When the M8 starts to be forgotten...

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions
Pandaemas
Contributing MemberPosts: 554
Like?
When the M8 starts to be forgotten...
Jun 13, 2012

I think the M8 is still a very capable camera. Despite having other cameras such as the M9 and also the OM-D EM-5, I find the M8 provides a unique characteristic of it's own. And at times I think I like it better than both of my cameras, especially for outdoor shots.

It's a bit unfortunate that the ISO capability is not as good as many hoped for, but I have gone to ISO 1250 and many times at ISO 2500, and found no problems with it.

Matched with my recently acquired 50 collapsible summicron, I think it's MY classic to keep.

xtforest
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Re: When the M8 starts to be forgotten...
In reply to Pandaemas, Jun 13, 2012

yup, agree. When I finally got an M9, it was great to use all that glass at their native focal lengths, but I keep gravitating back to my M8. As I've said before, I prefer the metering on the M8; my favorite combo is M8 with Zeiss 28/f2.8 Biogon.
Cheers,
Rob

xtforest's gear list:xtforest's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pandaemas, Jun 13, 2012

I agree.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Clint Dunn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
Ahh yes...the M8
In reply to Pandaemas, Jun 14, 2012

I recently sold my M8 to fund the purchase of an XPro-1. It was a tough decision for me as I LOVED the M8....the image quality at base ISO is magical and the resolution with my 50mm Summicron and Zeiss 25mm were just crazy, good....well beyond what you would expect from a 10MP sensor.

At the end of the day the M8 was getting long in the tooth and I lusted for the Fuji...so I jumped ship. I've ordered the M adapter for the Fuji and kept my M lenses so I'm eager to see how they work out.

I will say the M8 was an awesome investment; I bought the camera used but in mint condition for $2k, used it for a year and a half and then sold it for $1950.....pretty good if you ask me!

Clint
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60455482@N00/

Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Alex K.
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
Re: Ahh yes...the M8
In reply to Clint Dunn, Jun 14, 2012

it can't be an investment if u lost money :). I would call it a cheap rental

rusch07
Contributing MemberPosts: 584
Like?

I remember a very early comparison done by Irakly regarding M8 and M9, resulting in the statement that the IQ of M8 is at least as good as IQ of M9.

That is why I'm using the M8 - as well as other cameras - in parallel to M9.

And I'm experimenting now with M8 as bw only camera (not only following a comment given by Artchoke).

Kind regards

rusch07

Bryan Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?

Nice photos! I like the last one the best. There is something wonderful about b&w photos that come from the M8 that I can't quite put my finger on. The M9 also makes equally beautiful b&w images but they look a bit different.

steveleicaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 641Gear list
Like?

I was a massive fan of my M8. A great camera whatever it's faults and still a landmark in my opinion.

steveleicaman's gear list:steveleicaman's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +1 more
seadog58
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pandaemas, Jun 15, 2012

Love my M8. Use it a 28mm all the time. Took great pictures at a wedding last week. I shoot it in raw and black and white. Just love the way it renders it in black and white. it's still a joy to use and very happy with the picture quality. it does have it's quirks but what camera doesn't. At the end of the day I still enjoy shooting with it.

bpalme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to seadog58, Jun 15, 2012

At least it wasn't painted grey. I love the Native focal length but if I had it to do over I would have kept the M8.
--
M9|28|35|50
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28346880@N05/

bpalme's gear list:bpalme's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,199Gear list
Like?
In reply to bpalme, Jun 18, 2012

Agree with you guys - the M8 color signature as well as B&W renderings have some magic to them. I couldn't bring myself to part with my M8. Have been shooting with it recently - really glad I didn't get rid of it. Hope to post some images soon.

Cheers,
-raaj
--
'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
http://www.seekinglight.net

Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,854Gear list
Like?
holding onto my M8 as well
In reply to RaajS, Jun 18, 2012

it was the first digital M & I love the chrome finish of mine

can't say that I have used it since getting the M9, but I'm keeping my ir/cut filter collection, just in case I have to put it back into active duty
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +10 more
xtforest
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Supanova: Sydney
In reply to Artichoke, Jun 18, 2012

Here's one from the weekend, at Supanova Pop Culture Festival, Sydney: endless queues for book signings, celebrity pics and general hero worship.
M8, Zeiss 28mm Biogon, f2.8@1/4s,
Cheers,
Rob

xtforest's gear list:xtforest's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads