took it to Blacks (where I purchased it) and they were abel to charge it, so we concluded it was a charger issue. I then took it directly to Nikon in Mississauga. They were awesome! They filled the work order and gave me a new one within half an hour (usually this can take up to 2 weeks because of processing).

If your battery is still under warranty, I would take it in and get a new one. But try charging on a different station like I did because it might be the charger.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads