Are you buying an OMD, or waiting...

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Are you buying an OMD, or waiting...
Jun 16, 2012

to see what the G5 offers, and whether Panasonic comes out with a GH3 replacement?

Just curious to know what others are thinking and why because I'm on the fence right now with buying the OMD.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,856Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you buying an OMD, or waiting...
In reply to dezignman, Jun 16, 2012

Rumors are one thing and even after any new camera or lens is announced it still takes time to get to the shelves if its not backordered.

If you have something today that meets your needs buy it and don't look back. Especially if that camera or lens is available now. By the time a new camera comes out you may not like what you see on paper and you will have no real world reviews to decide even then. Maybe a DPREVIEW editor gets a sample, but that's one opinion.

If you are going to sell current gear that will be discontinued because of a replacement and you have every intention to buy sell it tomorrow because when the new camera is announced the market will flood with the old model and the price will be lower as a seller for what you get. The person buying may benefit.

I did this when I switched from Nikon DSLR to the then Panasonic GF-1 knowing it was soon to be discontinued and I maximized the trade or sell value of that D90 set up and I was able to buy the GF-1 and three lenses I believe for what I got for the D90 stuff. So i sold one system and traded to another for about an even trade covering the same lens range from Nikon to Panasonic in a way smaller form and IMO no loss of quality.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 4,899Gear list
Like?

Too late. Everybody but you bought E-M5 already.

dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
See that...
In reply to peevee1, Jun 16, 2012

I'm still procrastinating.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,856Gear list
Like?
Re: See that...

Must be more important things on the list than a camera, thats fine, its just a camera.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,940
Like?

Went for the E-M5 because it has EVF+IBIS. I don't expect any Panny body to have this combination, so the decision was relatively easy.

Cheers,

Rick

T cameron
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Jun 16, 2012

I'm waiting. I'd like to see what's coming.

I can wait until the next OMD even to see what that offers.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
I have bought and paid for one, but I'm still waiting...

I have bought an OM-D, but I'm still waiting ! I ordered it on the 5th of March; it was expected for week 21, then delayed to week 25, then delayed again to no previsible date. I'm not even sure to get it for the summer holidays now. The name of the dealer to avoid is Microspot Switzerland.

dezignman wrote:

to see what the G5 offers, and whether Panasonic comes out with a GH3 replacement?

Just curious to know what others are thinking and why because I'm on the fence right now with buying the OMD.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,700Gear list
Like?

dezignman wrote:

Certainly waiting to see what a GH3 might have. I have cameras that already work fine, so nothing is urgent. I would decide once I see what it has to offer. If nothing is there for what I want, I might skip both the OMD and the GH3 altogether.

If I didn't already have decent cameras, then that would be different again.

Danny.
Birds and macro. NEX and m4/3

http://www.birdsinaction.com

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to nzmacro, Jun 16, 2012

Not really waiting so much as continuing to happily take photos with the gear I have. The E-M5 is a very good camera and puts quite a bit together, but still doesn't fast AF with my FT lenses or track action, and it costs $1000 body-only, which is more than I typically spend on bodies with kit lenses (E-510, E-620, E-PM1 all under $650 at time of purchase). And there's plenty of solid small DSLR's with kit lenses at around $700: D5100, T3i, SLT-A57; even the K-5 body is now $900.

I still also favor my E-620 over the smaller mFT bodies in terms of handling. There is such a thing as too small, and while I haven't handled the E-M5, it's not much different in size from my E-PM1 (which is actually pretty amazing).

Were Olympus to come out with an E-xxx with E-M5 sensor, articulated touch-OLED and 5-axis IBIS, I'd buy it. Same if they solved the FT lens compatibility and tracking issues in a somewhat larger than E-M5 mFT body.

I'll see what September/Photokina washes up on the beach and, if still nothing hits the mark, then wait for holiday price reductions on the E-M5. It does hit a lot of my needs, and at $850 or so I'd be more inclined to buy one. No rush, intro splashes fail to dazzle me.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,379
Like?
Cancelled order... twice.
In reply to sderdiarian, Jun 16, 2012

I did want this camera pretty bad. The pictures I see out of it make me want it. Then I read all the user reports on how setting the AF box size takes an engineering degree and all the little operating quirks, and I realize my GX-1 is a perfectly capable camera with awesome controls and User Interface.

I'm definitely interested in the coming Canon mirrorless offering (though I'm rather well invested in m4/3 lenses already, but I shopped wisely so I wouldn't lose any money reselling, most likely would make a little profit).

I started out with NO brand loyalty whatsoever but also discovered trying both Panny and Oly that I loved the former's UI, and hated the latter's. So though I pre-ordered the OM-D twice, I ended up cancelling both times. I have camera lust but my gut instinc tells me to stay away from it. I've learned to follow my gut

In the meanwhile truly enjoying the GX-1, it's a magnificent camera.

Marla.

MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589
Like?

dezignman wrote:

I saw this camera for the first time on Tuesday, and really felt that it was a camera that I wanted. I have been reading up on the four third cameras for the past few months and went to my local dealer to pick up the Panasonic Gx1x. After seeing the OMD on Tuesday and finding out that someone had not picked theirs up, it was a no brainer for me. The camera works well and the grip makes it a pleasure for me to use.

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrPhotoBob, Jun 16, 2012

Hi

For me, I had an E30 which I very much liked, but always felt was too big, especially with the 14-54 lens. I sold it and went with a GH1 & 14-45 and although the size problem was solved I have never really been that impressed with the results. I cannot really put my finger on it but I prefer the output from the E30. Maybe it is the colours? When the OMD came along and I saw the low light performance I was sold on it. Although the video is crippled on the OMD the nest gen GH3 will probably not have IBIS and I really missed not having that on the GH1 when using the 20mm f1.7 in low light.

The OMD does not handle as well as the GH1 (even with the grip), but actually as I get to know the OMD better the difference is narrowing. I just have to get to know the OMD a bit better, and will over time I am sure.

The output of the OMD is great though. Apart from being better in low light and the IBIS it has that something special that my GH1 does not have and for that alone was worth the upgrade for me.

It is all the camera I will need for the foreseeable future. So 3 years lets say.

-- hide signature --

Berni29

OMD, GH1 + Pana 20mm & 14-45mm (prev E30, E510, E1)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
rare wolf
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?
I would, but ...

... I'm quite happy with my Pany G3, and I'm currently purchasing lenses instead. If I knew the OM-D was just around the corner in December I may have waited, preferring Oly color and IBIS ... but I now believe I can afford to wait ...

That said, one typically waits for a very long time for Oly's top-of-line cameras to come to market, and I will be visiting Portland's Pro Photo Supply in August. A tax-free purchase will be difficult to pass up ... especially if it's a silver body only.

My CA$0.02
--
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
http://www.michael.shaffer.net/albums.html

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Jun 16, 2012

peevee1 wrote:

Too late. Everybody but you bought E-M5 already.

I believe there are still a few of us in the pre-ordered and still not delivered stage .

At least now my local camera store salesman has heard back from the Oly Rep and my camera is on its way to the store. I should have it early this upcoming week. I had pre-ordered back in mid-March.

Dave
--

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +25 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,469Gear list
Like?
Re: Option #3..

I'm not buying OMD
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: I have bought and paid for one, but I'm still waiting...
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jun 16, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

I have bought an OM-D, but I'm still waiting ! I ordered it on the 5th of March; it was expected for week 21, then delayed to week 25, then delayed again to no previsible date. I'm not even sure to get it for the summer holidays now. The name of the dealer to avoid is Microspot Switzerland.

. . . I've read here more than once that the OMD is widely available in Germany. Is my geography knowledge flawed or couldn't you just cross the border and pick one up? Would Microspot refund your money if you cancelled with them? Just asking.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?

I'm going to buy one, when I have the funds.

I've held a black version and it was tempting to buy it with a credit card...

My current excuse to hold off is that I want to compare black and silver models at the same time. That might buy me some more time...

The EM-5 just ticks just about all the boxes for an upgrade from my PL1 -

• better high ISO performance

• better AF speed

• built in EVF

• better burst rate

• fold out screen

• better resolution

• I suppose weathersealing is nice

The only thing it doesn't have that would be nice is a small pop up remote-capable flash like the PL-1.

If they manage to build the same sensor and at least part of the IBIS system into a new PL camera in the fall, that might also be a contender I suppose, though I would think they'd leave the EVF and weathersealing out of a PEN.

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,536Gear list
Like?

Waiting for a more complete package from either Panny or Oly. m5 is missing too many things I use on a regular basis.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Both. Bought an OMD and now I must wait ;-)

dezignman wrote:

Well... I am interested to see what Panasonic does next, but the E-M5 seems to offer what I want now (or whenever it's back in stock).

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D70 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads