Tamron 18-200 mm Vs Nikon 18-200

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
ashwinreddy
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Tamron 18-200 mm Vs Nikon 18-200
Jun 15, 2012

Hi ,
I have a Nikon D5100 camera , I am planning to buy a 18-200mm lens.

I see that the tamron lens are way cheaper compared to the nikon ones.

Can somebody let me know the pros and cons? and suggestions please.

Thanks

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bjorn_L
Senior MemberPosts: 4,456Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 18-200 mm Vs Nikon 18-200
In reply to ashwinreddy, Jun 15, 2012

ashwinreddy wrote:

Hi ,
I have a Nikon D5100 camera , I am planning to buy a 18-200mm lens.

I see that the tamron lens are way cheaper compared to the nikon ones.

Can somebody let me know the pros and cons? and suggestions please.

Thanks

Tamron is cheaper, Nikon is better. It's as simple as that.

I could mention that the Tamron requires more light at the long end because it is slower and unstabilized but do not see the point given the lens type. Also this info is readily available with 5 mins of googling.

The Tamron closest in quality to the Nikon is the Tamron 18-270 pzd.

None of the 18-200+ lenses offer the best image quality. You'er trading some quality for convenience. Question is how much you're willing to give up.

I'd suggest a 2 lens solution instead. 16-85 for every day (18-105 on a budget) and the 70-300vr for long shot (55-300vr on a budget). These will be better than any of the single lens solutions. I know that a single lens can be tempting. But the image quality from a decent 2 lens solution is better accross the entire range. And, it is rare to have a lens like the 16-85, 18-105 or similar and be caught off guard with the wrong lens. Being able to put better glass out front that is most suitable to what you are shooting right now is the main advantage of a DSLR.

For me these mega-zooms are a nice compliment to the 2 lens solution not a replacement.
--

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
In reply to ashwinreddy, Jun 15, 2012

If you are going to buy a Tamron get the 18-270 PZD. It is a much better lens than the 18-200. Sigma has a new superzoom out as well. The Nikon will be better than both, but it is a lot more expensive. I suggest shooting in RAW and getting DXO Optics Pro which will fix most of the distortion inherent in a superzoom lens.

IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Jun 15, 2012

gwlaw99 wrote:

If you are going to buy a Tamron get the 18-270 PZD. It is a much better lens than the 18-200. Sigma has a new superzoom out as well. The Nikon will be better than both , but it is a lot more expensive. I suggest shooting in RAW and getting DXO Optics Pro which will fix most of the distortion inherent in a superzoom lens.

Based on what exactly, the brand name? Unless you have powers of clairvoyance this is an incredibly pretentious thing to say.

The reality is that the third partys' best superzooms tend to be as good as Nikon's superzooms but a lot cheaper. The only reason to get the Nikon lens is if you're rich and want to show off how loyal you are to Nikon.

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to ashwinreddy, Jun 16, 2012

I think two of the posters gave you some pretty good advise. I'm not sure I care for any super ratio zoom but if I did, it would have to be the Nikon as the IQ is fairly reasonable for this kind of lens.

The Tamron would be my second choice, but would probably have to be the 18-270 PZ model as it would have a good motor and good stabilization like the Nikon albeit not as good IQ.

I like Bjorn's idea much better. I'd get just one lens now and it would be the 18-105 VR. It's a pretty sharp lens and will work nicely for quite a while as you develop your skills. At some point, you'll know what you're missing and better understand what your next lens should be. You might not want to go telephoto. You may want to go macro or do portraits. You might enjoy super wide angles.

Who knows? A better next purchase might be a good solid tripod or a quality external flash. Take your time.

You've got an excellent camera; have a fun time learning with it.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Jun 16, 2012

Please excuse Guidenet. He's our resident wannabe forum moderator whose opinions about camera are gear are grounded in his undying loyalty to all things Nikon, rather than in reality. He loves to derail threads that threaten to jeopardize the reputation of his brand of choice on the dpr forums as he did here. The interesting thing is, he owns thousands of dollars worth of cameras and lenses, yet he would rather police the beginner forum than take more pictures. He has almost no real experience with forum moderation. He is a fifty-something enthusiast snapshooter and can't participate a thread without continuing his perpetual circle jerk with Bjorn_L. Oh but he thinks it's fun to talk about other people on the forum like he knows everything about their lives.

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Jun 16, 2012

Superzooms keep getting better. I remember when people knocked any zoom greater than 2x. The main problem with the Tamron 18-200 is that it is not stabilized. I don't recommend a 200mm lens w/o stabilization unless price is the determining factor. I had the Nikon 18-200 VR. I now use the new Sigma 18-200 II OS HSM. To me, and according to the tests I've seen, the new Sigma is sharper. It's also smaller, lighter, and uses 62mm filters where the Nikon uses 72mm. It's also far less expensive. In spite of that it's very well built. Nikon says that their lenses do not autofocus well at apertures slower than 5.6. This lens is 6.3 at 200mm and it focuses very quickly and accurately.

Sigma just announced a similar upgrading and downsizing of their 18-250 OS HSM. I love my Sigma 18-200 II OS HSM, but had I known that the new 18-250 was coming out I would have waited to compare the two. Between the Nikon and new version Sigma 18-200, my experience with both is that he Sigma is sharper, smaller, lighter, and far less expensive. It also tests out far sharper than the Tamron 18-270 VC PZD at the long end.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to mgd43, Jun 16, 2012

Well, I admit, I'm not at all a fan of this kind of lens. We'll have to see in the future. I remember the first zoom I've owned was the terrible old Nikon 43-86. I still have the door stop.
--
Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
miatamich
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
In reply to ashwinreddy, Jun 16, 2012

I haven't used the Tamron 18-200, but my Nikon 18-200 is a nice lens. I think the key is to get a sharp copy. I've tried others and they were noticeably softer than the one I have.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads