D800 + iPad

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
msjhaffey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343Gear list
Like?
D800 + iPad
Jun 16, 2012

I'm going on a walking trip in two months' time. I'd like to take a D800 and iPad.

Is there an easy way to download my photos from the d800 to the iPad? I'm thinking there must be but can't figure out what it is.
--
Sean
http://www.seanhaffey.co.uk

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
f56andbethere
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
Re: D800 + iPad
In reply to msjhaffey, Jun 16, 2012

If you search for CF to iPad adapter you should find one that supposedly works.

I've never used it. On that note, I would like to know if anyone has... and/or if anyone routinely uses their iPad as a backup/storage device in the field. Does it make more sense than getting a dedicated backup device thingy?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msjhaffey
Like?
In reply to f56andbethere, Jun 16, 2012

Ah. I see Apple sells what I seek - I think. See here

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

I don't yet have my D800. Could someone who does tell me if the above-mentioned device will work?

Using an iPad as backup device means that I have the option of going back to recapture any shots I miss ... not that I would miss any, you understand ...

-- hide signature --
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
WillemB
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?

The Apple connection kit contains two smal adaptors. 1) iPad> USB, 2) iPad> SD-card.
For CF-cards you must use a cardreader with USB connector cable to > 1)

I used it for uploading from my D90. Every time you upload some pictures, the iPad makes a new file for them.
--
WillemB

WillemB's gear list:WillemB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 +1 more
Jefpix
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Tried it and it works...

May not be the fastest way to back up data, but the ipad will come in handy for many other things as well. We took the D800 and ipad3 to Joshua tree this Spring and my wife used the ipad and I used the D800. Did not use the ipad for backup, as this was a vacation and the 64GB SD card and 12GB CF card had plenty of room on them to spare.

Michel Bricteux
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

I've been using my D800 and iPad 2 for a couple of months now and they seem to work fine together. I'm using the camera Connection kit that allows me to connect my SD card and it works seamlessly. I do some post processing on the JEG files using Snapseed app. I really don't know whether the iPad uses the JPEG files or can work directly on the NEF (Ishoot NEF+JPEG). Hope it helps .
--
Michel Bricteux
http://michelbricteuxphotography.blogspot.com

Michel Bricteux's gear list:Michel Bricteux's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D3X Nikon D800 +2 more
Sophie Wilson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?

Camera connection kit works fine with D800 SD card. But importing pictures creates a low resolution (I think its 8MP) copy which most of the Apps use. The rest will blow up on the original jpeg file: its too large for them, so you don't get to inspect the pixels 1:1. Except for PhotoSmith, which can do so. Worth paying for it, especially if you use Lightroom. And it can handle the retina display... Nothing on the iPad so far can handle NEF except for the embedded jpeg thumbnail.

There is, of course, not enough memory for a long trip. Take another means of storage! IPad Hyperdrive...

Sophie

Sophie Wilson's gear list:Sophie Wilson's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Pentax K-5 IIs Sony Alpha 7R +27 more
Art Jacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583
Like?
File format
In reply to Michel Bricteux, Jun 16, 2012

An iPad has limited storage so how useful it will be depends on what file format you use to capture your images, not all 64Gb on the largest size is available as storage. If you put your images on the SD card the Apple kit should be fine but CF cars may be a little more hit and miss, initially CF cards via the USB part of the Apple camera kit and a card reader used to work but an OS upgrade in my case stopped that working with a message that the device required too much power. Recently I have purchased a card reader mad by a company called MIC, search for MIC store the seem to be sent direct from China. This reader fits directly into the port on the iPad and seems to be able to get around the power shortage situation when using CF cards, the reader also has slots for all the other card formats as well as a standard USB socket.

Gary Anderson
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: File format
In reply to Art Jacks, Jun 16, 2012

MIC card reader will work nicely with a CF card but the build quality of the device isn't the greatest. I used mine twice successfully before bending a couple of pins and rendered it useless. Get one but use it very carefully. Alternately I connect my D300 via cable to Apple Camera USB connector and transfer images to Ipad. That works with no problems. 1st edition IPad.

Gary Anderson's gear list:Gary Anderson's gear list
Nikon D4
William Faulkner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,599
Like?

msjhaffey wrote:

I'm going on a walking trip in two months' time. I'd like to take a D800 and iPad.

Is there an easy way to download my photos from the d800 to the iPad? I'm thinking there must be but can't figure out what it is.
--
Sean

There are two ways I download to the iPad from D700/D800/D4

For all of the above cameras Apple camera connect set has a USB-> iPad adapter. Use that and a cable. Reasonably fast even with D800 files. Plus you get to choose which files you actually download. Downside is that every time you hook the camera/card up the iPad is going to make a new gallery of what's on the card even if it's downloaded.

The second method, at least with the D800, is an Eye-Fi card.

Very fast. Nothing but the camera, card and iPad. Downside is it does use a noticeable amount of camera battery to get it done.

Good luck.

Bill F

https://picasaweb.google.com/faulknerstudios

Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?
In reply to William Faulkner, Jun 17, 2012

I've used the Apple Camera Connection kit with all three of my cameras, and it works fine. It is supposed to work with any camera that follows the current protocols, and I would be very surprised if it did not work with the D800.

However--and this is a big however--Apple makes it difficult to get files back from the iPad once you've put them there. What they recommend is for you to email them to yourself. That's absurd, especially for files as large as the D800 creates.

What you need is an app for transferring photos from the iPad to your computer. One that seems to work fine is PhotoSync, which you can find described at photosync-app.com. It consists of two parts: a free part that you download onto your PC and an iPad app that costs $2.00.

When you run the iPad app, it creates a miniature web server on your iPad. You can either use the PC program or point your browser at the web server. Either way, you can use it to transfer photo files in and out of your iPad. When you do it this way, you don't have to worry about them getting automatically resized.

Whatever you do, I hope it goes without saying that you should test it and verify that it works before you do anything that might rely on it.

jsr4522
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
In reply to msjhaffey, Jun 17, 2012

It's possible, I used the apple connection kit to download D7000 raw files to the new iPad on a recent trip. There were no issues transferring and reviewing photos, but the download process was very slow process. Likewise, I have yet to find a workable solution for easily getting the raw files back to the Mac. Maybe OSX Mountain Lion and the new icloud features will hopefully improve the situation. If you chose to do so, I would use the SD card for jpg backups and download those for review. For security and backup storage , take the laptop. It is much better suited for this purpose.

msjhaffey
Like?
In reply to William Faulkner, Jun 17, 2012

Thanks, Bill.

I Googled "eye-fi" and it implied you needed a router. From what you say, this sounds incorrect and you could go direct from camera to iPad. Is that correct?

-- hide signature --
msjhaffey
Like?
In reply to Andrew Koenig, Jun 17, 2012

Thanks, Andrew. I have Photosynch and like it.

The main reason for taking along the iPad (new model) is for a quick review of the photos at the end of the day.
--
Sean

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to jsr4522, Jun 17, 2012

jsr4522 wrote:

Likewise, I have yet to find a workable solution for easily getting the raw files back to the Mac. Maybe OSX Mountain Lion and the new icloud features will hopefully improve the situation.

What?! I have no problem at all.

Just plug in the sync cable, open for example Aperture, Adobe Bridge, Preview or any number of other programs and choose the option to import from Camera. All the NEF files appear in all their glory and can quickly be imported to the Mac.

Last time I tried, I had no problem doing this on a PC either.

I have done this since the first iPad appeared two years ago.

SkyDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to msjhaffey, Jun 17, 2012

msjhaffey wrote:

Thanks, Bill.

I Googled "eye-fi" and it implied you needed a router. From what you say, this sounds incorrect and you could go direct from camera to iPad. Is that correct?

-- hide signature --

Yes you can:

http://www.eye.fi/products/iphone

Bye!

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew Koenig, Jun 17, 2012

Andrew Koenig wrote:

However--and this is a big however--Apple makes it difficult to get files back from the iPad once you've put them there. What they recommend is for you to email them to yourself. That's absurd, especially for files as large as the D800 creates.

Absurd indeed. I never heard Apple "recommend" this. May I ask where you heard it?

As I just posted in the same thread, I have no problems importing RAW files from my iPad to my Mac, and last time I tried, I had no problem importing them to my PC either. It should be enough to just use the right program. I forgot what I used, but my guess is that most programs that can read D800 NEFs would be able to import the files directly from "camera" i.e. the iPad.

jonstatt
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
I use both CF and SD
In reply to f56andbethere, Jun 17, 2012

I use both a CF and SD in the D800. The CF gets the RAW files and the SD gets the JPGs. This way, I can just whip the SD out and stick it into the SD reader for the iPad without any fuss.

Jon H Laake
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to msjhaffey, Jan 25, 2013

If I try to download NEF-files from my d800e to my iPad2, the error-message is that the file format is not recognised. I never had this problem with my d90.

Jon H Laake's gear list:Jon H Laake's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads