Here comes Apple!

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions
gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,132Gear list
Like?
Here comes Apple!
Jun 17, 2012

The line between phones and consumers level cameras is about to get very blury. All of the phone players have to be thinking along parallel lines.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/15/apple-patent-details-replaceable-back-panels-for-adding-lenses-and-advanced-camera-features/
--
Kirk

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Here comes Apple!
In reply to gulffish, Jun 17, 2012

??????????????

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
efg40
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,176Gear list
Like?

Cool! I look forward to seeing what happens with this.

-- hide signature --

Elizabeth
efg40

efg40's gear list:efg40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Uninspiring. /nt
-- hide signature --

Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Crimguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 503Gear list
Like?
Re: Uninspiring. /nt
In reply to Brian Mosley, Jun 17, 2012

Maybe uninspiring for a serious photographer, especially at this stage, but Apple knows design and UI better than any electronics maker out there. I'd be keeping this pretty high on my watch list if I were in the business of making compact cameras.

Crimguy's gear list:Crimguy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
In reply to Crimguy, Jun 17, 2012

Way too cumbersome, especially for something that already exists in a more convinient form.

http://hinterlandcameras.com/shop/

Just one example- a case that basically lets you snap on tiny lenses- they have fisheye, macro and wide now, and are soon releasing 2x and 4x teles.

Lots of others

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6158521401P?sid=IDx20101019x00001b&srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=26-146644820-2

Some basically just attach with a little magnetic ring.

Imagine how cumbersome it would be not only carring around a couple of spare phone backs, but switching them when you want to take a photo.

I really don't see this form of the idea being practical enough to go anywhere.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228Gear list
Like?

The 'backside camera' could be useful!!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, even though he doesn't really exist.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Olympus SP-500 UZ Olympus SH-50 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 +16 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,114
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, Jun 17, 2012

The Jacal wrote:

The 'backside camera' could be useful!!

Backside cameras are the major part of Olympus' business.
--
Bob

gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,294
Like?

gulffish wrote:

The line between phones and consumers level cameras is about to get very blury. All of the phone players have to be thinking along parallel lines.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/15/apple-patent-details-replaceable-back-panels-for-adding-lenses-and-advanced-camera-features/

The whole notion of the ipod/iphone is small, easy to carry. I suspect Apple's reason for this patent is to sit on it, not to use it -- and to use it to prevent others from trying to develop such items.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Mike_PEAT
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,702Gear list
Like?
But not known for making high quality products that last...

Crimguy wrote:

Maybe uninspiring for a serious photographer, especially at this stage, but Apple knows design and UI better than any electronics maker out there.

You mean making garbage that doesn't last!

Look how many iPods/iPads out there that have defective home buttons after only a few months of use, including mine.

All of my Olympus cameras are still working after YEARS of use, and they get a lot more abuse than my iPad.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
That's based on a scientific sample size of one?
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jun 17, 2012

I'm no apple fan, but my family's owned quite a few ipods and the only thing that's ever gone wrong is batteries dying after a few years. My son's ipod touch even got real wet, and once it dried out fully it works fine, several years later.

I think that if Apple really had a reliability problem, it would be well known by now, given the huge number of people who own Apple products.
--

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Crimguy
Like?
Re: But not known for making high quality products that last...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jun 17, 2012

Comparing your camera to a mass-market electronics device such as a iPod is a bit of a logical fallacy. The expected uses and treatment, and internals are all different. Your Olympus doesn't have a hard drive, for example.

My Canon SD100 was a solid little camera that wouldn't break even when I began to really abuse it. No reason Apple can't match that quality.

My 2004 powermac is still being used, with only a hard drive upgrade about 2 years ago. My brothers 2005 powermac is also getting use. Not too many PC's that can say the same.

My 2007 iMac in my office is still going strong, after my suite-mates have upgraded their windows computers at least once.
My iPhones all outlasted any other phones I've had.

In my opinion Apple products are made better than most other products of similar usage, with the exception of items that are outside their control, such as memory modules, cpus, video cards, and RAM.

THAT being said, I'm a conspiracy theorist, and believe Apple has intentionally crippled their older iOS products by creating operating systems designed to slow them down to the point of uselessness. Case in point is my iPad - it is slow as molasses with the new OS, but was zippy just 2 years ago. I can't see any innovations in the OS that would slow it down to this degree, and am forced to conclude that Apple is "encouraging" me to get a new tablet. I'd sue but it looks like other ppl have failed in this regard.

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Crimguy wrote:

Maybe uninspiring for a serious photographer, especially at this stage, but Apple knows design and UI better than any electronics maker out there.

You mean making garbage that doesn't last!

Look how many iPods/iPads out there that have defective home buttons after only a few months of use, including mine.

All of my Olympus cameras are still working after YEARS of use, and they get a lot more abuse than my iPad.

Canon EOS 5D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
gollywop
Like?
Re: That's based on a scientific sample size of one?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Jun 17, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

I'm no apple fan, but my family's owned quite a few ipods and the only thing that's ever gone wrong is batteries dying after a few years. My son's ipod touch even got real wet, and once it dried out fully it works fine, several years later.

I think that if Apple really had a reliability problem, it would be well known by now, given the huge number of people who own Apple products.

Oh come on, Bob. I'll agree that, like you, I've had, or have knowledge of, dozens of iPads and iPods, and none of them has had any real problems over many years, outside, of course, of batteries wearing out in the course of time.

But, let's face it, when one's iPod has a home-button problem, why: everyone's has a home-button problem. It only takes a sample of one in a case like that.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

Crimguy
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, Jun 17, 2012

I do really enjoy my Apple products, although their iPhone is beginning to look a bit long-in-the-tooth. Their iPhone reliability ratings have been tops for a while now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244607/smartphone_reliability_and_satisfaction_iphone_tops_the_list.html

Bob Meyer wrote:

dgrogers
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,650
Like?

They seem to know design and UI (I find their products confusing, unintuitive, and not all that attractive), but they lag in electronics and actual innovation.

Crimguy wrote:

Maybe uninspiring for a serious photographer, especially at this stage, but Apple knows design and UI better than any electronics maker out there. I'd be keeping this pretty high on my watch list if I were in the business of making compact cameras.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Jun 17, 2012

Perhaps if "prodded" Apple and Olympus could join forces...but if the case, I don't know...I certainly wouldn't buy a used one of those phones. Truly the 'humancentipad' is coming to a store near us...I saw the preliminary design on South Park.

Anyone interested can do a "Google" I've lost the link in my myriad of bookmarks.
--

http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/
"why so serious?": The Joker

rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,865Gear list
Like?
In reply to gollywop, Jun 17, 2012

gollywop wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

Oh come on, Bob. I'll agree that, like you, I've had, or have knowledge of, dozens of iPads and iPods, and none of them has had any real problems over many years, outside, of course, of batteries wearing out in the course of time.

But, let's face it, when one's iPod has a home-button problem, why: everyone's has a home-button problem. It only takes a sample of one in a case like that.

What are you trying to say? I can't follow it. You've had dozens of problem free electronics for years, but a single button issue proves the case? Weird logic.

I've always been very impressed with the build quality and overall reliability of apple products, from the desktops and laptops I serviced at work, to the handful of iphones/ipods I've used myself. The only complaint I can come up with is the cheap power cord for the iphone doesn't stand up well to abuse. Other than that, the iphone is rock solid, so I've got to disagree with you there.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
gollywop
Like?
In reply to rpm40, Jun 17, 2012

rpm40 wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Bob Meyer wrote:

What are you trying to say? I can't follow it. You've had dozens of problem free electronics for years, but a single button issue proves the case? Weird logic.

I've always been very impressed with the build quality and overall reliability of apple products, from the desktops and laptops I serviced at work, to the handful of iphones/ipods I've used myself. The only complaint I can come up with is the cheap power cord for the iphone doesn't stand up well to abuse. Other than that, the iphone is rock solid, so I've got to disagree with you there.

You seem to have some trouble with irony. Have you ever been accused of lacking a sense of humor?

-- hide signature --

gollywop

-----------

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 26,114
Like?
In reply to Lights, Jun 17, 2012

Lights wrote:

Perhaps if "prodded" Apple and Olympus could join forces...

and make an iPod that you can stick up your bottom?

-- hide signature --

Bob

T cameron
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to bobn2, Jun 17, 2012

Sadly I doubt this will ever come about. It's just another way for Apple to be a patent troll and keep the competition from having it and anyone else making advancements.

This doesn't belong in this forum anyway and should be removed.

I'm more interested in the nokia 808 with it's 41 mp camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads