High ISO test (comparing sensors)

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
zefelder
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
High ISO test (comparing sensors)
Jun 15, 2012

Below are some high-ISO low light test photos I shot today to compare different sensors. I need your help to determine which images have better IQ.

Please look and tell what image looks better to you, why better and whether you think the difference is significant for practical use:
1) Image A or B?
2) Image C, D or E?

Note that to see the photos at full resolution you need to click "(Original)" link above each photo.

Once we have enough data, I'll tell exactly I what and how I tested and post EXIF.

Group 1:

Group 2:

Thanks!

Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,151Gear list
Like?
Re: High ISO test (comparing sensors)
In reply to zefelder, Jun 15, 2012

All I can say is "thank god there's batteries in the shot." It will have credibility that way.

And I assume from looking that one set was shot JPEG, and the other RAW.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dr jim
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,198Gear list
Like?

Not a gnat's ass worth of difference in my eyes. In my opinion, if I have to search for minor differences, then if they are there, they are irrelevant.
--
Just for fun!

Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7S
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?

They all look good to me!!
--

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Tom Harvey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487Gear list
Like?

As others have said, there is not a massive difference. I would rate them...

Group 2 is better than Group 1

Image A is better than B
Image C is better than E is better than D

Do I win?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Tom Harvey's gear list:Tom Harvey's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +27 more
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?
Ok, I'll bite

I find myself preferring image B. The fine detail in that image looks more realistic, even though I do see traces of color noise. Somehow, the noise in image A feels heavier. (I'm guessing that the difference between A and B is mainly due to noise reduction algorithms?)

1) Image A or B?

C is slightly better than D in my opinion, although in well lit areas the difference is not obvious.
However, I'm having a hard time deciding between C and E.

C seems a little noisier, but E has rougher grain. In the end, I'll take either C or E happily - there's practically no difference in terms of detail retention. I might see it a difference on a second look, but for now, I'll say that C and E are pretty much equal.

2) Image C, D or E?

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Photoviewer
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to Tom Harvey, Jun 15, 2012

All are very good.
My try:
Group 1 : B the A
Group 2 : E = C then D

Fun

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,356Gear list
Like?

I think group 2 looks better than group 1. It has a finer grain and is lacking the blotchy/smeared looked that group 1 has. Group 2 also seems to have a little better fine line detail when it comes to the letters and numbers with a little more color retention.

If viewed at full size on the screen, Group 2 would be more pleasing to the eye. If both were resized for web viewing, it would probably be a crap shoot between the two. When it comes to printing, at small prints the difference would be negligible. At larger prints, Group 2 would most likely have the advantage.

Having said that, from comparing the two groups, I'd have to say that some pictures from group 1 were taken with the same camera as those in group 2. Pictures A and D seem to have come from the same camera: when you superimpose one over the other, everything lines up perfectly. The same can be said for pictures B and C. The only one not lining up is E, it doesn't line up to any of the other photos.

Is one group just the JPEG straight out of the camera and the other group the RAW files with a little post processing?
--
Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +24 more
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?

Sounds like fun!

A and B Comparo:
They tie for me, here's why

A - slightly less detail, slightly less exposure in the shadow region, but nice tonal response

B - slightly more pixel level detail, more exposure in the shadow region, but has colour banding

C/D/E Comparo:
Again, no real winner for me

C: Marginally nicer grain in a couple of places and maybe a marginally better colour/tone response

D: Marginally worse detail, looks to have a smidge of pixel level sharpening artefacting on some high contrast detail, and marginal banding/tone response issues
E: Close to D, can't really see anythng of significance.

As a guess, A/B are JPEG, C/D/E are RAW..

I would say that for this particular image, viewing at 50% or less, the smoother/less pixel level detail A/B look nicer, the C/D/E processing brings a harshness to the OOF areas..

So depending on what I was doing with them, I'd probably say A/B would print better, you have to zoom in far too much to see the theoretical detail increase in C/D/E

Just IMO of course!

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,356Gear list
Like?

I forgot to do an individual comparison.

If comparing the images in their own groups, I would have to say that A is more pleasing to the eye than B in group 1. As for group 2, it's a toss up. I find some advantages in one photo but will find an advantage in another photo. But the differences are so minor, you would have a hard time being able to tell in a print or regular viewing.
--
Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +24 more
Meshuggah
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Jun 15, 2012

a is the worst noise, and distorts the details. b is slightly better, still is 2nd to last. c looks the sharpest but has a bit more noise than d and E. E has the least noise but isnt as sharp as d or c. so, to clarify and sum it up:

noise lvls drop, going from a with the most noise, to E with the least. c is the sharpest, d is the 2nd sharpest, e is the 3rd sharpest. a and b are both so noisy they dont compare to the last three.

EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,572Gear list
Like?
In reply to dr jim, Jun 15, 2012

dr jim wrote:

Not a gnat's ass worth of difference in my eyes. In my opinion, if I have to search for minor differences, then if they are there, they are irrelevant.
--
Just for fun!

Jim

jim

I came back to this thread and it stopped at your post , and I had to laugh.. its not your usual critique... LOL I think it made my day..
This High ISO crap is just that !
g'nats ass indeed

Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,776
Like?

Well A and B are the worst but for some reason they are of a much smaller file size than C,D and E so not sure if compression has screwed these files up (A & B that is). However ignoring this anomaly, C,D and E are more detailed than A and B.

Out of A & B, B is the worst for noise as it exhibits colour noise on the white face of the scales at 100% whereas A doesn't but then again B looks slightly more detailed than A. I reckon if you had the RAW of B you could get rid of the colour noise in Lightroom and it would be better than A.

Out of C, D and E I would say there is hardly anything in it. If I had to pick one as best it would be D but this is just a tad brighter on the face of the scales so that may explain that.

C, D, and E all exhibit similar levels of luminance noise on the scales an no chroma (colour) noise that I can see.

Interestingly filling the screen with any of them on a 19inch monitor and they all look fine.

Kappels
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
In reply to dr jim, Jun 16, 2012

+1
Stef.

dr jim wrote:

--
Just for fun!

Jim

Kappels's gear list:Kappels's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +21 more
Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042
Like?
In reply to Kappels, Jun 16, 2012

If I had to pick one, based upon clarity, then it would be C.

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,517Gear list
Like?
In reply to zefelder, Jun 16, 2012

They all look good to me when viewed at screen filling size on my 24" monitor. I know some will say that 1600 pixel width isn't big enough but from a practical sense even for making rather large prints they are all good. If I was forced to choose I would pick "C" as the one that seems best but it's splitting hairs.
--
Tom

Look at the picture, not the pixels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, Jun 16, 2012

Who cares. This is a dead horse. Those who care about their cameras and sharing and learning need to take back these forums and collectively ignore the whiners and trolls. Use your real name in posts. Dont show us pictures of lions or Sasquatch taken at the zoo. Do show us your smiling grandchildren, vacation, and trips to your backyard. End the stupidity guys.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
inFocus
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
Re: Well...
In reply to OntarioJohn, Jun 16, 2012

... you are whining, anonymous and off topic. Seems you should ignore stupidity rather than be a part of it. You see; it is not mandatory to post here.

As for the topic; I do not see any practical difference between the images. They are all marvellous examples of the image quality that can be produced from current camera technology.

OntarioJohn wrote:

Who cares. This is a dead horse. Those who care about their cameras and sharing and learning need to take back these forums and collectively ignore the whiners and trolls. Use your real name in posts. Dont show us pictures of lions or Sasquatch taken at the zoo. Do show us your smiling grandchildren, vacation, and trips to your backyard. End the stupidity guys.

-- hide signature --

What's that noise?

JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,995Gear list
Like?
error
In reply to inFocus, Jun 16, 2012

wrongly placed in thread

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,995Gear list
Like?
In practical terms...
In reply to zefelder, Jun 16, 2012

there's probably not much difference between them all, but here are my observations and preferences:

A: Noise a bit blotchy and detail a little soft

B: Less noise than A, but still somewhat blotchy, and detail about the same, so B woiuld be my pick in Group 1

C: More noise than A or B, but a more even, granular noise and sharpest detail to date.
D: Crap shoot on the noise with vs C, but detail a little less sharp than C.

E: Crap shoot on the detail vs C, a little worse noise vs D, but a little sharper on the detail than D.

To me, I'd pick Group 2 over Group 1, and C overall for the best balance between nice even granular noise and best detail overall.

-- hide signature --

Jerry
Sony V1, H5 and A350... Still learning...

'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.'
-- Dorothea Lange

http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/root

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads