B&H was the worst place to order from!

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,452Gear list
Like?
B&H was the worst place to order from!
Jun 15, 2012

ALL of my friends ordered D800's from B&H and all backed up with orders from Best Buy, Amazon and local stores. Out of 10 of us not one person got their camera from B&H. Most got them from Amazon, like me. A few from local stores and Best Buy.

My D800 was ordered from Amazon on March 26th. I got it yesterday. One of my friends ordered a week AFTER me and got their D800 a whole week sooner!

Anyway...happy it's here and it has perfect AF. Great cam!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?
Re: B&H was the worst place to order from!
In reply to Shotcents, Jun 15, 2012

I don't understand why B&H is at fault, its not like they are hoarding all the D800's and selling them on E-bay at $1000 over invoice! As you pointed out everyone ordered from B&H and they can only sell what Nikon gives them. I cancelled my March 28 order from Amazon last month and got my D800 locally and I only waited about two weeks for it.

Happy shooting with your new D800!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to trend1, Jun 15, 2012

trend1 wrote:

I don't understand why B&H is at fault, its not like they are hoarding all the D800's and selling them on E-bay at $1000 over invoice! As you pointed out everyone ordered from B&H and they can only sell what Nikon gives them. I cancelled my March 28 order from Amazon last month and got my D800 locally and I only waited about two weeks for it.

Happy shooting with your new D800!> > >

I'm not saying anyone is at fault, just that B&H is unable to get the cameras, which ARE available elsewhere. I got a call from Best Buy two days ago (Strousberg PA location) and they had the D800 as well, though mine had just shipped.

So again, I'm not blaming anyone, just pointing out that B&H may be the worst place to order a high demand item like this in the future.

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
diverroy
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?
-- hide signature --

'Always look on the bright side of life'

Now that many of you are getting your cameras elsewhere and cancelling your orders with B&H the back order list should be smaller and those that are waiting should get their camera quicker.
I got mine from my local store in the UK around April 20th and it works 100%
Diverroy

iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

My D800 was ordered from Amazon on March 26th. I got it yesterday. One of my friends ordered a week AFTER me and got their D800 a whole week sooner!

Yes, many people were burned by the B&H D800/E experience. Shows what happens when one store takes a disproportionate share of the pre-orders, but does not receive a disproportionate share of product deliveries. As I've mentioned before, it's like going to a bank with numerous tellers. Thousands of customers line up at the B&H teller first thing in the morning, while other tellers have maybe a dozen people in their lines. Given that the tellers, on average, work at the same rate, it's easy to predict that the B&H customers who weren't first in line are in for a very long wait.

In any event, glad to hear you got your problem-free D800. I was similarly fortunate - my local dealer came through. Look forward to hearing your further observations. Regards. -iwbs

Neous
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?

Good to hear
what lens did you test it with

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Neous, Jun 15, 2012

Neous wrote:

Good to hear
what lens did you test it with> >

24-70 2.8, 70-200 VRII, 50mm 1.8 AF-S, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 180 macro. All AF points were matching, or if they differ I can't tell.

Robert

lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

ALL of my friends ordered D800's from B&H and all backed up with orders from Best Buy, Amazon and local stores. Out of 10 of us not one person got their camera from B&H. Most got them from Amazon, like me. A few from local stores and Best Buy.

As long as you are happy, that what counts. But be careful the B&H blind believers will start stoning you.

Maji
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?

I think the volume of pre-orders with B&H speaks volume of the trust that people have in B&H. No doubt about it.

However, B&H bungled this very badly. They blame Nikon for it, but Nikon did not ask B&H (or anyone for that matter) to take pre-orders. The lack of information from B&H about the position in the pre-order line was at best incompetence. It was more like arrogance... we know what is better for the user... or they don't need it... etc. There are lot of B&H defenders here who jump in to criticize anyone who dare points out shortcomings on B&H's part. They, and I, have over the years ordered many items from B&H and have got great service, so are hesitant to criticize B&H. However, this arrogant attitude by B&H (and Adorama too) was very very unprofessional.

Maji's gear list:Maji's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
PaulBearer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479Gear list
Like?
Do you have to be inflammatory? Do you need that much attention?

Supply has always been erratic. Many of us who buy from or shop at B&H have always been satisfied with its selection, prices, availability, and product knowledge, which is why we go there.

But, when products are in very short supply, you are just as likely to walk into Best Buy and find a $3000 camera sitting on a shelf because photographers don't usually go there looking for such a product - not the least of the reasons is that the salespeople know virtually nothing about such products, and they don't have good filters to protect your lens, or even a decent selection of lenses. They had the D7000 drifting in when no one else had them - I walked in a week after the camera was released and bought it off the shelf, as an impulse - of course, I had to take it with the kit lens which I didn't want or need, and can't get rid of - but I wanted a good camera to take videos of my new puppy, so the idiot at the counter got credit for the sale.

Today, Amazon posts the D800 as "out of stock." Lots of information that provides if you want the camera soon.

If you really need the camera, place your orders in multiple places and sit back and wait for someone to call or e-mail that it's in. Or you do as I did and develop a good relationship with a local store where you go in frequently to buy your printer inks, bags, and other accessories, that may put you on the waiting list before you even ask, as did I. As a result, I've had my D800 for months, and my D400 for a month or more - that's what you get when you are loyal and have bought several cameras before.

in the meantime, why trash a perfectly good company - you got the camera, what's the big deal necessitating the inflammatory headline? Not like B&H promised you the camera in February, knowing they couldn't deliver.

henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,600Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you have to be inflammatory? Do you need that much attention?
In reply to PaulBearer, Jun 15, 2012

PaulBearer wrote:

Supply has always been erratic. Many of us who buy from or shop at B&H have always been satisfied with its selection, prices, availability, and product knowledge, which is why we go there.

SNIP

in the meantime, why trash a perfectly good company - you got the camera, what's the big deal necessitating the inflammatory headline? Not like B&H promised you the camera in February, knowing they couldn't deliver.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
PatFahey
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
Does Amazon pay??

Shotcents wrote:

Robert

You have to wonder, knowing that this site is owned by Amazon, how many of these "Amazon is great - [the competition] is the devil" posts are placed by people being compensated by Amazon for doing so.

Anyone want to 'fes up?

No, I didn't think so.

Reader beware!

-Pat

WantaPannySoon
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
In reply to henryp, Jun 15, 2012

Henry, you crack me up. You say that the difference between B&H and other stores is that you are here on this forum, answering customer concerns. But on thread after thread, people continue to express their complaints and concerns about B&H's inability to handle its orders, and rather than using the forum to provide useful information or try to answer peoples' concerns, the only thing you ever actually seem to do is to pop up to say "thanks" whenever somebody comes to B&H's defense.

Is that why you are here? What's the point??

Stevenab
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?

Not sure I would bash B&H. Maybe they should have not taken orders at all, but trying to keep customers happy is a double edge sword.

And then there is the final straw, D800's at Walmart!! Really Nikon!!

That's a channel strategy?? Walmart!!

-- hide signature --

Steven
D300 & D800, 14-24f/2,8, 24-70f/2.8G, 70-200f/2.8VR and sb800
http://www.stevenboston.com

PatFahey
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
Now we know where all the returned D800 cameras went.
In reply to Stevenab, Jun 15, 2012

Stevenab wrote:

And then there is the final straw, D800's at Walmart!! Really Nikon!!

That's a channel strategy?? Walmart!!

Maybe now we know where all of those returned D800s are ending up, eh?

Where next, Overstock.com? The Invicta wristwatch channel??

-Pat

nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998
Like?
In reply to WantaPannySoon, Jun 15, 2012

WantaPannySoon wrote:

Henry, you crack me up. You say that the difference between B&H and other stores is that you are here on this forum, answering customer concerns. But on thread after thread, people continue to express their complaints and concerns about B&H's inability to handle its orders, and rather than using the forum to provide useful information or try to answer peoples' concerns, the only thing you ever actually seem to do is to pop up to say "thanks" whenever somebody comes to B&H's defense.

It seems to me HenryP's more anxious to engage in damage control than assist pre-order customers with their questions. That's not a bad thing per se, but the way he's handled it has made B&H appear disingenuous. JMO.

Because ... someone has to pet the shills?
--
design guy

TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Does Amazon pay??
In reply to PatFahey, Jun 15, 2012

PatFahey wrote:

You have to wonder, knowing that this site is owned by Amazon, how many of these "Amazon is great - [the competition] is the devil" posts are placed by people being compensated by Amazon for doing so.

You're kidding, right ?

B&H flopped. There is no arguing that.
Don't try and claim that the complaints are paid for.
People are frustrated and have a right to be.
Otherwise HenryP wouldn't be here apologizing non-stop.

Do you really think Amazon needs to pay for PR on some photography web site?

Compared to everything else they sell, how much of their web site is photographic supplies?
Correct... not a lot.

They don't need the help in promoting themselves... their pricing and service seem to do that quite well.

TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
In reply to nunatak, Jun 15, 2012

nunatak wrote:

WantaPannySoon wrote:

Henry, you crack me up. You say that the difference between B&H and other stores is that you are here on this forum, answering customer concerns.

Maybe in the case of other stores, they aren't needed. Which is telling.

But on thread after thread, people continue to express their complaints and concerns about B&H's inability to handle its orders, and rather than using the forum to provide useful information or try to answer peoples' concerns, the only thing you ever actually seem to do is to pop up to say "thanks" whenever somebody comes to B&H's defense.

It seems to me he's more desperate to engage in damage control than assist pre-order customers with their questions.

In fairness, this isn't the place to deal with orders.
But it is a place he can try some sort of damage control.
His job is to Google search bad comments about B&H and go try and fix them...
not look into orders and give specific reassurance.

Not picking on him, just pointing out the reality.

And I don't think comments like "I am here, where is Amazon's rep?" are professional, nor do they make up for the very vague responses.
I don't need an Amazon PR rep here saying "thanks".

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,392Gear list
Like?
In reply to WantaPannySoon, Jun 15, 2012

Yes what's the point since any explanation Henry provides is at best ignored at worst misinterpreted.

Case in point: your post.
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,392Gear list
Like?
B&H is among the top places to order from!

Just had a wonderful experience from them. Box dented during shipping. Concerned that the content may have suffered. Returned everything. B&H accepted the return without question, and offered to ship another package right away at their expense. And they apologize for the inconvenience. Top service!

That's why so many ordered from B&H and that's why they are way behind in delivering the cameras. Nothing more and nothing less.
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads