Do D800 users regret not getting the D800E?

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
nikhgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551
Like?
Do D800 users regret not getting the D800E?
Jun 15, 2012

Just wondering, for those of who got the D800s, do you guys regret you didn't get the E version?

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
Not al all nt
In reply to nikhgan, Jun 15, 2012
-- hide signature --

"In the days when manufactures laugh at their clients face."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VadimOm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?
Re: Do D800 users regret not getting the D800E?

I shoot mostly people/portraits/weddings and use a lot of skin smoothing plugins, so the extra sharpness/resolution of E would be more of a hassle than an advantage.
--
Vadim
http://www.VadimPhoto.com

LandoftheCleves
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to VadimOm, Jun 15, 2012

VadimOm wrote:

I shoot mostly people/portraits/weddings and use a lot of skin smoothing plugins, so the extra sharpness/resolution of E would be more of a hassle than an advantage.
--
Vadim

If that's the case, what went into your decision to get the D800 to begin with? Why is the extra sharpness/resolution of the D800 over other cameras not more of a hassle than an advantage?

VadimOm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?
In reply to LandoftheCleves, Jun 15, 2012

Dual card slot was the main reason for my upgrade. I would have preferred lower resolution camera (12 or 16mp) but D4 is too expensive and D3s is too big (and still more expensive than D800). Plus both my D700 are nearing their shutter life limits (120k and 150k clicks on them), with grips falling off and flash hot shoes completely messed up (wobbling and causing constant flash misfires).

Excited to use video capabilities for some personal projects.

LandoftheCleves wrote:

VadimOm wrote:

--
Vadim

If that's the case, what went into your decision to get the D800 to begin with? Why is the extra sharpness/resolution of the D800 over other cameras not more of a hassle than an advantage?

-- hide signature --
ugleefuna
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?

i had D800, returned it for D800E two weeks ago, still waiting, after seeing the details from D800, i want it more. it's an addiction.

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
Re: Not al all nt
In reply to Raul, Jun 15, 2012

+1

Nope, not one bit.

I took a few shots of our new Schnauzer puppy last night with my new 85mm f/1.8 and his coat was so freeking sharp in the photo you'd think you would cut your finger on it. Naaa, I don't need the E, plus I shoot operas at times so I don't want to take the chance with the costumes.

Raul wrote:

-- hide signature --

"In the days when manufactures laugh at their clients face."

-- hide signature --

Allen
I yam what I yam and that's all that I am. Popeye

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
LandoftheCleves
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to VadimOm, Jun 15, 2012

VadimOm wrote:

Plus both my D700 are nearing their shutter life limits (120k and 150k clicks on them), with grips falling off and flash hot shoes completely messed up (wobbling and causing constant flash misfires).

I suppose that would indeed call for a replacement or two!

Tim S
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?

Yes and no. The perfectionist in me wants, the realist in me says it doesn't really matter, it's the photograph content that counts after all.

Tim

SeanU
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
I did it my way

I've shot, I've peeped and cried
I've had moiré fill, my share of aliasing
And now, as sharpness subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

-- hide signature --
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059
Like?
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
In reply to Tim S, Jun 15, 2012

Tim S wrote:

Yes and no. The perfectionist in me wants, the realist in me says it doesn't really matter, it's the photograph content that counts after all.

Tim

Wow, nice capture. What lens did you use and the name of that bird.
Thanks

f56andbethere
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?

I have ordered the D800E, just to have "the option" over my D800.

But honestly, it seems that in order to notice much of a benefit over the D800, the camera should be on a tripod to eliminate any camera shake, probably with mirror up mode, etc. and with an aperture right in the sweet spot... somewhere between f/2.8 and f/5.6 depending on the lens.

So for landscape photographers that opt for the E, and who often shoot at f/11 or f/16... what are they gaining over the D800? At that point, don't they equal out?

Dean Baird
Contributing MemberPosts: 595Gear list
Like?
In reply to f56andbethere, Jun 15, 2012

You don't always have to shoot smaller than f/8.

Whatever the D800 is, the D800E is a wee bit more so. Worried about moire? Close down and let diffraction be your friend.

What I haven't seen (maybe I'm not looking hard enough) is examples where the E image was moire-ified while the D800 image was smooth.

f56andbethere wrote:

So for landscape photographers that opt for the E, and who often shoot at f/11 or f/16... what are they gaining over the D800? At that point, don't they equal out?

-- hide signature --
 Dean Baird's gear list:Dean Baird's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +8 more
f56andbethere
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to Dean Baird, Jun 15, 2012

True, but...

It seems that much above f/8, the diffraction affects the E more than the D800, and thus, it seems to kill some of the extra detail resolved by the E. DPreview's review showed this pretty well.

At, say, f/4.5 the E resolves slightly more detail than the 800. But then at, say, f/11... both cameras appear nearly identical straight out of camera because of the diffraction limiting the E at that point.

Am I misinterpreting that?

Dean Baird wrote:
You don't always have to shoot smaller than f/8.

Whatever the D800 is, the D800E is a wee bit more so. Worried about moire? Close down and let diffraction be your friend.

What I haven't seen (maybe I'm not looking hard enough) is examples where the E image was moire-ified while the D800 image was smooth.

f56andbethere wrote:

-- hide signature --
AZBlue
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
In reply to f56andbethere, Jun 15, 2012

It's funny how prior to the shipping of these cameras, many hypothesized that the D800E would be better suited to landscape photographers. Now we find out, through actual photographic tests, that the D800E has no advantage over the D800 for landscape photographers at the apertures most photographers use.

Let's put it this way... if you are hanging your photos in a gallery, or even selling fine art prints online, the person viewing your work will never be able to tell the difference between a D800 and D800E image. Actually let me amend that. The D800E image could easily be spotted if it captured moire where the D800 did not. Otherwise it's pretty much a wash in my book.

The way I look at it, D800E images require little or no sharpening at full resolution to get the most out of the image. The D800 still requires sharpening, but doing so will also give you results indistinguishable from the D800E along with a lower likelihood of moire. If you hit moire, even if rare, your image may not be sellable. To avoid moire you would either have to check out each shot at 100% size in the field, or take different versions of each shot using slightly different apertures or positions.

I think we are really splitting hairs here.

f56andbethere wrote:

I have ordered the D800E, just to have "the option" over my D800.

But honestly, it seems that in order to notice much of a benefit over the D800, the camera should be on a tripod to eliminate any camera shake, probably with mirror up mode, etc. and with an aperture right in the sweet spot... somewhere between f/2.8 and f/5.6 depending on the lens.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
chiumeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?

got one of each
the D800E married with the 85 1.4G
the D800 to the 28-300 for everyday jobs

nikhgan wrote:

Just wondering, for those of who got the D800s, do you guys regret you didn't get the E version?

chiumeister's gear list:chiumeister's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Leica M9 Canon EOS-1D X Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
RumpelHund
Regular MemberPosts: 161
Like?

Ordered myself both and now have both on my shelf. Tests with 1.4/24 and 1.4/85 did not show much of a difference wide open.

But stopped down, or with the 4.0/300 at any aperture, the D800 just won me all over. On pixel level only, for sure, but with higher ISO or bright light even handheld (3 times focal length for my shaky hands, same as D700 for me) shows the difference.

Ebaying the D800, keeping the D800E.

Price difference is a pain, but over the next 3 years I won't remember much I hope. And the feeling (and having a D800 is for feeling at least half of the want) spending so much and not having exactly what I wanted is worth the money.

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,783Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tim S, Jun 15, 2012

D800 is a great camera and you got a fine picture there but at that size it does not prove anything. Any dslr on the market from any companies will be able to produce that.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
AtomicPunk
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

The only thing I regret is having a D800 that didn't focus correctly and having to send it to Nikon not once, but twice to get it fixed. Still waiting for the 2nd repair to get returned to me.

AtomicPunk's gear list:AtomicPunk's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads