US Flag Day 2012

Started Jun 14, 2012 | Discussions
Princess Leia
Senior MemberPosts: 6,956
Like?
US Flag Day 2012
Jun 14, 2012

Why we love our US flag and why we fly them?

"Our flag is what connects us. The sight of the Stars and Stripes means the displayers hold dear principles that we take pride in. We believe the individual has the right to determine his own destiny. That she can choose what she believes and how she puts those beliefs in practice. We value a rule of law that has been developed over close to two hundred and fifty years, a law that gives us the power to govern ourselves and even change our minds with recall elections. "

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/06/14/flag-day-2012-our-flag-is-what-connects-us/

"I’ve read criticism of Americans for having too great a fondness for our flag. Visitors from other countries don’t understand why we take such pride in displaying our nation’s flag in front of our homes, our businesses, every public building, and every possible uniform. "

This is so true. So many foreigners especially liberals can't comprehend why we love our flag and what it represents.

LeRentier
Forum ProPosts: 12,202Gear list
Like?
Re: US Flag Day 2012
In reply to Princess Leia, Jun 14, 2012

Princess Leia wrote:

"Our flag is what connects us. The sight of the Stars and Stripes means the displayers hold dear principles that we take pride in. We believe the individual has the right to determine his own destiny. That she can choose what she believes and how she puts those beliefs in practice. We value a rule of law that has been developed over close to two hundred and fifty years, a law that gives us the power to govern ourselves and even change our minds with recall elections. "

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/06/14/flag-day-2012-our-flag-is-what-connects-us/

"I’ve read criticism of Americans for having too great a fondness for our flag. Visitors from other countries don’t understand why we take such pride in displaying our nation’s flag in front of our homes, our businesses, every public building, and every possible uniform. "

This is so true. So many foreigners especially liberals can't comprehend why we love our flag and what it represents.

-
What in the world is a foreign liberal ?
If it is someone who does not fly a US flag, I'm a foreign liberal.
If it is something else, please explain.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Princess Leia
Like?
In reply to LeRentier, Jun 14, 2012

Of course, I don't expect you to fly a US flag since you live in France. It shows you are not proud to be a French and hates your country.

Foreigners = tourists who are liberals visiting our beloved great country the USA!

LeRentier wrote:

Princess Leia wrote:

-

LeRentier
Like?

Princess Leia wrote:

Of course, I don't expect you to fly a US flag since you live in France. It shows you are not proud to be a French and hates your country.

Foreigners = tourists who are liberals visiting our beloved great country the USA!

LeRentier wrote:

Princess Leia wrote:

-

The last people in Europe to fly as many flags as the average American were the Nazis.

All those flags in the US make me think people need those as much as Linus needs his little blanket.

TFergus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

Oh... fLag day ?

JasonMI
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?

Princess Leia wrote:

We do?

Chipsthe1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,469
Like?

LeRentier wrote:

The last people in Europe to fly as many flags as the average American were the Nazis.

All those flags in the US make me think people need those as much as Linus needs his little blanket.

I take a bit of an exception to your comments. My father lost a leg, the entire leg, fighting in France in WWI. My brother dropped out of high school when the US entered WWII.

So now you wish to say my father and brother were like Nazis. What a crude and ridiculous comment. If the French, or any part of Europe does not wish to fly flags it is fine with me. But when you come in here and imply the average American is somehow like the Nazis I take great exception to your remark. Either you know little about Americans on nothing about the Nazis. But then I take it from your use of Linus in your post that may be the extent of your reading of history, either American or French.

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,170
Like?

I fink U trolling
and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

http://kvincentphotography.ca/stackedimages
http://kvincentphotography.ca/designerflorals
http://kvincentphotography.ca/macro

Chato
Forum ProPosts: 42,761Gear list
Like?
A flag

Is of course a symbol. In and of itself is has no "value." It represents a country - And a country consists of it's people and it's culture.

To some the symbol has become more important than the reality. They literally worship the symbol. It's a form of pagan idolatry. So they pass laws making it a crime to damage the "symbol," as oppposed to some of those who worship the symbol but have no problem destroying the reality.

Now in my particular form of politics, I have no problem with the Flag as a symbolic represententation of the larger reality. But I'll be damned if I worship anything symbolic. Flags, once they become more than a symbol, are a refuge for those unable to actually think. Like I said, they can become a form of idolatry.

Dave
--
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

LeRentier
Like?
In reply to Chipsthe1, Jun 14, 2012

Most people in Europe just don't like that flag flying thing.

To most of us it brings back memories of that hated flag which was going to dominate the world.

You were brought up waving flags so you don't know what it does to others.

Because I'm a very peaceful person, I prefer to relate your flag waving to Linus's blanket, the need to feel reassured, etc. instead of more aggressive motives.

Just think about the fact that today the US is the only nation in the world where the people wave their flag as frantically as you do.

René Schuster
Forum ProPosts: 11,621
Like?

Princess Leia wrote:

So many foreigners especially liberals can't comprehend why we love our flag and what it represents.

"Can't comprehend"? Wrong! We are just amused! Like watching kids play. One day they will hopefully grow up, too. And play different games.

RS

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

it's not about being liberal or comprehension...........we just aren't that bothered in the UK, you'll see more Union flags and St George crosses during the Euro football finals as sign of support for our national team, not for being born in a certain part of the world.
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

Chipsthe1
Like?

LeRentier wrote:

Is that because the people in Europe are not proud of their flag? I find that most difficult to believe.

To most of us it brings back memories of that hated flag which was going to dominate the world.

The majority of the population in France, and Europe, were not even alive when the Nazi flag was being flown so what you are trying to do is justify your own mind set with something of which you did not experience and know only from reading. Or from something somebody told you.

What ever do you mean? Does it bring back memories when the US finally entered WWI and helped finish off the Kaiser. And left a good many bodies on the foreign soil in Europe? Or do you mean when the US finally joined WWII and helped the Allied countries finish off Hitler? And again left a good many bodies on foreign soil. Does that embarrass you? Is that what you mean/

Because I'm a very peaceful person, I prefer to relate your flag waving to Linus's blanket, the need to feel reassured, etc. instead of more aggressive motives.

Just think about the fact that today the US is the only nation in the world where the people wave their flag as frantically as you do.

You mistake flying the American flag as some frantic action but of course it is not. It is a way Americans honor their country. If it bothers you for whatever reason the solution is simple, do not look. But do not come in here and with a holier than thou attitude and imply it should stop because the flag waving bothers you. It certainly did not bother many of your people when the Americans waved that flag on foreign soil in 1914 and it certainly did not bother many of your people when that flag was waved on foreign soil in 1941.

-- hide signature --

Shoot lots of pictures, always fill the frame

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 16,170
Like?
In reply to muddyfunster, Jun 14, 2012

uddyfunster wrote:

it's not about being liberal or comprehension...........we just aren't that bothered in the UK, you'll see more Union flags and St George crosses during the Euro football finals as sign of support for our national team, not for being born in a certain part of the world.

Flag waving = patriotism/nationalism....which again, is merely another way of segregating/dividing human beings...it does absolutely nothing to bring us together as "one" people.

WE are "one" people....the human race.

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

Tom C
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,488
Like?

LeRentier wrote:

I can see why you would not understand considering the only flag France is used too waving is a white flag. Ask someone that lived back in the 30’s and 40’s what the Stars and Stripes means to them. There are 11 American Military Cemeteries in France, there is one French cemetery from the American Revolution in America.
--
Tom
When my bones turn to dust,
and if my CD's didn't rust,
future generations will see my photos
and think that I was nuts.

LeRentier
Like?
In reply to Chipsthe1, Jun 14, 2012

You admit your inability to understand why other people are not like you.
Wonderful, it makes a discussion impossible.
Happy flag waving.

LeRentier
Like?
In reply to Tom C, Jun 14, 2012

Thinking about it, your comment is fairly stupid.

Chipsthe1
Like?

LeRentier wrote:

You admit your inability to understand why other people are not like you.
Wonderful, it makes a discussion impossible.
Happy flag waving.

I have said nothing about why other people are not like you. I was attempting to explain why Americans fly, and honor the flag. Obviously such a thing is beyond your ability to grasp.

So then you give up. Part of a tradition I guess.

JasonMI
Regular MemberPosts: 475
Like?
In reply to Tom C, Jun 14, 2012

I can see why you would not understand considering the only flag France is used too waving is a white flag. Ask someone that lived back in the 30’s and 40’s what the Stars and Stripes means to them. There are 11 American Military Cemeteries in France, there is one French cemetery from the American Revolution in America.

Since you like dredging up ancient history, consider that we'd be celebrating the queen right now if it weren't for the French. I can easily ask someone from the 30's and 40's; what it means is a bad economy, a bad government, and a lot of racism.

Princess Leia
Like?
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Jun 14, 2012

We are one, we are all children of God!

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

uddyfunster wrote:

Flag waving = patriotism/nationalism....which again, is merely another way of segregating/dividing human beings...it does absolutely nothing to bring us together as "one" people.

WE are "one" people....the human race.

KEV

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads