XP1: are your strap lugs showing extreme wear/

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
tom e
Senior MemberPosts: 2,907
Like?
XP1: are your strap lugs showing extreme wear/
Jun 15, 2012

Another forum has a thread suggesting that the strap lugs on the XP1 are made of a too soft metal, and that the little Fuji strap triangles are causing marked wear on the lugs. This may also be happening with split rings, but it seems the triangles are the major offender.

I think there are more readers on this forum so I was wondering who is or is not seeing lug wear.

I have not noticed any on mine, but I have not stressed my camera much so far.
--

kiw
kiw
Regular MemberPosts: 167Gear list
Like?
Re: XP1: are your strap lugs showing extreme wear/
In reply to tom e, Jun 15, 2012

I dont have that problem and I have used my X-Pro1 8 ours pr. day in two month..

kiw's gear list:kiw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FDL37
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?

Trolls are very inventive indeed!
--
Fran├žois

dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
In reply to FDL37, Jun 15, 2012

FDL37 wrote:

I seriously doubt this is trolling.

Both X100 and X-Pro1 have very soft lugs that paired with the triangle clips show wear after moderate using. Some cases are even extreme.

Regards

Geoffrey Kitt
Contributing MemberPosts: 740Gear list
Like?
In reply to dengx, Jun 15, 2012

I recall seeing a picture of this wear (though I think it was on an X100) - but I can't remember if it was on this forum or elsewhere.

It looked alarming enough for me to decide to keep an eye on the condition of the lugs on both my XP1 and X100!

So far no problem .........

Geoff
--
http://www.pbase.com/gDallasK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gDallasK

Geoffrey Kitt's gear list:Geoffrey Kitt's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 Canon EOS 100D Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
dengx
Like?
In reply to Geoffrey Kitt, Jun 15, 2012

X100 and X-Pro1, two quick searches:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=40754091

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php?/topic/4873-fujifilm-triangle-rings-causes-lug-wear/

Personally I used the triangle clips on X100 and my lugs show some moderate wear, nothing extreme but concerning enough.

Since then I've bought Luigi's straps and used one on my X-Pro from the start, so far - no problems but I'm pretty sure that it will wear too, just at a slower pace.

Regards

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

It's not trolling, unfortunately. The lug wear issue is a known issue.

That being said, no one has reported their lugs wearing all the way through, so at least there's that.

In the meantime though, I've switched to a thicker "D" triangle ring on my X-Pro1, and circular rings on my X100, to hopefully slow down the wear. (I have very visible wear on both cameras)

FDL37 wrote:

--
Fran├žois

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

FDL37 wrote:

You are an abject clown. This wear issue has been around for some time with the X100 and clearly the X Pro 1 uses the same too soft metal for the lug straps. Wear is definitely an issue. My X100 show very significant wear.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947Gear list
Like?

I did with the X Pro1 what I did wit the X 100 : replacing the triangle by pieces of black shoe laces, the thickest I could get through the lugs
With good black tape and careful work it's ok and very strong

Moreover ot give a better progressive mobility of the neck strap arouand the lugs
Not theoretically wonderful but practically effective!

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,396Gear list
Like?
Let me make sure I understand...

So is the wear on the lugs such that they are about to give-way and the strap falls off and the camera is damaged or.. is it that the lug simply shows a bit of use?

I can understand the concern if the camera was somehow going to be damaged but simple wear on a strap lug is nothing critical.

If you use a camera, it will eventually show a bit of wear.. I don't see a problem.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,527
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 15, 2012

The strap lugs is a pretty significant issue with the X100 and Xpro1. It seems that they are made of the same metal but I don't know for sure. I used the triangle rings on my X100 for about a year and noticed significant wear. At this rate of wear, if I kept using the triangle rings, I'd probably be through them in about 2 more years. I now have circular rings on my X100 and my Xpro1. It seems to have helped quite a bit since I've been using the Xpro1 for about 2.5 months now and have notice only very minor wear with some of it coming from when I had triangle rings on it for the first 3 weeks. Nothing to indicate that the amount of wear would be anything close to what I have on my X100 10 months from now.

So definitely ditch the triangle rings and at the minimum use circular rings. You will still get some wear with the circular rings, but it seems to be much much less.

framus
Contributing MemberPosts: 847Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jun 15, 2012

Sheesh!

Untwist those knickers.

Do we know for a fact that the lug material is the same in both the X100 and the Xpro-1?

Likely but not certain.

-Framus

...off to find a metalurigist.

rattymouse wrote:

FDL37 wrote:

You are an abject clown. This wear issue has been around for some time with the X100 and clearly the X Pro 1 uses the same too soft metal for the lug straps. Wear is definitely an issue. My X100 show very significant wear.

framus's gear list:framus's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
dengx
Like?
Re: Let me make sure I understand...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Jun 15, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

So is the wear on the lugs such that they are about to give-way and the strap falls off and the camera is damaged or.. is it that the lug simply shows a bit of use?

Unfortunately the first one.

Here's a pic from another thread:

Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,396Gear list
Like?
That would seem to be a real problem...
In reply to dengx, Jun 15, 2012

Yes, that would appear to be a serious problem. I am not seeing that kind of wear on my XP1.. hope it does not appear. I am using the triangular rings.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Bad Pic kev
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,759Gear list
Like?
really?

people still use straps?

you buy a camera and rather than worry about the pics you take with it the eye hooks are the primary concern.
--
I have a picture,
pinned to my wall.
An image of you and of me and we're laughing and loving it all.

Bad Pic kev's gear list:Bad Pic kev's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,453Gear list
Like?
Re: That would seem to be a real problem...
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Jun 15, 2012

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Yes, that would appear to be a serious problem. I am not seeing that kind of wear on my XP1.. hope it does not appear. I am using the triangular rings.

Definitely looks like one of those problems to be aware of, and occasionally inspect the condition of your cameras' lugs. Definitely not something I would worry myself over though.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
HetFotoAtelier
Regular MemberPosts: 495Gear list
Like?
Re: That would seem to be a real problem...
In reply to viking79, 10 months ago

The lugs of my X-pro1 are almost worn out in almost 2 years so my body is to Fuji repair today

just 2 months before warranty is over

regards,

Peter

HetFotoAtelier's gear list:HetFotoAtelier's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon Df +12 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947Gear list
Like?
In reply to tom e, 10 months ago

Several solution to avoid lug wear:

1/- replace small and ridiculous trianles by quite big rings to avoid blocage of the triangle on the wear

2/- use some solid thread/small cable instead of the ring

With the 55-200mm plus an L bracket the combo begins to be heavy so one has to be careful with that solution

I use rings and do not observe significant wear on the lugs after 18 months (small traces of abrasion on the outer part)

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 672
Like?
In reply to tom e, 10 months ago

Yes, the X100/XP1 have relatively soft lugs, which results in significant wear for some users. Wear seems to be accelerated by relatively narrow rings and/or the sharp corner of triangle rings. Newer X-series cameras have stainless steel inserts, which fixes the problem. Clearly Fuji recognized the problem and addressed it. The lug opening diameter is now smaller, so some larger-diameter rings fit tighter than they did on earlier cameras.

It doesn't seem to be a massive problem, but the lug was under-designed and corrected on later cameras. No reason to panic, but I'd say you should check the lugs if you have an X100/XP1.

tom e wrote:

Another forum has a thread suggesting that the strap lugs on the XP1 are made of a too soft metal, and that the little Fuji strap triangles are causing marked wear on the lugs. This may also be happening with split rings, but it seems the triangles are the major offender.

Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, 10 months ago

Given that it was a definite problem for the X100 ( and seemingly XP! too ), Fuji have responded by having stainless inserts in the lugs of more recent models.

What baffles me is that my XE1 still came with cheap crappy triangular split rings that have too tight an angle for the lugs. Look at any other new camera ( old ones too ) in this sort of price bracket and they have decent rings with shallower more rounded angles, often with a plastic insert that stops the ring spinining through the lugs, which is when the split parts of the ring can gouge away at the metal.

It's such a cheap fix it's beyond reason why Fuji haven't done it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads