Pocket wizard Plus III & Flex TT5

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
Mat Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
Pocket wizard Plus III & Flex TT5
Jun 16, 2012

I am trying to get these to work together. I want to use the Plus III as a trigger. Can this be done? If so how? I cannot find it...

Thanks!

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,004Gear list
Like?
Re: Pocket wizard Plus III & Flex TT5
In reply to Mat Miller, Jun 16, 2012

It will work but the flex will only work as a normal PW make sure they're both on the same channel.
--
'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DecibelPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 668
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Jun 16, 2012

Yeah you just have to plug your flex into your computer and check what your standard receive channels are set to. Then set your plus III to the same thing.

Mat Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to DecibelPhoto, Jun 18, 2012

Yep that was my issue. Thank you so much everyone!

DarkRain
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to DecibelPhoto, Jan 28, 2013

DecibelPhoto wrote:

Yeah you just have to plug your flex into your computer and check what your standard receive channels are set to. Then set your plus III to the same thing.

Hi DecibelPhoto,

I seem to have the same problem here and hoping you or another might be able to help

I've just got a FlexTT5 and Plus III for my D700. I've attached the III to the D700 and the TT5 to my SB-910 for remote flash trigger setup. I've checked the channel setting on the TT5, which is set to channel 1, and set the III to the same channel. I've followed the manual for other recommended settings including changing Nikon Custom Setting 'e1 Flash sync speed' to '1/250s (Auto FP)' and setting 910 to standard illumination pattern.

Problem is that when I test the setup the 910 is not firing. The 910 seems to be communicating with the TT5 OK. It looks like the III is not communicating with the TT5. When I press the test button on the III I get no response from the TT5 and 910.

Anyone have any ideas? The answer is probably right in front of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gadelrosario
Like?
In reply to DarkRain, Jan 28, 2013

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to the IIIs and called the MAC Group to ask about backward compatibility.  They said the III and the TT5s will work together but the TT5s need to be configured (via computer) to be just a standard trigger, not TTL.  Perhaps the way to do this is to configure C2 as standard trigger mode, set the channel and update the TT5s, leaving C1 as TTL.  I've actually done this previously because I use C2 with my Sekonic light meter.  I don't yet have a Plus III to test it with.  Please post your results - I'd love to know what comes of this.

DarkRain
Like?
In reply to gadelrosario, Jan 30, 2013

Thanks gadelrosario, I'll try this and come back to let you know. Cheers

DarkRain
Like?
In reply to gadelrosario, Jan 30, 2013

Ok. I tested and it works.

If you go into the PocketWizard Utility and into Settings>Configuration 2>Misc and check 'Basic Trigger' check box. Click on Apply Changes. Probably goes without saying that you also have to set the SB-910 to a non-TTL flash mode.

Thanks again.

gadelrosario
Like?
In reply to DarkRain, Feb 5, 2013

DarkRain wrote:

If you go into the PocketWizard Utility and into Settings>Configuration 2>Misc and check 'Basic Trigger' check box. Click on Apply Changes. Probably goes without saying that you also have to set the SB-910 to a non-TTL flash mode.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you got them working together.  I'm about to pull the trigger on the Plus IIIs myself.

Freddie Kang
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to gadelrosario, Feb 25, 2013

gadelrosario wrote:

DarkRain wrote:

Thanks again.

Glad to hear that you got them working together. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Plus IIIs myself.

I shoot with a Nikon D3s and D700 with 3 SB900's. To enjoy the convenience of iTTL/CLS, I bought one each of the AC3 Zone Controller, Mini TT1 Transmitter, and 3 sets of the Flex TT5. This works great and I love the convenience of iTTL plus the ability of powering on/off each speedlite and controlling the power of each speedlight from the camera position.  Hence I configure C1 on the TT5 to transmit ControlTL and Standard modes, but receive only in ControlTL mode.

Since I also shoot with other non-Nikon bodies and manually adjusted speedlites / strobes, I configure C2 on the TT5 to receive only in Standard mode.  This allows me to place a PW Plus III, set is to C2, and have it mounted at the triggering unit on the hot shoe of a non-Nikon body.

Set up this way, I set to C1 when I want the 3 TT5's to be used with Nikon bodies and hence enjoy the iTTL convenience.

When I need the TT5's to fire speedlites triggered by non-Nikon bodies, I just switch all the TT5's over to C2, mount a PW Plus III (selected to Channel 2) on any non-Nikon body, and now I trigger as many TT5's as required.  Of course, all flash on/off and power settings are done at the flash location.

Trust this sharing is helpful.

Fred

Freddie Kang
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to gadelrosario, Mar 10, 2013

gadelrosario wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to the IIIs and called the MAC Group to ask about backward compatibility. They said the III and the TT5s will work together but the TT5s need to be configured (via computer) to be just a standard trigger, not TTL. Perhaps the way to do this is to configure C2 as standard trigger mode, set the channel and update the TT5s, leaving C1 as TTL. I've actually done this previously because I use C2 with my Sekonic light meter. I don't yet have a Plus III to test it with. Please post your results - I'd love to know what comes of this.

Hi,

I have 3 TT5s and a Plus III, and have configures the TT5s C2 to standard non-CtrlTL mode while leaving C1 configured for TTL. Works fine. And very convenient too. When I shoot with my Nikon bodies and Nikon Speedlights, I set the TT5s to C1. Then when I shot 'non-Nikon' bodies and non-Nikon speedlights, I use C2 on the TT5s and this works well with the Plus IIIs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads