DxOMark - The natives are becoming restless ...

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
DxOMark - The natives are becoming restless ...
Jun 16, 2012

As far as I can tell, the last camera tested was the 5D about 6 weeks ago .
- randybenter , June 5, 2012

The Olympus OMD E5 was announced on 8th Feb 2012. The Nikon D3200 was announced on 14th Apr 2012. Can DXO explain as to why the OMD EM5 is still not tested and reviewed while the Nikon D3200 is already done even though it was announced TWO months later than the EM5 ?
- DXOMARK , June 14, 2012

http://forum.dxomark.com/index.php/topic,792.0.html

The usual luminaries are frothing at the mouth with their personal resentments towards DxOMark:
http://fakechuckwestfall.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/dxomark.jpg?w=584

Annointed luminaries have already placed their bets, but may be fully prepared to warp space/time depending upon whether DxOMark either blesses or condemns the prized object of occasional GAS

If DxOMark tells them what they want to hear , they can do no wrong, and are "enlightened ones"

If DxOMark does not tell them what they want to hear then they are clueless "incompetent idiots"

DxOMark's Dynamic Range specification will either be a wonderful thing because it appears to be actually derived from SNR measurements, or a travesty because it fails to measure Dynamic Range.

The best part may be seeing certain luminaries change their tune entirely, dependent on outcome

DM ...

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3200 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,120Gear list
Like?
Sharp observations
In reply to Detail Man, Jun 16, 2012

But isn't this normal human behaviour?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,700Gear list
Like?
:-) Totally agree DM

LOL DM. I wouldn't take a shot or buy a camera without it. I don't think camera's work until those results come out. The shutter is locked by DXO until they unlock it mate

All the best DM, I hear ya

Danny.
Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3

http://www.birdsinaction.com

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

Detail Man
Like?
Re: Sharp observations
In reply to tt321, Jun 16, 2012

tt321 wrote:

But isn't this normal human behaviour?

Perhaps so - but my point is that such manners of proceeding are divorced from rational behavior . Hardly seems befitting for those who may pride themselves in being "high-tech-gear-heads" ? ..

sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?
The best part about DxOMark...

...is that their findings have never affected my images at all

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Detail Man
Like?
Re: :-) Totally agree DM
In reply to nzmacro, Jun 16, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

LOL DM. I wouldn't take a shot or buy a camera without it. I don't think camera's work until those results come out. The shutter is locked by DXO until they unlock it mate

You know what they say, Danny - the sky was not blue before color television ! ...

I have myself (with my partiality towards DxO Optiques Prose) labored while shackled with even more oppressive chains - that is, DxO Optical Correction Module camera/lens combo support. Thankfully, my GH2 with my LGV 14-45mm and LGV 7-14mm lenses is now supported, as is my LX3

Am always amazed at how much vitriol some people seem to harbor towards DxO Labs. I suspect that it may have to do with public humiliations of their favorite woobies in front of their peer group

Also interesting is the phenomena of Adobe monotheism. Few belief systems maintain such rigidity.

Detail Man
Like?
Re: The best part about DxOMark ...
In reply to sunhorse, Jun 16, 2012

sunhorse wrote:

And it seems quite likely that the converse is true, as well ...

eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
Re: DxOMark - The natives are becoming restless ...

Detail Man wrote:

Annointed luminaries have already placed their bets, but may be fully prepared to warp space/time depending upon whether DxOMark either blesses or condemns the prized object of occasional GAS

If DxOMark tells them what they want to hear , they can do no wrong, and are "enlightened ones"

If DxOMark does not tell them what they want to hear then they are clueless "incompetent idiots"

DxOMark's Dynamic Range specification will either be a wonderful thing because it appears to be actually derived from SNR measurements, or a travesty because it fails to measure Dynamic Range.

The best part may be seeing certain luminaries change their tune entirely, dependent on outcome

Your analysis is correct, but also applies to any post(er) daring to give an opinion on one of the sacred cows.

Just imagine, there was an certain camera with the following traits:

• color coming off when rubbed with the naked finger

• faux leather not fitting

• some blocking completely regardless of lens used

• some blocking completely with certain native lenses

• some with imaging problems with another native lens

• scarce availability in major markets, even several months after introduction

• making humming noises if used for stills photopgraphy, not however in video recording

• rattling when turned upside down

• design with technically useless protuberance

• difficult to understand UI.

If this wonder machine was a Canikon, everyone on this forum would harp upon the tottering giants; OTOH, if I would name it on this forum, I would be called a troll. And this would be quite correct, because everyone who spent 1000 bucks on a camera like this, wants admiration for his wealth and/or daring or needs a lot of consolation.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654Gear list
Like?
In reply to eques, Jun 16, 2012

eques wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Your analysis is correct, but also applies to any post(er) daring to give an opinion on one of the sacred cows.

• making humming noises if used for stills photopgraphy, not however in video recording

If this wonder machine was a Canikon, everyone on this forum would harp upon the tottering giants; OTOH, if I would name it on this forum, I would be called a troll. And this would be quite correct, because everyone who spent 1000 bucks on a camera like this, wants admiration for his wealth and/or daring or needs a lot of consolation.

Peter.

Very well said Peter, I have had no shortage of abuse for suggesting that the E-M5 is little better {and I mean well under 1 stop} than the GX1. Directly comparing RAW files with NR off shows minimal difference and I suspect that what little difference there is could well be down to a splash of NR in the background processing of the E-M5 files. So to get back to DM's OP I would suggest that this link with a wee bit NR factored in will be pretty close

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/754 |0/%28brand%29/Panasonic

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
Detail Man
Like?
In reply to eques, Jun 16, 2012

eques wrote:

Well put, indeed. "Roboto-Woobie Obsessive Compulsion Syndrome" has now been added to the official lexicon of the Association of Concerned Psychiatrists, and Neuroscientists are now discovering that the very same tabooed limbic-brain pleasure pathways involving dopamine subtype-2 receptor binding and secondary-messenger systems light up like a Christmas tree on the PET-scanners in precisiely the same way as when various (here un-named) self-abuse rituals are engaged in by research subjects. What this forum offers is the ultimate in double-blind controls.

sunhorse
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463Gear list
Like?

Detail Man wrote:

sunhorse wrote:

Absolutely! Considering some of my more mediocre images, that's a blessing

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +6 more
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

I think the comma and full stop (period) keys are broken on your keyboard, DM. Or are you simply trying to convey your usual breathless exasperation at a world with different opinions to your own?

Can you reply without the usual abuse, name-calling and pompous inanity - it does you no credit. Try to argue your case, with eques - not me, rather than make offensive suggestions from the outset.

Detail Man wrote:

eques wrote:

Well put, indeed. "Roboto-Woobie Obsessive Compulsion Syndrome" has now been added to the official lexicon of the Association of Concerned Psychiatrists, and Neuroscientists are now discovering that the very same tabooed limbic-brain pleasure pathways involving dopamine subtype-2 receptor binding and secondary-messenger systems light up like a Christmas tree on the PET-scanners in precisiely the same way as when various (here un-named) self-abuse rituals are engaged in by research subjects. What this forum offers is the ultimate in double-blind controls.

Detail Man
Like?
As they say in Court ...
In reply to jim stirling, Jun 16, 2012

jim stirling wrote:

... I have had no shortage of abuse for suggesting that the E-M5 is little better {and I mean well under 1 stop} than the GX1. Directly comparing RAW files with NR off shows minimal difference and I suspect that what little difference there is could well be down to a splash of NR in the background processing of the E-M5 files.

... now cometh the fanboys. Yet (with the notable exception of gollywop who owns a E-M5, and AndersW who does not own a E-M5, neither of them being a "fanboy"), not a single one of the RAW-shooting E-M5 users has to date reported using RawDigger to accurately assess their maximum recorded RAW-levels in order to derive a meaningful measure of E-M5 Dynamic Range ...

Waiting for DxO has become about as useful as "Waiting for Godot". After all of the torrid and frothy activity and speculations based upon using demonstrably unreliable DPReview Studio Comparison Tools RAWs, now that users actually have the E-M5 in their hands , and full access to RawDigger , the silence seems rather odd, indeed. So it goes with "articles of faith", I suppose ?

Seems like everybody is too busy sloppily blowing-out RAW-highlights of amorphous low spatial-frequency content cloud-structures, worshipping at the alter of Lightroom 4.x "highlight recovery", and subsequently declating miracles. Have yet to see one single example of high spatial-frequency foliage-detail illuminated by first-reflection sunlight "miraculously rescued" by Lightroom 4.x posted.

DM ...

coroander
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?

What DxOMaerk says is irrelevant. They've made sure of that by the long delay.

Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154
Like?

I'm sure the vast majority are quietly getting on with using their camera while a few pseudo intellectual blowhards are pontifcating on forums.

Detail Man
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Jun 16, 2012

Bozotopia wrote:

Try to argue your case, with eques - not me, rather than make offensive suggestions from the outset.

Your relevance to this thread - or to anything else regarding technology, for that matter, is without demonstrable basis. Your sparkles of thought die quickly into the dark void of the night ...

Detail Man
Like?
In reply to coroander, Jun 16, 2012

coroander wrote:

What DxOMaerk says is irrelevant. They've made sure of that by the long delay.

Please explain the bases justifying your claims that belated = meaningless ?

Detail Man
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Jun 16, 2012

Olybore wrote:

I'm sure the vast majority are quietly getting on with using their camera while a few pseudo intellectual blowhards are pontifcating on forums.

Perhaps somewhat more interesting than garden-variety pseudo blowhards doing the very same ...

Detail Man
Like?
In reply to sunhorse, Jun 16, 2012

sunhorse wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

sunhorse wrote:

Absolutely! Considering some of my more mediocre images, that's a blessing

You may not realize it - the very future of photography hangs in the balance every time you shoot.

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,721Gear list
Like?

You must be referring to ze High Dynamic Range of the ze public opinion ja.

In ze clinical field, ve call zis femomenon Individualized Suspect Opinion or ISO for short

I hope I have shed zome light on zis topic mitout overexposing it.

Zincelery yours,

Dr Fraud

Detail Man wrote:

As far as I can tell, the last camera tested was the 5D about 6 weeks ago .
- randybenter , June 5, 2012

The Olympus OMD E5 was announced on 8th Feb 2012. The Nikon D3200 was announced on 14th Apr 2012. Can DXO explain as to why the OMD EM5 is still not tested and reviewed while the Nikon D3200 is already done even though it was announced TWO months later than the EM5 ?
- DXOMARK , June 14, 2012

http://forum.dxomark.com/index.php/topic,792.0.html

The usual luminaries are frothing at the mouth with their personal resentments towards DxOMark:
http://fakechuckwestfall.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/dxomark.jpg?w=584

DM ...

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads