EVF and external Flash in Manual Mode (go black?)

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
EVF and external Flash in Manual Mode (go black?)
Jun 15, 2012

My experience with EVF cams using the Sunpak 383 in Manual mode is that the EVF goes totally black at settings such as 1/250 F/anything when it's really dark outside because the camera doesn't take into account there is a flash attached.

Do the newer cams' (a77, a65, a57) EVF behave this way with a manual flash?

Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
B3Nut
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF and external Flash in Manual Mode (go black?)
In reply to Undah, Jun 15, 2012

There's a menu setting for the EVF in the new SLT's called "Setting Effect" - the default setting is "On." Turn it off when using manual flash indoors or in a studio. The purpose of the setting is to allow the EVF to display what the exposure is (more or less) going to look like. It thinks you're underexposing so the display reflects that. I don't know if the A33/A55 have this option or not.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Undah wrote:

My experience with EVF cams using the Sunpak 383 in Manual mode is that the EVF goes totally black at settings such as 1/250 F/anything when it's really dark outside because the camera doesn't take into account there is a flash attached.

Do the newer cams' (a77, a65, a57) EVF behave this way with a manual flash?

B3Nut's gear list:B3Nut's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
Re: EVF and external Flash in Manual Mode (go black?)
In reply to Undah, Jun 15, 2012

On the A77 there's a setting in the menu called "live view display".If you turn it off the image in the viewfinder will be bright regardless of your exposure settings,just like an OVF.I'm not sure about the A65 and A57 but I'm pretty sure they have the same option in the menu.Hope this helps.
Robert

Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Thanks guys (nt)
In reply to robert614, Jun 15, 2012

robert614 wrote:

On the A77 there's a setting in the menu called "live view display".If you turn it off the image in the viewfinder will be bright regardless of your exposure settings,just like an OVF.I'm not sure about the A65 and A57 but I'm pretty sure they have the same option in the menu.Hope this helps.
Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads